Middle Class Pubs

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Edited by author
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 14 Oct 2006 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
leaf

Post by leaf »

oh greg,you can be incredibly offensive at times :roll:

dont know what still_robbo has done to offend you so?

your crawl under their stone comment wasnt really called for and i think it was fair comment by SR to say what he said.

i hope that the current patrons of the dolphin stay just to p*** off all you lot!!
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

OK maybe you can take my comment as a personal attack, it wasn't meant to be. I was just picking up on what I felt to be a rather unpleasant sentiment.

I agree with most of what is said on STF and feel that everybody who lives here has a right to comment. If I disagree with what is being said I have the right to comment - it would be a dull place if we all agreed.

I don't have an axe to grind here - I've been in the Dolphin once, a long time ago. I'm certainly more likely to go now it has good food, nice decor, friendly staff etc. So I welcome the changes there.

I love Sydenham more than any other place I've lived before and the mix of people is one of the main reasons why, but I want tomorrow's Sydenham to be fun and inclusive not another exclusive, but dull suburb.

As we move forward, we should all move forward, not just those lucky enough to be thought "upmarket" enough.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Greg you are very bad. Its not nice to accuse people of being paedo-uncles! And I'm sure that whoever was running the Dolphin was a bit clueless or disinterested or even just lacking in finances rather than actively evil!
Tut.
Last edited by Juwlz on 14 Oct 2006 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Greg, you naughty man, our meeting at the Subterranean Sydenham HQ is verified for tomorrow (Saturday) at 1700 hours--sharp! I'm not sure if you got the message, but I do hope you can come along! You should find the experience most refreshing and therapeutic... :lol:
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I am terrible, yes. still_robbo I can only apologise and edit my comment. Leaf, Julwz and Falkor I hope having met me you'd see it's out of character (Leaf aside). By reacting to what people tell me of for is going against my 'freedom of post' comment so as still_robbo quite correctly states - I am no better than those I think I'm better than.

Comments edited.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Greg, you missed out on the tunnel adventure, but you probably had a better day at the football stadium... Wasn't that much to see in the tunnel, but I'm going to put up some photos in a few hours just to show you...

I haven't even bothered reading this 7 or 8 page thread about middle class pubs (not really interested), but having met him on the 8th, I know Greg is cool... We all have our bad days and say things on forums that we don't really mean or could offend certain people etc.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

True, it was a bad day BUT it doesn't make it right - Leaf must be appalled at some of the things she reads. I must learn to curb my temper and not infer tone that isn't there. Still_robbo would like to come on the next walk-about. We've nothing planned Rob (if you don't mind me calling you by your name then please let me know) but Falkor and I we're thinking of maybe checking out the Kirkdale side of Upper Sydenham - say from Eliot Lodge down to Cobbs corner and all there's to see there.

Call me on mobile if anyone is keen...

07801 194177
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

ner ner-ner ner ner- I have been in the tunnel (twice!) and u ain't.
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

Noone asked me to come to the tunnel again, I even charged my torch and my cold has gone!

Penge outcast :cry:
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Geez, I dunno what to say... I'm really sorry, my old mate... You're welcome to come along tomorrow... just give Greg a call... not sure where we're meeting this time... probably the CPM again, unless you guys would rather wait for me in the Wood House or something... It's getting dark real early now, too... BTW, do you know anything about that Watermen's Square in Penge?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Aw, Illuminance,
didn't u see the post from Falkor about meeting at the 'subterranean Sydenham HQ at 5? And I thought you were so bright.(!)
Another visit can be arranged for those who missed out. Feel free suggest a time/day. we just didn't want to catch anything (kidding), glad its cleared up.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Hello,

Not sure if this is the best place but Rob and Falkor I'm not going to be able to make a 4 o'clock meet for a walkabout today - on orders of the better half.

Perhaps next week? We could arrange a bit of an agenda for that one?
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

That's fine by me. A week's notice is better than a couple of hours. Proposal for Kirkdale and upper sydenham sounds good though.

Rob
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Juwlz wrote:ner ner-ner ner ner- I have been in the tunnel (twice!) and u ain't.
Where's your proof? :wink:

BTW you have an uncanny knack of getting your shoes in pictures Julwz. If you look at both mine and Falkors pictures of the Greyhound time capsule and Saturday's pictures of the tunnel your boots are in there :o
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Re: proof of tunnel attendance.
My hand is in a couple of the photos. I have said hand available for a line-up if necessary.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

The scaffolding is up! [on the Dolphin]

I was getting a bit worried there for a moment.
Keef

Post by Keef »

Hello all, I am new to this forum, and actually searched for it specifically because my other half had come across this thread, and was a bit taken aback by it.

I moved to Sydenham from East Dulwich (where I'm from) back in February, and for the most part, love it. However, I do feel that it's lacking in nice places to go out.....

I do really like The Railway, in that it's traditional, they're welcoming, and it's okay for watching footie. However, it's not really a Friday/Saturday night venue.

On the occasions that I have been in to The Greyhound, I must admit I've found it very friendly. That said, it is somewhat intimidating, particularly in summer, when there are loads of people outside, who look like they fancy a brawl!

Thing is, what do you do?!?!?!?

I'd hate for Sydenham to go down the same path as East Dulwich, and be overrun by painfully trendy people who go to certain places because they're the places "to be seen". It always makes me laugh that while all the yummy mummy's are stood sipping cocktails, they are being checked out by the same blokes who used to sell coke in The Foresters then have a Friday night fight (before it became the very busy, Bishop with it's flat beer). If only they knew! :twisted:

Having said that, I still find myself regularly sitting on a 176 down the road to visit my old local (The CPT) in Dulwich... This is partly because all my friends are lazy gits who can't be bothered coming all the way up the hill to Sydenham. But it's also because when they have done, I have nowhere to take them for a nice beer. :?

So, I guess I'd like to see a couple of nice pubs, with a slightly younger clientele than the Railway, but not so trendy they make you feel ashamed if you order a plain old pint of lager as opposed to a £6 cocktail! 8)

Anyway, nice forum.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Hi keef

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully the soon to be reopened Dolphin will be a great place for a drink. If its sister pub in Forest Hill, the Dartmouth Arms, is anything to go by it may be just what you're looking for!

See http://www.thedolphinsydenham.com/ for more information.
leaf

Post by leaf »

"It always makes me laugh that while all the yummy mummy's are stood sipping cocktails, they are being checked out by the same blokes who used to sell coke in The Foresters then have a Friday night fight (before it became the very busy, Bishop with it's flat beer). If only they knew!"

:lol: i know exactly what/who you mean!

welcome to sydenham and the forum.

i must say,the dolphin is looking really nice already,it looks so much nicer painted the way it is now.