Avoiding the Supermarkets

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Rich A

Avoiding the Supermarkets

Post by Rich A »

Hello. I'm new to Sydenham and after a few months of SavaCentre shopping I'd like to make an effort to support local businesses. Does anyone know of any good local food shops or markets for fruit and veg, bread and meat etc?
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Fresh and Fruity on the high street is brilliant - and the people are lovely too! Mr Boston the Butcher on Perry Hill is fantastic - organic chicken, meat from named farms etc. The Turkish shop on the bridge near Cobbs Corner is also good for fruit, veg and big bunches of herbs - as is the Mediterranean shop opposite Somerfields. The Persian deli opposite the junction with Newlands Park is brilliant for all things Middle Eastern - including amazing 'sweet' lemons in season, huge sacks of rice and a wonderful array of nuts, olives and dried fruit. We had a great fishmonger until recently - but sadly no longer... we now rely on a bloke from South Shields who appears once every three months with monkfish, sole etc. However, I think there is a good fishmonger in West Norwood.
Juwlz

local shops

Post by Juwlz »

I'm moving to Sydenham from East Dulwich. I have lived in East Dulwich for 7 years and I was waiting all that time for a butchers to open, I was almost gonna open one myself at one stage, I knew it would be so successful, cos there are a lot of people who want to buy meat that has been produced with a bit of respect for the farmers and the animals (and the environment). Lots of people with kids only feed them organic food (understandable). I am so pleased that the new butchers on lordship lane is so popular ( I go there myself all the time). I really love East Dulwich and thank goodness its more than just about shops selling knick-knacks( tho' i'd be lying if I said I didnt like the odd knick knack too!) There are a lot of people sick of supermarkets. I used to go to the big sainsburys at the bottom of Dog Kennel Hill. I only go there now if I need something obscure., or at midnight!!. I don't buy fruit and veg there anymore, I got fed up with the lack of local produce, buying tasteless apples from abroad, out of season etc, and then when the farmer's markets started to happen I realised – it doesn't have to be like this! The success of the farmers markets and the small shops in East Dulwich selling food essentials is a big deal, and though I'm moving to Sydenham I will still shop in east Dulwich if I can't get oraganic meat etc. in sydenham. I have noticed a green grocers on sydenham high street (any good?) but I dunno about a butchers, I like to buy free-range and organic meat if poss. and nice locally (england) grown fruit and veg.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

The greengrocers shop is lovely - people are terrific, and there is a good range of produce (they may not be 100% organic as in ED but they are definitely seasonal - for instance, they had all the different kinds of plums and greengages you could want thru September/October). Somerfields seem to be stocking more organic meat - they use named West Country and Scottish producers; towards Catford on Perry Hill are Bostons the Butchers - they are terrific. Also Well Being - great health food shop with organic veg, snacks, remedies etc. A clutch of smaller Mediterranean and Middle Eastern shops - including the amazing Persian foodmarket - brilliant stuff in there! Know what you mean about supermarkets - our equivalent of Dog Kennel Hill is Sainsbury's at Bell Green - truly depressing!