The dark side of Sydenham?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Flekkegirl

The dark side of Sydenham?

Post by Flekkegirl »

I ask this question in a state of relative naiivity and ignorance about Sydenham - so please don't think that anything is implied by it! I'd just really like a sense of people's opinions.

I currently live in Forest Hill and have lived in various parts of Brockley. I'm thinking of moving out to Sydenham. To oversimplify slightly: in both Brockley and Forest Hill there is something of a split along the railway lines - on one side, things are more run down and feel less safe in terms of walking home alone at night; on the other side, things are 'posher,' more expensive, and walking home feels safer.

Are there similar 'zones' in Sydenham, and if so, how many are there, how pronounced are their differences, and where do their boundaries lie?

Thanks...
bensonby

Re: The dark side of Sydenham?

Post by bensonby »

Flekkegirl wrote:I ask this question in a state of relative naiivity and ignorance about Sydenham - so please don't think that anything is implied by it! I'd just really like a sense of people's opinions.

I currently live in Forest Hill and have lived in various parts of Brockley. I'm thinking of moving out to Sydenham. To oversimplify slightly: in both Brockley and Forest Hill there is something of a split along the railway lines - on one side, things are more run down and feel less safe in terms of walking home alone at night; on the other side, things are 'posher,' more expensive, and walking home feels safer.

Are there similar 'zones' in Sydenham, and if so, how many are there, how pronounced are their differences, and where do their boundaries lie?

Thanks...

not as far as I am aware..... that said, I've heard something sinister lurks in Bishopsthorpe road...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am not sure SE 23 is quite as divided as you say. There are many areas north of the line where I would feel more unsafe than areas to the South.
True average income probably higher north of the line but the criminal fraternity have wised up to that and better pickings.

Re Sydenham there are some dodgy areas but not divided by the railway .
Guess I would be told of by listing some
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Going back to the OP, I think that Sydenham is a bit of a patchwork quilt of leafy areas, OK areas and not so good areas. I myself live in a OK area, but I've only got to walk two minutes in one direction to reach a not so good area and two minutes in the opposite direction to go to a leafy area. So, it's a bit difficult to make generalisations, although the Thorpe estate (which includes Bishopsthorpe Road - there's nothing sinister there in my opinion) is particularly nice. I would suggest spending a bit of time walking the streets (which should be easier once it gets lighter in the evenings shortly) seeing which areas you like, and checking out public transport links, shops etc.
McLondres

Re: The dark side of Sydenham?

Post by McLondres »

bensonby wrote:
Flekkegirl wrote:I ask this question in a state of relative naiivity and ignorance about Sydenham - so please don't think that anything is implied by it! I'd just really like a sense of people's opinions.

Thanks...

not as far as I am aware..... that said, I've heard something sinister lurks in Bishopsthorpe road...
Lambchop's Mum?
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

hahahah!

look out, she's a mad shagger!
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

I know what you mean about Brockley...I lived on the west side of the tracks and it was a bit shit.

Sydenham doesn't seem to be as easily divided as that, though I reckon that "up the hill" is better than "down the hill".
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I lived in Brockley and moved to Sydenham. I'm so glad I did.

OK, Sydenham isn't perfect, far far from it infact. There isn't really a huge divide like in Brockley, not from my experience, and you get a hell of a lot more for your money all within a short walk of numerous parks.

And we are starting to get more quality businesses.

And you get a seat on the train in the morning.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Upper Sydenham is definitly safer than lower but you don't have as many shops at your disposal. The Wells park area is pretty sketchy though. Do yourself a favour and move the better side of Forest hill, the Dartmouth rd side of the tracks. Far less mouth breathers to put up with.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

bigbadwolf wrote:Upper Sydenham is definitly safer than lower but you don't have as many shops at your disposal. The Wells park area is pretty sketchy though. Do yourself a favour and move the better side of Forest hill, the Dartmouth rd side of the tracks. Far less mouth breathers to put up with.
Really? I appreciate it is your personal opinion (as with lambchops who expressed a similar sentiment) but guess what? I disagree. But given that I actually live in Upper Sydenham you might be surprised to hear me saying as such.

I'd like to hear what you base this on?

If we take Lower Sydenham in it's correct form (i.e. 'south' of the Railway line) I have to say many of Sydenham's finest roads are to be found there. I'm a particular fan of Trewsbury Road; Byne Road; Mayow Road; Newlands Park. In fact I think there are perhaps only about 3 areas of Lower Sydenham I would not recommend to Flekkegirl. I'm not going to start a flame war and name them but I will say that they lack the Victorian and Edwardian architecture that most of the other streets boast in spades...

Upper Sydenham does have it's Lawrie Park Triangle; Charleville Circus et al but you cite perfectly the area that most of Sydenham's ills seem to stem from. This is not to say that Local Authority housing neccesitates trouble but Upper Sydenham does have more than it's fair share of that [LA housing] also.

Again let me be clear I am not suggesting for one minute that the residents of Sheenewood and Wells Park or Sydenham Park and the such are all trouble makers but I would say that the troublesome minority do seem to be put there. Clearly they are not sink-estates...I'll stop digging! :oops:

You mention the shops also. Sydenham Road may be getting smartened up with The Dolphin etc and may still need a bit more spit-and-polish here and there but it's not as if the parades of Kirkdale and Dartmouth Road are much to write home about, is it? There must be reasons why most of Sydenham's crown-jewels are to found in Lower Sydenham - wouldn't you say?

Anyway not trying to incite but Thomas has already made the most valid point of all. FLEKKEGIRL - arm yourself with an A2Z and come walk the streets of both areas. You'll quickly suss out where to buy and perhaps just as quickly where not to...in both Upper and Lower Sydenham.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Just to expand on the points I raised in my original e-mail (thanks Ulysses for your comments above) you might be better off considering particular streets rather than areas. Also I think different people have different ideas of what constitutes "upper" and "lower" - I wouldn't consider the Lawrie Park area as "upper" for example. I bought my flat about 3 years ago, and had not lived in the area beforehand,and it's all worked out well since then, but looking back I wish I had spent more time considering which parts of Sydenham were most suitable for me - I basically found a flat I liked and decided to buy it! Once I moved to the area I then spent a lot of time exploring the area (and there are plenty of places to see, and many hidden corners worth exploring).