New to town!!

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Ezza

New to town!!

Post by Ezza »

Hi There,
I am due to move to Sydenham in afew weeks with two friends (all 22/23), and being new to London in general, I was wondering if there are any tips in terms of safety, good taxi companies, food stores, restaurants and bars that are good to hang out in? Area's to keep away from if any?
Also does anyone know of the nearest Bikram yoga class - I can't seem to locate one in Sydenham. And any jazz and tap classes too?

Thanks for your help -
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

Hi Ezza
I think your nearest Bikram yoga class is north of the river - in Old Street, N1 (not too bad a journey back though on the tube and train). If you fancy Iyenga, yhere are two fantastic classes at LA Fitness - Saturday afternoon and Monday night, with a really brilliant teacher - always quite challenging. There are a lot of quite experienced yogis there so I'll ask around for any leads on Bikram...
Sydenham is pretty safe and friendly - you'll find it has quite a 'villagey' atmosphere! The cab office by the station is good too. We've got a great Indian restaurant (Ghurkas) and a good Turkish one too. Forest Hill has Kafe La, Aceri and the Dartmouth Arms - great food. Lots going on too up the hill in Crystal Palace.
I'm not too sure about jazz and tap - I'm sure there must be classes somwhere!
Have fun!
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Hi Ezza

Agree with everything Annabel says. Couple of other items of info:

In 2010 we will be directly connected to the London Underground by the East London Line Extension. Along with the overground rail system this will mean 8 trains an hour to London - travel time approx 20 mins!

And apart from this lively web-site there is also the Sydenham Society - an amenity society with nearly 1100 members - have a look at our web-site on www.sydenhamsociety.com. At £6 per year and 4 quarterly newsletters it offers superb value!
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Hi Ezza,

Welcome. To follow up Pat's transport comment and trying to remember when I was in my twenties - the prime requirement is Sydenham as a crash pad to enjoy all of London. Even without the tube - it is currently 17 minutes from London Bridge. When cash gets tight or its after midnight then Oxford Street is only 80p (with oystercard) and 45 minutes away by bus. The 176 runs all through the night invaluable when some black cabs are reluctant to cross the river.

For the morning after - Sydenham has greenery to walk off the effects. Crystal Palace Park, of course, but don't forget Sydenham Wells, Mayow Park and Home Park.

Somerfields main source of income appears to be selling packets of pizza and a bottle of wine to commuters on the way home - and the fresh fruit & veg has improved since the former safeway store escaped the clutches of Morrisons.

What Sydenham lacks can usually be found in neighbouring Forest Hill or Penge. Beckenham if you want Waitrose and Bromley is a more pleasant shopping centre than Croydon or the West End in my opinion.

Paddy
aidy_b

Post by aidy_b »

Again, I agree with everything that's already been written.

I've lived in Sydenham for 8 years now and I love it. It is close enough to "Town" to get home after a night out. It also has enough going on nearby to be a night out. Transport links are superb and the tube is (eventually) coming.

Green parks a-plenty and decent places to live.

What more could you ask?