Shop next to trophy shop

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
fat_mike

Shop next to trophy shop

Post by fat_mike »

Hi all
does anyone know what the shop next to the Greyhound will be? It's used to be called something like Hakan (sp?) and was open for about a week before it closed
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Hi Mike

I thought it was pretty weird - the shop which had been a general food store (and did brilliant Turkish bread and wraps, freshly delivered) was replaced by a hairdressers.

It didnt exactly look like Vidal Sassoon, but someone obviously spent a few quid - having basins put in, and the like.

In the couple of months it was open, I never saw a single person in there (proprietor or client) nor did I see any sort of attempt at marketing the place (with fliers etc).

It was hardly a surprise when it closed down - but what its going to be next is anyone's guess.

I await the 'wish list' in another thread; someone will no doubt hope it becomes an organic toy shop, or a suit shop for pearly kings and queens.
fat_mike

Post by fat_mike »

I'm not feeling optimistic as to what it will become. The workmen there at the moment finished building what looked like a 'waiting' bench, one of those ones that you get at a barbers.

So I guess it may become a barbers, but that's just my guess.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The business as a hairdressers failed. Probably because we have loads of them already and they did nothing different, they didn't make it feel or look special.

Lets hope the new tennents learn and give Sydomites something people actually want or need. And then make it look great.

On a positive note, while we had one nail bar (which always seems to look busy but looks a bit naff) we now seem to have another: Inspire.
And it looks great. It actually look like it's supposed to make you look and feel better. I hope it does well, I hope other businesses learn from it.
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

Where's the nail bar?

I actually checked out the prices in that hairdresses when it was open and didn't find the price competative at all. For somewhere that was now opening I found that they should have been cheaper to get me to 'try them out'.
Willy

Post by Willy »

someone will no doubt hope it becomes an organic toy shop, or a suit shop for pearly kings and queens.
:lol: I really hope so!!!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Well, they've installed a sink and a barber style seat, so I'm guessing it will be yet another barber or hairdresser......
fat_mike

Post by fat_mike »

I walked past there on the way home from work and have a sneaky suspicion that it will become an Afro-Carribean barbers, but again it's only my thoughts
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree so many barbers / hairdressers in Sydenham. Only so much hair.

I cannot see one one these so called nail shops. Think nails should be left to Syd DIY , they are the experts . Seriously though with money meant to be getting tight surely a nail bar is the first thing you would stop.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I think we must have 3 nail bars now then with this new one. I think the shop you're discussing is owned by the guy who owns Hilltop Cafe so if anyone pops in they could ask him why we need more hairdressers!!!
poppy

Post by poppy »

Why doesn't everyone (including myself) look well-groomed then? Who is being spruced up? I don't see much evidence on the high street :o
jasonwebber

Post by jasonwebber »

Looks like they've finished and also revealed an old sign for Johns Greengrocers

I'm looking forward to my facial waxing!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I hope they put a decent sign above the shop, unlike the new one for the place next to Desire which is HORRIBLE.