7.40am to London Bridge...

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
natbeuk

7.40am to London Bridge...

Post by natbeuk »

Anyone (Barty?) know why the 7.40am train was seemingly replaced by a 7.37am train this morning? I got to the station and was thoroughly confused, but was relieved to see that the "7.37" was running late so I wasn't going to miss it! I thought maybe I'd missed a timetable change but I just checked Southern's website and they're saying the train is still running at 7.40am.....

Any ideas? Without the side gate being open those 3 mins make a big difference!
Barty

Post by Barty »

The problem I have is that I don't have access to the system that records details of trains that have run in the past, I can only look at trains that are due to run between the time I am looking at around 2am the following morning.

The one thing that did spring to mind, is that maybe a train or two was cancelled and another train that would usually pass through Syd made an extra stop....in that scenario it's unlikely to be at the time scheduled in the timetable - because it's a different train.

If that was the case, though, the 0740 would have been displayed as "CANCELLED" and when the 0737 was displayed on the screen, it should have shown the message "Additional service" on the yellow display on the platform. Did you notice anything like that?

The other flaw with my theory is that trains don't usually make additional stops when there are plenty of other alternatives - if Syd only had an hourly service and one got cancelled, Control would make something stop there additionally, but London Bridge trains aren't much more than ten mins apart at that time of the day.

At the time I was dealing with a broken down train at Horley and the resultant service chaos for passengers between Purley and Redhill!!!! Usually I do try and have a look at Syd if nothing much is happening!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Nope , nothing on the display screens suggested this was anything other than normal! Which is why I checked Southern's website thinking I'd missed some sort of timetable change.

It all seemed a bit odd but I wanted to see if anyone knew what the story is so that I know if I need to leave my house 3 mins earlier than normal tomorrow or not!
Barty

Post by Barty »

Will you get a chance to come on here tomorrow morning before you set off?
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

No, I'll just have to drag myself out 3 mins early, just in case! Thanks anyway Barty :)