storm

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
lambchops

storm

Post by lambchops »

lucky i've got the brown trousers on tonight...that thunderbolt was right overhead!
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

I was just about to post the same thing... sounded like a bomb! Has something in the local area been struck by the lightning?
Barty

Post by Barty »

You two were quick off the mark! Just heard it as well.

No sirens 3 or 4 mins later so I don't reckon that was a bomb but it was bloody close!

Everyone okay out there?!
parker

Post by parker »

I thought the world had ended just then, so i came on here to check!
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I've only just recovered 12 hours later...! :lol:

That was the brightest lightning and loudest thunder I've ever witnessed, unbelievable!

The walls of our house were shaking!
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Christ that was loud. Woke me up around 11pm last night. Thumping heart. Must have been right up above us.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Anyone know if and where it hit?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

That was so scary! I was walking back to my flat and was at the corner of Kirkdale and Wells Park Road when it happened (just as I was walking under a tree with my brolly up! :shock: )

Never experienced anything like it - it was like the entire world (360 degrees) had been blanched out with a deafening crash at the same time. I couldn't see any smoke but blimey that was way too close for comfort!
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Barty wrote:Anyone know if and where it hit?
No idea, but I have to say I'm surprised that it didn't make it to ground via the Crystal Palace mast, as it's by far the tallest structure in the area. Given the fact that the lightning and thunder were separated by less than a second at our house (near Syd station), it must have hit within a couple of hundred metres or so.
oin

Post by oin »

It really was an earth shattering (and almost house-shattering) bit of weather. I've never known a thunder roll out for that long but it was the lightning that really surprised me. It was as if the world went completely white.

Despite several indications in contemporary media, I still seem to be in the same timeline and have yet to discover any superpowers. :lol:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

oin wrote:It really was an earth shattering (and almost house-shattering) bit of weather. I've never known a thunder roll out for that long but it was the lightning that really surprised me. It was as if the world went completely white.

Despite several indications in contemporary media, I still seem to be in the same timeline and have yet to discover any superpowers. :lol:
I'm "glad" you experienced it too, oin. I've been trying to explain to work colleagues how everything went white but I've never seen anything like it so it's so hard to describe! It was just like a 360 degree + tree + sky + pavement below that completely lost all colour to a brilliant white.

Actually, I feel quite privileged to have been out in the midst of the 'strike' as it must be quite rare thing to experience! 8)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I've never known a bang quite like it. Then everything went white and the earth shook.

It's like living in the tropics.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Thank god!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who experienced it. I was halfway through a spliff when it struck and I nearly shat myself.

Still.....something to tell the grandkids about I suppose.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Well, unless all that dope ruins your sperm count and ruins your chance of ever having grandkids!
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

That's a very good point you've made Thomas. I suppose that I'll just have to keep on 'trying' then wont I. I wont let on that my efforts may be futile...where's the fun in that...for me?

If on the other hand I do 'strike lucky' I'll have them earning their crust by peddling certain herbs on the street.

No free hand outs round here I'll have you know.
bradfordroadgirl

Post by bradfordroadgirl »

I live on Westbourne Drive and was SURE one fork of lightening hit our front garden. The porch and front of the house shook......... however, reading some of your reports it may have just seemed to be that near. Just after us there is a side road and the street light there had red sparks coming from it. The fork of lightening was red as we looked up through the window and really did seem like it came right down on us.

I don't do spliffs but if someone had passed me one right then, I would have puffed it in shock!!

:shock:
Donny

Post by Donny »

I was talking about this over lunch - a fireman joined in the conversation. He reckoned there were three major strikes they were called to in london one in Penge - just found this on the Newsshopper

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/44985 ... rove/#base[/url]
stuart

Post by stuart »

The flash and the bang were instantaneous here in LPG so it was very, very close. The only time I have heard that before it actually hit our house. Luckily only electrical and LAN stuff was wiped that time, no external damage.

Lightening can strike twice (or very nearly).

Stuart
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

stuart wrote:The flash and the bang were instantaneous here in LPG so it was very, very close.
I reckoned it was about 200 yards SW of the Newlands Park/Sydenham Road junction. I had a little wander round there today hoping to see signs of dramatic damage, but no such luck :twisted:

Regards
Chris
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

It was the brightest loudest lightening strike I've ever seen, and I've seen a few

I think the strike may have hit the tall Poplar trees that line Alexander Park next to the secret Police facility.

Or maybe the Met used the cover of a lightening storm to test out a new crowd control device.

The truth is out there. 8)