75 bus diversion

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Barty

75 bus diversion

Post by Barty »

I remembered spotting a Croydon-bound 75 turning left rather than right out of Mayow Road the other day. Today I had to go into Penge - since Croydon-bound 75's were obviously not coming up the high street and going down Newlands Park I set off down towards the Merc van garage on the corner of Mayow.

When I got down there, a sign over the bus stop (which is designated Stop M) said "Bus Stop Not In Use", and a note in the section where the timetable is said "Use Temporary Bus Stop 25 metres further back".

I took "25 metres back" as meaning back along the route, i.e. in a Lewisham direction up Mayow Road. So I set off up Mayow Road looking for a temporary lollipop bus stop on a big round concrete base.

Cursing as a Croydon 75 passed me, I eventually reached Stop L, opposite the entrance to Mayow Park, a good 100-150 metres up the hill. No temp stop 25 metres away.

This bus stop had a note on it about the diversion, saying that the nearest bus stops in use was Stop M......the one which I'd just left cos it said out of use....

The bus eventually came......and stopped at Stop M to pick up and set down passengers.

Is it worth emailing London Buses Customer Services with this story?

I doubt it.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

What is great as well is whether bus drivers choose to stop at bus stops that are on their diversion as well. I live in Kent House Road, opposite one of the 194 and 75 diversion bus stops. For days I would see all these buses stopping, letting people on and off. So I thought I was safe getting a 75 home from Ladywell and assumed it would stop, like all the others, opposite my flat. I rang the bell when we got near... and the driver just sailed straight past. :?

I went up to him to ask why he'd sailed past, and that I wanted to get off, and he said that stop isn't on his route. When I told him I live opposite and all the diverted buses have been stopping there, he begrudgingly let me off... miles down the road by now of course!

I'll be glad when this diversion is done. When is this work in Sydenham Road finishing anyway? I know they said it'd be a long time, but God this is taking the p**s!