Sky Box and heavy rain/stormy weather

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
lbere

Sky Box and heavy rain/stormy weather

Post by lbere »

Hi, we have had a sky box for about 3 months now and every time we have heavy rain/stormy weather (like now) the box does not work.

Is that right???

many thanks
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Unfortunately, it's normal.

The signal cant get through really heavy rain.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Neither can Freeview.
lbere

Post by lbere »

How crazy is that!!!

We got rid of freeview to get Sky, can say we never had a problem with Freeview in the rain or a storm. Thats why I posted the question on here.

Back to Freeview I think!!!

Thanks
dickp

Post by dickp »

It may be that your reciever on your dish has become waterlogged, and may need replacing. That's the bit that sticks out, not the dish itself.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

We are not allowed to have an external aerial (listed building) so have a high-gain one mounted in the loft. The multiplex carrying BBC has the weakest signal and is sensitive to weather conditions. Last night we had to abandon Newsnight and watch The Wire on DVD instead. Cannot say I was too unhappy about that, since my enthusiasm for current affairs is considerably less than my wife's! I guess I should have suggested switching to analogue reception instead but, unaccountably, failed to do so.

Regards
Chris
lbere

Post by lbere »

Sky gone again, how pointless is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

I can recommend Virgin Media's cable service; I pay £30 a month for TV (including live pause/rewind, iPlayer, catch-up, PVR), phone (including weekend calls) and 10Mb broadband (which actually operates at the advertised speed), which is pretty good value. Weather doesn't affect it and you don't need a dish or aerial. Having praised the product, I must also add the caveat that their customer service staff are mostly clueless, but that seems to be a constant with most large companies.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Strange, using freeview here & have had no problems, using an external aerial. Have you tried one of those signal boosters that might help?
orgone

Post by orgone »

It's called "rain fade" in the biz. Rain fade affects very high satellite-link frequencies more than lower-frequency Freeview signals (and our Freeview reception in Sydenham is about as good as it gets with Crystal Palace blasting away in clear view). To add to this, satellites are somewhere around 22 thousand miles away so signal levels are considerably weaker at the receiver.

No, i do not install aerials - even if you ask nice.