Similar messageboard for Penge?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
alywin

Similar messageboard for Penge?

Post by alywin »

Hi, I'm a newbie here, came across this site totally by accident a few months ago. Since my Sydenham "address" is very much on the Penge side of Sydenham, and much of this board seems to relate to the High-Street/Kirkdale sort of area, I was wondering if anyone knew of a similar board covering Penge? If there is, then I obviously haven't been using the right Google search terms!

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have been hoping to set up a Penge Forum for about 4 years now under the penge.org.uk moniker. However as a Sydenham lad (albeit only 50 yards from the border) I do feel it should be run, at least in part, by Penge people.

Two or three have come forward but failed at the first hurdle (buying me a pint at The Bridge Tavern). The invitation is still open.

The real problem of getting a new Forum off the ground is getting enough people to post sufficient articles to make it worth visiting. A real chicken & egg problem. Alternatively I could start a Penge/SE20 subforum here and when it reaches a critical point - transfer it out to be the base of a new Penge site.

What do people think?

Admin
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

http://www.se20.com/forum/

It's a lively and happening place!! :D
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Unless you have a clown phobia :?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think SE20.com shows the problem. It isn't a Penge forum (being an offshoot of SE23.com) and has not yet generated the posting rate to make it a viable discussion area.

So do Penge folk want to do anything about it? Drum up business for SE20.com, takeover penge.org.uk or start their own?

Admin
sophie

Post by sophie »

I like your idea of having a Penge off shoot on this site! I actually came on today to post something about eating out etc and wanted to mention a place in Penge!
Pontvert

Penge Website

Post by Pontvert »

Hi just found this discussion and as well as this site found another called www.MyPenge.co.uk not much to it yet - seems sincere
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

That MyPenge site has hardly captured the positives in its photo gallery. Where's the parks and almshouses?

Oh well, back t this thread, I'd love a decent message board for Penge. A sub forum off this one would be ideal.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Back again - I'm trying to see if there's a decent forum for Beckenham now! I certainly can't see anything nearly as vibrant as this one. The best I've found seems to be a Ning - I'm not really sure what that is, and reading all the Ts&Cs made my eyes water so much that I'm not sure I can face signing up!

What we need is a website which lists local forums in the UK ...
TopBanana

http://www.penge.org.uk/

Post by TopBanana »

admin wrote:I have been hoping to set up a Penge Forum for about 4 years now under the penge.org.uk moniker. However as a Sydenham lad (albeit only 50 yards from the border) I do feel it should be run, at least in part, by Penge people.

Two or three have come forward but failed at the first hurdle (buying me a pint at The Bridge Tavern). The invitation is still open.

The real problem of getting a new Forum off the ground is getting enough people to post sufficient articles to make it worth visiting. A real chicken & egg problem. Alternatively I could start a Penge/SE20 subforum here and when it reaches a critical point - transfer it out to be the base of a new Penge site.

What do people think?

Admin

I am prepared to step up to the plate.... Mines a Guinness.
TopBanana

Re: http://www.penge.org.uk/

Post by TopBanana »

TopBanana wrote:
admin wrote:I have been hoping to set up a Penge Forum for about 4 years now under the penge.org.uk moniker. However as a Sydenham lad (albeit only 50 yards from the border) I do feel it should be run, at least in part, by Penge people.

What do people think?

Admin

I am prepared to step up to the plate.... Mines a Guinness.
Sheila Morgan

Re: Similar messageboard for Penge?

Post by Sheila Morgan »

Dear Alywin,

FORUM FOR PENGE & ANERLEY??

I was born in Penge/Anerley in 1942 , lived most of my young life in Weighton Road, and would be happy to join a Forum/Discussion group. I attended Anerley Primary School, Penge Secondary School for Girls in Melvin Road and Bromley Technical School for Girls at Bickley (between 1947 - 1958). Loved playing tennis in Betts Park, Sundays walking in Crystal Palace Park, and swimming at the old Beckenham Swimming Pools. Anyone of that era who wants to start a forum for Penge and Anerley??

Sheila Morgan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm meeting TopB to discuss a Forum at the Hollywood Tavern (next to Penge East) on Friday at 12:30. Anybody with an interest is very welcome to join us. I'll be carrying a pink FT which should make me a tad conspicuous in those parts :wink:

Admin
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I'll be there.

Alywin:

When you say
I'm trying to see if there's a decent forum for Beckenham now! I certainly can't see anything nearly as vibrant as this one. The best I've found seems to be a Ning
do you mean this - http://www.beckenhamtown.us/?

I contacted the guy behind it, Jon Clark, who is a media buyer, and suggested meeting up, but I suspect he's not interested; my impression is that his interest is too commercial, but I may be being unfair.

I've just left a message with one of the Councillors for the ward, John Getgood, about this. He will not be able to come, but I will do what I can to encourage him to contribute should anything come of this.
Cllr John Getgood

Post by Cllr John Getgood »

Anything that helps people from Penge talk to each other is to be welcomed. The Virtual Norwood blog site covers the Penge area and I make frequent contributions. The focus is much more on the area around Crystal Palace though. I tend not to initiate discussions there, leaving it to members to raise whatever issues they deem significant. I have also occasionally responded to Penge items on this site. Is it better to have a dedicated site for Penge or to recognise it's wider connections? Up to others to decide. As well as the couple of blog sites for Penge previously mentioned, there are a couple of Penge facebook sites but they have never taken off. I also try to keep our own blog site up to date: http://www.pengeandcatorcouncillors.co.uk. It's a very simple site, so not too demanding of us. It doesn't allow others to post items but we do always respond to comments and can put them on the blog if appropriate.

Unfortunately, none of the Penge councillors can make the meeting on Friday but our role really is to supoprt whatever local people want. We'll be with you.

Cllr John Getgood
Cllr Peter Fookes
Cllr Kathy Bance
Penge & Cator
Bromley Council
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

John:

Thanks for that. I had to enter this url to see it - http://www.readmyday.co.uk/JohnGetgood
Cllr John Getgood

Post by Cllr John Getgood »

admin wrote:I'm meeting TopB to discuss a Forum at the Hollywood Tavern (next to Penge East) on Friday at 12:30.
Admin
Did anything come from the meeting?

Cllr John Getgood
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes - I hope I didn't give TB too hard a time. Its an issue of transforming enthusiasm into a practical plan. This is what I left him to to consider:

WHO? - apart from yourself, who is going to support, promote and generally participate in the project. Basically get networking.

WHAT? - Is it web based news & info service, a community forum or both. re you going to start with one and add other components later or what.

HOW? - What skillset do you have in journalism, IT. Are you going to host & finance it yourself. Or do you want to subcontract the delivery vehicle back her or to some other support organisation/person.

Now it isn't my place to be prescriptive over the answers to these questions. On the otherhand if you haven't got good robust answers then success may be elusive. So I leave it to you John, TB and anybody else in SE20 to pull it together. And you can have any help you want from me.

Admin
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Whilst not that surprised there is a not a Penge forum really surprised not a Beckenham forum
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Eagle wrote:Whilst not that surprised there is a not a Penge forum really surprised not a Beckenham forum

What do they need one for?
They already have a Waitrose.