Wises fish and chip shop?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
budweiser

Wises fish and chip shop?

Post by budweiser »

Anyone remember Wises fish and chip shop?
Used to be a couple of doors along from Colebrooks the newsagents.
budweiser

Wises fish and chip shop.

Post by budweiser »

A bit further up the road on the corner of Knighton park road used to be the United Dairies shop which later , I think, Became the co-op.
On the opposite corner was the Gulf Garage. Going back to 1968/9 now, anyone remember that?
I used to go to Adamsrill Primary school up until 1972. Can`t believe in the photos that the 2 portacabins are still at the front of the playground!! :D
Anyone remember Home park with the adventure playground at the top? There used to be the Childrens Hospital opposite it. Or am i just am old fart remembering my childhood? ( A Very Happy one at that) :( :)
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

I remember Wise's fish and chips. There was an off licence nearby...

I remember the Gulf garage on the corner of Knightion Park Road - my father got the clutch of his Austin Cambridge renewed there in 1972 and I recall it cost him £25!

I also remember there being a chemist's shop close to the corner shop - Geddes and Weir (I think). There was also a surgery nearby - from outside it appeared as just a doorway - but a long corridor led back to the surgery itslef right at the back of the building. I remember a Doctor Murray and a Doctor Butler-Jones (female) - memory ingrained because that is where I had my first innoculations. Ouch!
griffiths

Re: Wises fish and chip shop.

Post by griffiths »

budweiser wrote:A bit further up the road on the corner of Knighton park road used to be the United Dairies shop which later , I think, Became the co-op.
On the opposite corner was the Gulf Garage. Going back to 1968/9 now, anyone remember that?
I used to go to Adamsrill Primary school up until 1972. Can`t believe in the photos that the 2 portacabins are still at the front of the playground!! :D
Anyone remember Home park with the adventure playground at the top? There used to be the Childrens Hospital opposite it. Or am i just am old fart remembering my childhood? ( A Very Happy one at that) :( :)
The Childrens Hospital remained until the '70s or '80s when it was demolished. My mother was a nurse there in the '30s and I had a life-saving operation there in 1938 at the age of 3 weeks. The grocery shop on the corner of Knighton Park Road was managed by a Mr. Perks who lived with his wife and son, Leslie, in the last house on the right at the top of K P Rd.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

The Children's hospital went soon after 1989, I believe.
[my daughter was there New Year 89 when she was 1 ...a very nice little hospital. I was sad to see it go]
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

A lady I know in her 80's was a nurse at the children's hospital from 48 to about 80's.
Great pity we lost it.
Believe it is now a nursing home and Kwik Fit
leaf

Post by leaf »

Eagle wrote:A lady I know in her 80's was a nurse at the children's hospital from 48 to about 80's.
Great pity we lost it.
No it was further down the rd than that Eagle was on the corner of champion rd [?], its now flats.
rolyevans

Post by rolyevans »

leaf wrote:
Eagle wrote:A lady I know in her 80's was a nurse at the children's hospital from 48 to about 80's.
Great pity we lost it.
No it was further down the rd than that Eagle was on the corner of champion rd [?], its now flats.
Yes, it was on the corner of Champion Road - I used to live opposite
at No.9 Champion Road from 1947 - 1957
jackieboo

Post by jackieboo »

I worked in Wise's in the early 70's, during the 3 day week strikes and it was weird to be in a place lit up when everywhere else, including the streets, were dark. As it was a food supplier and people's power was off they were exempt from the cuts.

50p a night wages and bag of chips, very romantic!
debbie48

Re: Wises fish and chip shop.

Post by debbie48 »

budweiser wrote:A bit further up the road on the corner of Knighton park road used to be the United Dairies shop which later , I think, Became the co-op.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
debbie48

Re: Wises fish and chip shop?

Post by debbie48 »

Hello, I was born in hillmore grove and went to adamsrill school until '72. I must have known you? My sister spent a lot of her childhood in the childrens hospital on the top floor with the balcony and my brother and I often walked down to wave to her. I remember the dairy, the garage, dentist, sweetshop ( I'm sure there were 2) and grocer, but the only chip shop I remember was the one nearly opposite Wesley hall. I went in there every Friday after girls brigade but can't remember the name of it!

budweiser

Post by budweiser »

debbie48 wrote:Hello, I was born in hillmore grove and went to adamsrill school until '72. I must have known you? My sister spent a lot of her childhood in the childrens hospital on the top floor with the balcony and my brother and I often walked down to wave to her. I remember the dairy, the garage, dentist, sweetshop ( I'm sure there were 2) and grocer, but the only chip shop I remember was the one nearly opposite Wesley hall. I went in there every Friday after girls brigade but can't remember the name of it!
Hi Hillmore Grove was at the bottom of Broseley Grove and Knighton Park Road wasn`t it?
I`m sure the chip shop was called Wise`s but i could be wrong. :? :?
Who was your teacher at Adamsrill school, I was in Mrs Huttons class.
debbie48

Post by debbie48 »

Hello, yes that's where hillmore grove is. I can't remember any names at all unfortunately, but I do have a photo of the class I was in in adamsrill. You could be in it!