football for 5 yr old- recommendations?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
SydenhamHillAndy

football for 5 yr old- recommendations?

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

Can anyone recommend any football sessions for my 5 yr old. He is not a great one for structured group activities, so pleasantly shocked when he asked if he can go to football lessons...

The only thing is, DS is quite reticent, and so just looking for a pretty laid back opportunity to kick a ball about, rather than plans for him paying off the mortgage...

Understand there is some kind of football at Sydenham High on a Saturday. Anyone have any information on that? I'd be v grateful

Thanks
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Just take him to the park and have a kick about with him. Like my dad did with me . See if he wants a friend or two along. He'll love it.

He'll have enough 'structure' in his life at school...Too much, in fact...at 5 years old. ...Then see how things go. Weekend footy is a great idea for kids but at five, perhaps it should be a bit more 'informal'.

My son joined a little 5-a-side club at about 9...and he loved it.
yummymummy

Post by yummymummy »

Try Dulwich Hamlet Footbal club. I know they often run holiday clubs etc but not sure if they do anything all year round - worth a try.
oin

Post by oin »

They used to do them down at the Bridge Leisure centre but I think they've ceased now. They could be worth contacting.

I also saw a poster for a new group I'd not heard of, the last time I was at Eliot Bank. I'm not there often and can't remember the details but I'm hope some eagle-eyed parent can help further ...
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Andy

I've been taking my boy to football on a Saturday morning at JAGS Sports Club, which is on Red Post Hill, through Dulwich Village. Starts at about 9-00 and finishes at 10-30.

They have between 50-100 kids turn up, and they have either 3 or 4 games - after a warm up/mess about.

Danny runs it, and he is a great motivator of kids (and even remembers each of their names).

Nice atmosphere, no pushy parents, you dont have to 'sign up' to anything, and it costs just £4-00 per session. They even have a 'penalty shoot out' competition at the end of each game, and the winner gets to keep a trophy for the week

I've been taking Harry since he was 4/5 years old, and he still loves it - he's 8.
SydenhamHillAndy

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

thanks for all those tips, appreciate it. Esp like the drop-in idea!
oin

Post by oin »

I was in the school for parent's evening and saw the poster again. It was for tinyballers. I haven't tried them myself so it's just a link not a recommendation.