Ghost Stories

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
thetransmitter

Ghost Stories

Post by thetransmitter »

Hi, our christmas issuehas a ghostly theme, anyone know any local stories of ghosts?
Editor
The Transmitter Magazine
Christhom

Re: Ghost Stories

Post by Christhom »

thetransmitter wrote:Hi, our christmas issuehas a ghostly theme, anyone know any local stories of ghosts?
Editor
The Transmitter Magazine
As kids we were convinced an old lady and her dog haunted Berryman's Lane but i've only my own memories and no documents.
Anyone else remember the story ?
budweiser

Post by budweiser »

Where abouts was Berrymans lane mate? The name rings a bell, as do a lot of place names mentioned on this forum, been out of Sydenham for 37 years now. :shock:
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

It's still there budwesier. It's a short cut through that goes between Mayow Road and Sydenham Road. Sort of runs paralell to the Hazel Grove Estate.

You may know what was on that road previous? On Berrymans Lane there is now a fairly smart new development. When I moved here at the turn of the Millennium it was dilapidated but looked like it was an old printers [?].

Berrymans Lane:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=53 ... pp=map.srf

What is it with Sydenham and the possessive apostrophe? We add it where it isn't needed [as in the Two Half's pub] and omit it where you would expect it. Odd.
budweiser

Post by budweiser »

Ulysses wrote:It's still there budwesier. It's a short cut through that goes between Mayow Road and Sydenham Road. Sort of runs paralell to the Hazel Grove Estate.

You may know what was on that road previous? On Berrymans Lane there is now a fairly smart new development. When I moved here at the turn of the Millennium it was dilapidated but looked like it was an old printers [?].

Berrymans Lane:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=53 ... pp=map.srf

What is it with Sydenham and the possessive apostrophe? We add it where it isn't needed [as in the Two Half's pub] and omit it where you would expect it. Odd.
So, is that the road that used to have the old Dylon dyes factory in it next to the garage? Opposite All Saints church?
Thanks for the reply by the way, i miss the old Sydenham.
pip

Post by pip »

You are right, It was a Dylon factory when I moved to Sydenham 30 years ago. It then turned into a carpet outlet. It was abandoned shortly afterwoods and left decaying for a couple of years until it was eventually flattened to build a new housing developement.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Ulysses wrote:What is it with Sydenham and the possessive apostrophe? We add it where it isn't needed [as in the Two Half's pub] and omit it where you would expect it. Odd.
The 'Two Half's' cracks me up - it's up there in big letters and makes no sense. I can't believe they didn't know it should be 'The Two Halves' - Purleease, it looks so stupid!! :roll:
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I agree Nickerbockers. The thing is, that gross grammatical oversight will undoubtedly be lost on those who own, run and frequent that hovel of a pub.

I'd imagine just being able to read the bar tariff would be considered something of an achievement in there. Imagine how easy it would be to win their pub quiz? Although you'd need to gem up on your soaps, previous Big Brother winners and of course...sport! Everyone would play their joker in the sport round, no doubt.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

I quiet like it that its mispelled!