French Polishers near Sydenham Library...

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Ulysses

French Polishers near Sydenham Library...

Post by Ulysses »

Fairly left-field topic so I am not expecting too many replies but any and all are welcomed.

I've some furniture I need French Polishing. I used to get 'Cocco' who worked out of his home on Kirkdale to do it but he doesn't seem to be in when I try him by 'phone...

So, I spied a little French Polishers on a trip to the library the other day. Has anyone else used it? Do you know if it is still trading (it does seem a little out of kilter with the other shops that are there)? Would you trust/recommend them?

Some of the items are heirlooms and, dare I be so bold, blooming expensive antiques so I'm a little wary...

The place is a green shop pretty much directly opposite the Library.

Thanks in advance.
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

I also have some furniture that needs french polishing, and I've been eyeing up the shop by the library as well. I'm disappointed to see there haven't been any responses so far... anyone?
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

It's a fairly specifc request Julsb so I am not too disheartened, plus it hasn't yet been 24 hrs since I first posted.

If I can get a hold of Cocco I heartily suggest you use him. He told me he used to work for the Law Courts keeping their furniture tip-top and by the standard of his work I could believe it. He may have retired as he was of a certain vintage.

I guess if nobody has anything to state regarding this hidden shop - which may or may not be vacant - then can anyone recommend anywhere else locally, please?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

that shop has been there for donkey's years and hasn't changed a jot. It always looks deserted but the furniture in the window changes from time to time and you do see people out the back in there sometimes.

Something is obviously keeping it in situ.

Have you thought about popping in for a chat or something to get an impression of the place?

I'd be interested as to what they actually do...