Broseley Grove/Elvino Road/ Knighton Park Road?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
budweiser

Broseley Grove/Elvino Road/ Knighton Park Road?

Post by budweiser »

How many people on here used to live in one of these roads?
I used to live at No 4 Elvino Rd and my Nan and Grandad used to live at No 41 Broseley Grove. This is going back to 1963/1972 as a rough figure and what families do you remember?
Just a bit of a trip down memory lane for me i guess. :D

Little start for us here.......The Churcher family in Elvino Road.
Davidge family in Broseley Grove.
Castle family in Elvino Road.
Hughs family in Broseley Grove.
Lane family in Broseley Grove.
Chandler family in Broseley Grove right at the top by the garages.
Evans family in Knighton Park Road at the top end.
Appleby family in Knighton Park Road at the top end.
Millward family in Knighton Park Road.
Pugh family in Knighton Park Road.
Newsom/Newson family in Broseley Grove.
Palmer family in Broseley Grove.
Please say that someone remembers some of us! :D
budweiser

Post by budweiser »

Anyone? :(
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

OK then budwesier. I'll go first...

I have two homes in Sydenham. One in Upper and one in Lower. The one in Lower is Mr Pugh's old home. What became of him and his family I am not sure but I bought it nearing on for a decade ago. I've had to do massive amounts of renovation (I hear he was a bit of DIY'er...and clearly not a very good one!) In most rooms the floors have had to come up and walls taken back to brickwork. I think Mr Pugh owes me a bob or two as I've had to right a great many of his wrongs. We're talking complete re-wire, re-plumbing, extensive roof-work, reinstalling fireplaces, replastering every room, new windows etc..you name it, I've had to do it!

Anyway, I think you'll be surprised at how many people are still around on these streets. Truth be told it's a fairly elderly road. As is Broseley, Elvino and Hillmore. At my end alot of the homes are being bought up once the elderly residents pass on, extensively renovated and sold on to young families. A few have become flats.

I am going to ask one of my neighbours for you. She has been in her home a few doors up from me for 60odd years. You may even know her and she, you.

Can you PM me your name? So I can tell her who is asking.
budweiser

Post by budweiser »

Cheers sir for your reply. :D
Mr Pugh was a painter and decorator, and i used to be mates with his son Billy who was a bit of a local tearaway.
Billy`s sister susan committed suicide a number of years ago, apparantly, and i don`t know what happened to the parents. PM sent regarding my name and thanks again sir. :)
Wolfie

Broseley Grove and environs

Post by Wolfie »

I used to live at 53 Broseley Grove, moving away to obtain employment in Somerset in 1977.

I went to school at St Michael's C of E primary school with several local inhabitants: Appleby, Eley, Haswell and Bevan of Knighton Park Road; Rowling of Broseley Grove...

I'm straining my brain to recall any of the names (apart from Appleby) in the OP - Davidge sounds familiar.

I remember the Sellar family who lived in the end house (can't remember which way the numbers went) which was on the south east corner of Elvino Road.

My Great Aunt Agatha (sounds a bit Bertie Wooster, doesn't it) lived opposite the Sellars in the second or third house along from the east end of Elvino on the north side - she was my mother's father's sister, so her maiden name was Chambers but I have no idea if she was ever married.

I had another Great Aunt, Elsie, who loved at 10 Broseley Grove. She was my mother's mother's sister. Her maiden name was Osborne and I think her married name was Smith.

ETA: Now I remember the Chandlers (number 59)! I should as I lived right next to the driveway that accessed the garages. At the time I left Sydenham, the house on the other side of that drive was Jean Wilkinson's.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I had PM'd budweiser my response after speaking to my neighbour Wolfie. budweiser: Feel free to pass it on if you wish.

You'd be surprised how many of the residents are still here Wolfie. For a kick-off Brian Appleby still lives in the same house. You'll no doubt remember where that was. He's not alone. There are so many people on this road who have been here for 60/70 years.
budweiser

Re: Broseley Grove and environs

Post by budweiser »

Wolfie wrote:I used to live at 53 Broseley Grove, moving away to obtain employment in Somerset in 1977.

I went to school at St Michael's C of E primary school with several local inhabitants: Appleby, Eley, Haswell and Bevan of Knighton Park Road; Rowling of Broseley Grove...

I'm straining my brain to recall any of the names (apart from Appleby) in the OP - Davidge sounds familiar.

I remember the Sellar family who lived in the end house (can't remember which way the numbers went) which was on the south east corner of Elvino Road.

My Great Aunt Agatha (sounds a bit Bertie Wooster, doesn't it) lived opposite the Sellars in the second or third house along from the east end of Elvino on the north side - she was my mother's father's sister, so her maiden name was Chambers but I have no idea if she was ever married.

I had another Great Aunt, Elsie, who loved at 10 Broseley Grove. She was my mother's mother's sister. Her maiden name was Osborne and I think her married name was Smith.

ETA: Now I remember the Chandlers (number 59)! I should as I lived right next to the driveway that accessed the garages. At the time I left Sydenham, the house on the other side of that drive was Jean Wilkinson's.
Hi Wolfie, Thanks for a bit more info. :) The Chandlers mother was Spanish if you recall, the son was called Roberto and the sister was called Cristina, can`t remember the fathers name.
I used to play down the garages sometimes and we used to cycle round the cul de sac that you lived in, probably used to annoy the hell out of you, sorry for that. :oops:
On the corner of Broseley grove and Elvino road, opposite the Churchers was a house with a big wall we used to play football up against, was the owners name Mr Walker or something like that?
Cheers sir.
Budweiser.
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Roberto and Cristina's father was Maurice. He was a dead ringer for Donald Pleasance. I remember that he had a very dry wit... Their mother was called Luisa and I remember her calling the kids in for various meals when they were playing outside... "Robertooooooooooooooooo!!!! Crisitna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" She would jabber at them in a mixture of Spanish and English, switching between languages mid sentence.

I recall that the previous occupants of No. 59 were the Gbedemahs. Kofi Gbedemah worked at the Ghanaian embassy
budweiser

Post by budweiser »

Lol. I remember that Wolfie, lovely woman she was though, cristina looked just like her but very quiet and shy.
They always came to my birthday parties along with the other friends i had in the streets and Dad would hire a couple of cine films like the werewolf or the Mummy from the Kodak shop up on Kirkdale near Cobbs.
`Sigh` Happy Times..................... :D