Sydenham Town Hall?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
budweiser

Sydenham Town Hall?

Post by budweiser »

Hi all, Anyone got any pictures of the old Sydenham Town Hall?
I remember playing on the steps when it was all boarded up. I think. :oops: :D
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Hi budweiser,

How are you sir? I haven't forgotten to ask my neighbour about the familes you were talking about. I'll get it done.

In the meantime, what? A Sydders Town Hall? I've never heard anything about that...ever. Can you tell us where it was? I'm guessing the only site big enough would be that blight that now holds the Two Half's?

I did a search on the web but only came up with one in New Zealand.
sean

Post by sean »

I heard there was a cinema next to the Two Halfs at one time.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

sean wrote:I heard there was a cinema next to the Two Halfs at one time.
Now you mention it I heard that too sean. So if it wasn't there I wonder where. I'm working on the basis that the Town Hall would front Sydenham Road and be fairly large. SO, other than that site where the Post Office now is I can't think of another site...

budweiser - if you put something in the Town Museum & Gallery you should come up trumps. The guys on there really know their stuff! Can you tell us where it was?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The cinemas in the area have been covered in the Museum and Gallery before - well worth searching the forum if you're interested.
budweiser

Post by budweiser »

Cheers guys, Where would the two halfs have been?
I seem to remember a building with steps and i`m sure that it was boarded up before demolition, this would have been mid to late sixties.
Ta.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

The Two Half's is unfortunately still there budweiser. It's directly opposite the entrance to Queensthorpe Road. To try and explain, if you go UP Sydenham Road it sits on the left between Tannsfield Road and Newlands Park.

Anyway, is this where the Town Hall stood budweiser?
budweiser

Post by budweiser »

Hi Boss, I`m probably thinking of `Wesley Hall` basically on the junction of Sydenham Road and Kent House Road ish,
. It seems to be in the right place, was it the same in the late sixties as it is now? I seem to remember it being boarded up at some stage.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Aaah. You had me all excited about a lost Sydenham Town Hall budwesier. As it turns out you meant the Wesley Hall Methodist Church which is where you described. It seems to be in fairly good nick and is no longer boarded up. I don't know if it gets used.

Every time I walk past the place I think of the Johnny Cash song...'The One On The Right Is The One On The Left' - you'd have to know the lyrics to get the reference. :)
budweiser

Post by budweiser »

I used to go and help my mate Paul Hughes as he was an alterboy at St Philip Neri just down the road, only did it a couple of times though.
Do you remember that the Solo Education place on the corner of Knighton Park Road used to be a United Dairies shop?
On the opposite corner where the big white building is, used to be the Gulf Garage i think.Maybe 1967/1968. I was at the opening of it and they had a clown and a Monkey riding a bike. :D
On the junction of Kent House Road and Watlington Street, on the right hand corner used to be an off licence, can`t remember what it was called but, one night when i was about 8 years old, i rode my pushbike in the rain and ran straight into the back of a parked car. I slammed into the handlebar upright with my groin!!!!!! :cry: Bugger me that hurt but the owner of the offy came out and picked me up, took me back into the shop and called my parents. Bless that man. Gave me some chocolate as well. :)
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

here you go Im loving streetview at the moment !!!
http://tinyurl.com/ygwzpk8
budweiser

Post by budweiser »

goonerchamp wrote:here you go Im loving streetview at the moment !!!
http://tinyurl.com/ygwzpk8
Cheers for that Goonerchamp, What a perfect picture. Used to play on the steps 40 years ago!!!!! :shock:
I loved living in Sydenham, Got arrested by the Railway police at Sydenham station for putting stuff on the line.! Nothing serious, just old pennies and bits of plant growth. :D