Any DIY Problems??? Can I be of Help???

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
lemonade

Post by lemonade »

Savvy wrote:Hi Lemonade, I feel a bit daft asking this and I think I might know the answer but please put me straight if not. We have a tv platform on the wall (like you see in hotel rooms) and we can't get it off. We got it stripped down as far as the 'arm' but the three screws holding it to the wall will just NOT budge with a hand held screwdriver. My suggestion is that we by a posi-drive drill bit and lock it into the screws on 'reverse'. Is this correct? Will we be able to muy one from the DIY shop in Sydenham? Does one size fit all? Thanks.

Oooh!!! I hope I'm not too late here!!!

Don't use a drill as the screw may "cam out" causing the screw head to round off.
Go back to the manual screwdriver.
HAVE YOU GOT BRICK WALLS??? If so, carefully apply a flame from a blowtorch onto the screwhead. (making sure you select the correct screwdriver, phillips, posidriv, etc) use a wrench onto the scredriver if you have to and carefully undo when the screw head is heated.
The wallplug will melt dlightly allowing the screw to come out easier.
Sometimes these screws are set extra hard with an epoxy resin. The heat will also help break down the latent strength of this material.
lemonade

Post by lemonade »

Savvy wrote:Hi Lemonade, I feel a bit daft asking this and I think I might know the answer but please put me straight if not. We have a tv platform on the wall (like you see in hotel rooms) and we can't get it off. We got it stripped down as far as the 'arm' but the three screws holding it to the wall will just NOT budge with a hand held screwdriver. My suggestion is that we by a posi-drive drill bit and lock it into the screws on 'reverse'. Is this correct? Will we be able to muy one from the DIY shop in Sydenham? Does one size fit all? Thanks.
Hello
An eighth of an inch isn't too much so this may help...
Chock the door open and remove the screws from the frame end of the lower hinge. Carefully loosten the screws from the frame end for the top hinge. With one side of the bottom hinge removed, get a piece of card. (not too thick, about the thickness of a cigarette packet. Double up the card so both cards are sandwiched together and placed within the void where the hinge screws to the frame. Then screw the hinge at the bottom back to the frame, inserting the screws through the card(s) and also tighten the upper hinge screws.
Hopefully the mortice shall now line up.
piano teacher

Post by piano teacher »

hi lemonade

we have a year old fridge which inexplicably stopped working from one day to the next...do you have any advice on how we might go about fixing it? :lol:
icb

Kitchen doors

Post by icb »

Hi lemonade,

first of all - Thanks so much for giving advice to everybody in this forum - it's SO helpful!

I have a massive problem - just has a new kitchen fitted but the builders didn't do a great job.
here goes:
The measurements weren't taken properly so after having installed the bottom units they realised that the washing machine wouldn't fit anymore so they thought of removing the extra panel between the corner unit and the unit (together they form an L shape) next to it to make space. By doing so we are left with two doors too close to each other to open properly.
To solve the problem we have cut the smaller door and bought 153 degrees hinges so that the small door can be opened ok but now, to open the bigger (corner unit door) we have to open the small door next to it first!
can you think of anything we can do so that both doors can be opened individually?
We are off to B&Q to see if they do other types of hinges that would allow extra movement.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks a lot
ICB