JH Skincare, Kirkdale

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Ulysses

JH Skincare, Kirkdale

Post by Ulysses »

Right, so what's this swanky new shop all about? I was shocked and stunned to find this almost Space N.K.-esque shop on Kirkdale as I headed to the Woodman on Sunday. From memory it was a Gatineau stockist...very swanky!

I had no idea it was there. It's very tastefully done. Looks...dare I say it, posh. Hot on the heels of Alhambra and the proposed new flats perhaps some real changes are afoot on the old High St?

The only thing I could find through 'search' was the 5th article here:

http://www.familiesonline.co.uk/article ... /796/1/95/

I'm all for 'soft' openings but I've got a place nearby-ish and as far as I know nothing came through the door? Has anyone tried it yet?

This is the stuff they seemed to be displaying (assuming my memory hasn't let me down here):

http://www.gatineau.com.au/
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

My wife used to go to JH Skincare when it was based in East Dulwich. Janice (I think that's the owners name) has now left ED behind and relocated to Kirkdale - opposite Tesco's on the same side of the main road.

My wife is very excited. It's a proper high quality operation by her accounts. I can't comment myself other than saying that she does a great job of shaping my wife's eyebrows! I also have a vague memory that the St Tropez tan my wife sported at our wedding was the masterly work of Janice.

My impression is that it was pretty successful in East Dulwich so presumably they'll bring a lot of clients with them.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

It certainly looked high quality digime2007. I could be wrong on the brands they stock but it was one of 'those'. As I say I was just peering through the window on Sunday.

Can I appeal to anyone who has been yet to give me their thoughts?

BTW, is it open? What procedures do they do? I often go to The Refinery on Brook Street and used to use Calmia in Marylebone so I'm keen to try this new place out. My partner'll probably opt for the eyebrow stuff...it's more her thing than mine!

The thing is digime2007, I don't doubt that she will bring some of her clients with her.

Surely though she wants to attract new clients from Sydders though? Perhaps even Forest Hill. My place is more over Westwood Hill side but I certainly cannot recollect getting any info through the door.

And this, I supppose, is my bug-bear. We've recently learned that a butcher who stocked the same meats as William Rose shut down. Now, you can say what you like about the location (distance wise) and state of the shop but few knew he was there. Now we have a smart salon opening up and nada. I cannot find a website, there's been no 'hello' from the owners on STF [remember how the Dolphin kept us up to speed, same with Kente and BM]. Are businesses just hoping that we'll stumble* upon their shops and then viral marketing will do it's thing?

*I just remember when I moved here we were walking about and stumbled upon a hand-made kitchen maker on Kirkdale. We were about to renovate the kitchen so got quotes etc. By the time we went back to order a month later he was gone!

I am not saying JH SKincare will not be succesful as they certainly ought to be but they need to advertise themselves better/more...
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

I don't know for sure that they are open yet. As a previous customer my wife got a flyer through the post a while a go saying the property renovation work was going well and they were planning on opening soon. No dates were given though.

I'm sure they'll advertise and release promotional material if the business needs it. They have a track record so I don't think they'll go the way of so many fly by night startups around here.

I'll ask my wife for more detail on what they do.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Thanks for that info digime2007. Makes sense. It looked fairly finished when I saw it but it being a Sunday it was hard to tell if it was trading yet.

As you correctly say, they're a decent business who know what they're doing - so I have high hopes. Looks like they've spent alot of money on the shop-fit, very tasteful from what I could see.

My last post sounded a bit rant-ish. It wasn't meant to be anything of the sort. I am chuffed to bits that a business like this has decided on Sydders. This is exactly the type of place we'd normally be on here moaning that it chose to open in Upper Norwood or Beckenham...it's here now and it's great news.

Frankly if it means I don't have to go to the great but hideously over-priced 'The Refinery' then all is good!

Now just for that organic butchers [Home Park one notwithstanding] and we're getting set!?
marianne

Post by marianne »

I live just around the corner to Kirkdale - walked past this place yesterday but didn't notice a thing! I do hope the owners are going to publicise the opening or at least have leaflets delivered leaflets. I can't wait to try it ... :lol:
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Nor can I marianne.

Before anyone is ignorant to the great many comfortable streets in Upper and Lower Sydders and wonders..."why here?"

They should also be aware that I often see the Editor of 'Glamour' magazine around Sydders. Jo Elvin lives here*

Maybe she'll get some decent column inches for JH Skincare.

* Now I appreciate it is not normal for a 33 yr old male to know who she is, much less recognise her. I am not involved in fashion but trust me, there are a lot of affluent people here in Sydders - you just don't always see them in the tat emporiums. You'll occasionally see them in the 'good' businesses though.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

you do have very good skin, though.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Grand opening on Thursday 5th...according to the flyers through my door this evening :lol:
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Just had a flyer too. The picture of the shop front looks like one of leenewham's "What if's". Very smart.

Looks like they do tanning, back massage, eyebrow shaping, facials, nails, collegan eye pads (I have no idea what that's about), and other beauty treatments.

Open day on Thursday 5th until 9PM. Free fizz and cake and opening day special offers.

I just know this is going to cost me!
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

I'm wetting myself. Do they sell Swarfega ?
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

MartinH wrote:I'm wetting myself. Do they sell Swarfega ?
It's not Swarfega you need for that...try Pampers.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Oh my word !
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Ulysses wrote:
Frankly if it means I don't have to go to the great but hideously over-priced 'The Refinery' then all is good!
I designed The Refinery's branding (and came up with the name). Pierce Brosnan used to get his hair cut there. The people who own it ripped me off big style and I never even got a free haircut. Possibly one of the most tight fisted clients I have ever dealt with. I don't send them a Christmas card!

Good luck to JH Skincare. I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like a reason to visit Kirkdale. Looks like someone has done their homework, male grooming especially has increased dramatically in recent years.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I'm sorry to hear that leenewham. Scant consolation I am sure but you did a fine job.

For what it's worth assuming this JH Skincare caters for males The Refinery may be about to lose some custom from me. A few weeks back I went for one of their express manicures and pedicures. 30 mins or so it took. £100. Or something equally outrageous!

As my Dad would say, they certainly saw me coming!

So, I'm hoping JH Skincare means there's somewhere local at last!
BeckenhamTown.us

in need of advertising the new opening

Post by BeckenhamTown.us »

Perhaps they should turn to http://www.spaceandtime.eu.com who has a history of doing localised advertising campaigns for many clients, they'd do an excellent job. It's so good to see great businesses settle in Sydenham and will no doubt draw business from far and wide on rcommendations like those posted on here.
dickp

Post by dickp »

This thread is turning a wee bit metrosexual!

*drinks beer*
*smokes tabs*
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

dickp wrote:This thread is turning a wee bit metrosexual!

*drinks beer*
*smokes tabs*
A wee bit? I'd say a blooming great bit and I'm the chief protagonist!

I'm off to play football tonight, hopefully that'll get some testosterone flowing through the veins...

*unfurls a copy of The Daily Sport, pulls the snout out from behind his ear and downs a pint of Stella*
100georgieb

Re: JH Skincare, Kirkdale

Post by 100georgieb »

Well I'm sorry to say, I've just been into JH Skincare for the first time, after booking an eyebrow shape...and had to walk out before my treatment had even started! The manager, Jenna?, was incredibly rude and patronising...looked down her nose at me and talked to me like I was totally thick...I've never felt so uncomfortable in a salon before. I just didn't feel like I wanted to stay. The girl who was going to do my treatment seemed really friendly, but in my opinion, she was the only nice and welcoming part of this whole horrible situation. Never again.
JulietP

Re: JH Skincare, Kirkdale

Post by JulietP »

You know, I'm always vaguely suspicious of people who register and use their first post to denigrate a business... :?