Gordon Ramsay at the Dulwich Wood House

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am glad to hear that The Youngs Management are reading.
I have a soft spot the pub which I have known since the late 60's. I want it to succeed.
I hope especially they read my comments about inappropriate music being played ( infact music for the benefit of the staff not the paying customer)
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Actually you are right Ulysses.

They have tried separating out the eaters from the drinkers and it doesn't seem to have worked so they should try to integrate it all back into one. It used to be nice to sit in the bit near the windows after a walk round the woods.

What i like about eating in pubs is the informal nature of it, and instead with the DWH they have gone way over the top in trying to make it a restaurant with a bar attached.

I agree with Eagle its always been a nice pub in a lovely location and by rights it should be packed out every weekend.
mrs woman

Post by mrs woman »

I havent been to the dulwich wood house for years. My last experience ( a very long time ago and I have not forgotten) of food was a plate of overcooked slop on a plate.

Its a shame that its been sectioned off as I too liked sitting by the windows after a sunday walk in the woods. In fact I have given up going for sunday lunch to any pub after a few (not many) overpriced,overrated and underachieved pseudo gourmet food.

I dont go to the dolphin because its quite cold and unfriendly, I go to Magdas and Franklins in East Dulwich and get the 176 back. I like the railway tavern in penge. However I am not pushed in going to pubs unless I am meeting up with friends.

The pubs nowadays have to work harder to get the custom as there is so much home entertainment, however a well managed pub with friendly staff can be a bonus for the area. I think the DWT would do well with say serving a bowl of soup and bread for the walkers as then people might be encouraged to come in and buy some drink too after tramping around in the woods. :lol:
jmc

Post by jmc »

mrs woman wrote:I think the DWT would do well with say serving a bowl of soup and bread for the walkers as then people might be encouraged to come in and buy some drink too after tramping around in the woods.
I agree, rather than just copying other layouts they should have looked at the area and possible clientèle.
Loads of people use the woods, and they should be targeting the walkers. "A pint of beer and a bowl of soup". Maybe even work with the wood so they get some free advertising on noticeboards.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

The only complaint I have about the place is while my wife, sons and I were there to meet friends with similar age children, we almost froze to death in the "family area". Have not been back since. The place seemed inauthentic, somehow. If that's possible.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I ate at the DWH on monday night. I'm pleased to see they have moved some sofas into the 'dining' area and changed the seating around to make it slightly less formal, so it looks to me as though you probably no longer have to eat to be in that part of the pub, though I didn't check what the actual policy is.

The food was pretty good, the main course the portion was far too small, but the quality was okay.

I had whitebait for a starter which was £5, and you got loads, it was nicely presented on a board, with lots of salad leaves and dressing on the side. If was being really picky I'd say the whitebait were perhaps a bit heavily battered, but otherwise great.

For the main course I had king prawns with lime and chilli on linguini (sorry don't know how to spell it), and it was really nice, the prawns tasted nice and fresh the only complaint being the portion was tiny. I don't really understand this because there were plenty of prawns, which is the most expensive bit, all it needed was some more pasta which wouldn't have cost the pub much at all. Do they think everyone is on the Aktkins diet or what?

One of my companions had trout (okay), which came with plain rice (in a mound which is a bit naff) and slices of sweet potato, all okay apparently.

The service was good, very friendly and helpful. There weren't many drinkers in – just a small gang in the lower part of the pub. There were a few other people eating, not many but some – though I suppose mondays are normally fairly quiet everywhere. The music was on very low and unobtrusive, I didn't actually notice what it was, so that's good I think!

The wine was good, but the prices VERY expensive if you're buying by the glass.

On the whole I think it looks hopeful, and good to see the changes to the seating in particular. I will go back again but I really think the biggest issue for me is that portion sizes of the main courses need to be more generous.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Thank you for such a detailed review.

I guess, the bottom line for me Julwz, is whether or not you now feel confident of recommending the Dulwich Wood House again?

Now, without hesitation, I shall take visitors to The Dolphin/Blue Mountain/Kente's or cook for them from Wellbeing/Waitrose...

DWH used to belong to this select group until the failed refurb reared it's ugly head.

It's got a great deal in it's favour (position/building et al) but is it worth going there again, in your opinion?

I'd love to put it back on the list of acceptable places in the locale to frequent.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Hi Ulysses

Yes, its definitely worth going to the DWH.

I must admit I only went there on monday because its the only place within walking distance (otherwise I would have gone to the Dolphin), and I was prepared for the worst but was pleasantly surprised.

We had a nice evening there and I had no compaints, only one suggestion and that was for slightly bigger main dishes (and not massively so, just slightly bigger!).

I think it shows that they have tried to improve in line with people's comments. I don't know anywhere to eat locally that's always perfect, but if the DWH can manage to be consistently good I think it will be an asset to the area.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am glad they are taking note of peoples comments, if indeed they are , but would it take much time for the manager to come onto this site.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

We went to DWH today for lunch.
I actually liked the old pub, but was a bit worried about the place given all of the comments, but I really liked the layout and it was more relaxed than I expected. We were in the private dining room, which was a bit hot with the real fire in there, but the food we had was lovely (we had veg pie and mash). It is expensive, but the prices no more than the Dolphin or Bridge House, which we would have gone to as an alternative. Our friends had the crumble for dessert and werent too enamoured, but we liked our food.
Service was really friendly and goodnatured, perhaps a little slow as it was busy, but we werent in a rush. We did get chicken pies instead of the vegetarian (but this was a problem with the supplier - we didnt eat any chicken thankfully and the waitress was very apologetic and we did get the correct order very promptly afterwards.) Our friend had fishcakes which she wasnt overly impressed by but I never order fishcakes as I rarely get fishcakes that dont disappoint
So, yes not the cheapest, but a really nice location; nicely decorated and laid out, friendly service, nice food. Not without some shortcomings, but I would definitely go again.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

MiniFox wrote: a problem with the supplier .
So they're shipping their pies in ready-made? I know this isn't exactly uncommon practice for pub-grub, but as you say, prices are similar to the Dolphin where they actually appear to have people in the kitchen who can cook food from scratch.

I wouldn't mind if it was just more honest about serving straightforward pub-grub, rather than putting on fancy airs with the posh refit and 'private dining room'.

Maybe I'm just a food snob but as I don't eat ready meals at home I'll be damned if I'm going to go out and pay good money to eat them in a tarted-up pub.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Well, that was the explanation we got but maybe I misunderstood
Might I say, they were very good pies!!!!!!!!!! And Ramsay's pubs dont make everything on the premises either do they, so I can forgive that (although I've never been to a Ramsay pub)
SydenhamHillAndy

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

Two large gin and tonics and two packets of crisps. Guess how much..... Go on, guess.......
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Depending on what gin it is I'd say between £12-£15 quid? I'm not sure what gin they stock but if it's Beefeater then £12, anything else about the £15 mark...
dickp

Post by dickp »

I still ain't shifting from Westow House, in terms of Sunday lunch. OK, it's silent at 12 but then very busy when the football comes on, but the food is great.

And The Crown and Greyhound in Dulwich village does excellent grazing lunches. The portions are huge, and the food is excellent quality.
SydenhamHillAndy

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

The answer to the question, how much for two large gin and tonics plus two crisps is..... wait for it.......

£17.50!!!!!!!!!

And that is why I will not be returning even though it is on my doorstep.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Ouch!

I once had to pay just short of a tenner for a small single malt in a hotel bar. It was so difficult maintaining a fake smile as I handed over the cash when all I wanted to do was run away.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

£17.50 eh? The only thing steeper than the DWH's prices in that area is the walk from Sydders Hill station! Or the 3bed apartment that went for almost £900,000 in that lovely building directly opposite the DWH.

Those prices are eye-watering. It puts me in mind of the time I bought a Baileys & Amaretto [don't ask] in Cafe De Paris just off Leicester Square [again, don't ask]...

One drink = £33

Westow House eh dickp? I've really fond memories of the place but I must admit I've always found it's food a real let-down. I've tried everywhere within a few miles radius and nothing touches The Dolphin. Mind, I can see why some don't like the fact of lots of little Boden-clad Henrys and Henriettas running around in The Dolphin. It doesn't bother me in the slightest though.

As you say The Dog in Dulwich is lovely. Their standards don't seem as high of late but TBH I'm quite happy to go there just for the building itself.
jamlau

Post by jamlau »

Hello, first post on here.
Went in the DWH yesterday and it was the first time I've paid over £4 for a pint of lager!
The place was really busy though so a lot of people out there obviously don't mind the prices.
Although I made my pint last, in the relatively short time I was there I overheard people complaining about the main bar being too cold and waiting too long for their food.
I won't be rushing back.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Sorry to drag this thread back up again, but I didn't want to pass judgement until I'd actually been in person, and what a disappointment it was!

This place is my local and, for as long as I can remember, it was a very popular pub; you would have trouble getting a seat after 8pm most nights of the week, on Fridays the place would packed to the gunwales from 7.30 onwards.

Contrast this with tonight, when I shouldn't think it was running beyond 30% capacity at any point (and I'm probably being generous).

As for the food, it was very average, so very overpriced

Our table of six ordered four rib eye steaks, a beer battered fish and a duck confit; three of the steaks were to be cooked medium, I ordered mine medium/rare, with a red wine sauce.

Firstly, the waiter had to come back and tell me there was no red wine sauce (hello!, this is a pub, that serves wine.........isn't the 'chef' able to open a bottle and reduce it a bit?!) then, when the steaks arrived, there was nothing obviously rare about mine, and a couple of the mediums were veering towards well done.

Then they got the fish order wrong, leaving us in the awkward spot of working out whether or not to tuck in, leaving our colleague to watch us eat, or wait for his course to be served, while ours got cold (he did get an unexpected piece of wood with some bread on though, to keep him occupied).

The general consensus was, the food was OK, but nothing special, particularly not at £17+ per steak (we initially asked about the specials, one of which was a fillet steak at over £25....WTF!).

Don't get me wrong, I'm no tightarse when it comes to good food, but I could've gone to the Harvester on Lordship Lane and got this standard for a tenner.

I think they've completely overestimated their market (the fact they're resorting to two-for-one deals, quiz nights, etc. says a lot) and, at the very least, they need to drastically drop their prices.

What they really need to do is go back to being a proper family boozer, a meeting point for the locals; they've got a lovely garden, plenty of space to accommodate a really decent sized smoking area (before people get on my back, the smoking ban has seriously effected the pub trade) and they can still have a market for eaters, serving sensibly priced, upmarket pub grub.

The day they decided to make it a restaurent with a pub attached, was the day they went badly wrong; I won't be rushing back, not even for a quiet pint in the garden, certainly not at 4 quid a go...........