Gordon Ramsay at the Dulwich Wood House

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Absolutely spot-on ^^
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

over £4 for a pint?!?!?!?!? The urine appears to be being extracted...
SydenhamHillAndy

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

How much for a cheeseburger and chips? Go on? Have a guess.

£12, that's how much. The chips were awful and very few of them. The cheeseburger had been very delicately kissed by cheese. So little that I wondered whether it had been shown the cheese down a phone line.....

Why oh why oh why do I do this to myself? This place just makes me feel used and dirty.
BnV

Post by BnV »

ha haaa!
i also popped in to DWH for a pee & a pint after a stomp in the woods, this past winter.
thought i might fancy a sunday roast also as the smells were so mouthwatering but seeing the price @ £14.95 (or was it 15.95..??) i promptly snorted my ale out of my nose & decided to pick up some beef enroute home & cook it up myself. delicious ..& i got sarnies out of it for a couple of days too!
what a rip - sorry, there may be some beautiful freestanding Georgian mini-mansions next door but frankly scarlet, i think they're overestimating their own appeal. :shock:
i'm not a tightwad either, but i really don't believe in forking out decent £££ for something that i know should come with a more friendly price-tag. i also abhor raucous chav types & there seemed to be a couple of those at the bar - uggh.
their garden is lovely though.
stone28

Post by stone28 »

I agree with all above 100%!!!!!

I had pork belly long time ago there and I wasn't happy with it at all. However I decided to go there again this past Friday as it’s on our way home from the station. And just to reiterate what was already said!

1. £4 for a pint! What is that? Central London!? It doesn’t even cost that much there. It doesn’t even cost that much in a fancy nightclub in central London!

2. Food!!!!! Please!!!! What’s going on there!!! Do they know anything about spices? Basic things like salt and pepper where missing. My pasta was tasteless!! My wife’s Cheesburger was a joke. It was more bun with some meat inside! Not even tomato inside, onion anything! Just piece on meat and that’s it! I love burgers and I eat them almost in every place I go to but I have never seen such a bad presentation.... There was nothing there! OK but it costs only £4! What a minute!!!! No it costs £12!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

We only went there again hoping that maybe things got better since last time we where there. It is such a great location and they have such a nice outside space. But no! That was too much.... To pay that much for such an awful food! We are not going back there for a long time. Until I will read somewhere that things have changed. I am really really disappointed!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

What type of beer was on sale for £4? I was in there the other week and I must have paid about £3, but that was for bitter. I'd say it's a nice place to sit outside with a pint, and I have found the service to be reasonably good, but agree that the food is over-priced for what's on offer.
Juwlz

Re: Gordon Ramsay at the Dulwich Wood House

Post by Juwlz »

We went to the DWH on monday night and all three of us had burger & chips.

On monday night you can get two burgers n chips for £12 or £7.95 for one. We ate in the garden and really enjoyed the meal, the burger was really very tasty indeed – true there was no tomato on it but it did come with a decent bit of salad on the side. The bun was lovely - nice and toasted. It really was decent quality food and good service I'm pleased to say.

Good prices tonight, BUT I think the normal DWH price of £12 for a burger is too much no matter how tasty it is. I am happy to pay for good quality food but £12 is too much for a burger unless its made of an endangered species. For comparison, it's £8 for a burger and chips of great quality every night of the week at the Crown and Greyhound in Dulwich village.

Otherwise, on the upside, the garden looked lovely and it was a very pleasant place to spend the evening. The pub, restaurant and garden were all fairly busy I'm pleased to say.