venues

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
squig

venues

Post by squig »

Hello, any recommendations for lovely halls/venues for a show in the Sydenham area?

I really enjoyed being part of the Arts Festival last year and I'm putting on a show in September, (it's all hush hush at the moment I'll spill the beans soon.)

Audience capacity about 100-150.

Thank you for your suggestions!

all the best,
Alex
Giddysquid

Post by Giddysquid »

You could try the Livesy hall down the Bell Green end of Sydenham. I played a ukulele gig there a year ago. It's got a good stage and room for about 200 audience members.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Now this is intriguing.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Isn't there an old disused dance hall in the buildings that la fitness are in?
panmum

Post by panmum »

I just phoned LA fitness re the disused part of the building, but they aren't aware of it. I am interested because we need rehearsal space and we have looked all over. As far as I know if you have a look on the council website they will have a list of venues to hire. Good luck . Panmum
sophie

Post by sophie »

I think it's a nightclub. Formerly Twilights and perhaps open now as something else
multisync

Post by multisync »

Is it open or has it been closed down yet again
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I think it's shut down again, of a fashion, as I'm not sure it was ever really open...

I can't remember if it was called Twilights and/or Chequers but I'm not sure I ever saw it open when I walked past nor ever saw anyone go in.

That written I spoke to someone who works above it recently who mentioned it was looking to re-open. As what 'type' of club and with what music offering I'm not sure. I hear the inside of it's occasionally used as a location shoot also.
The New Girl

Post by The New Girl »

do u mean the club to the left of the gym (and a bit back from the front)? Its still open, really busy on Sundays. I live accross the road and I swear they are lucky I dont go out and batter their clientelle with a pair of shoes! They are so fricken loud and rude with no thought to those of us who live near by (before anyone says anything, I didnt know there was a club there when I moved in as I was totally new to the area)
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

That's the one The New Girl.

To be honest I'm flabbergasted. Let me be clear, I'm not suggesting you are lying but I've walked past there at all times of the day and night and I've seen it open no more than twice in roughly ten years.

It's clear you're not a fan of the place but can you tell me what sort of clientele and music is on offer? Not that I am interested in going but I wonder if it's any different from what was on offer previously...the last place shut down about 5 years ago (if memory serves).

IF it's any solace - if this new place conforms to type - it will likely pull the shutters down permanently within a month or two.