what's the best way to get rid of mice?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
lizzie

what's the best way to get rid of mice?

Post by lizzie »

Hello all,
I have recently started seeing and hearing mice in my ground floor flat. Has anyone ever used those plug-in sonic mouse repeller devices, and do they work?
The little critters are keeping me up at night.
Thanks!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Sonic plug in dooberies don't work.

Best way is make sure no food is left out. Then put down poison.

You will get mice in any house between floors. There isn't a great deal you can do about it. TO stop them getting In your house do the above (and plug any gaps with wire wool such as around gaps in floorboards near radiator pipes etc. They can't chew through the stuff.
Last edited by leenewham on 18 Jan 2010 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

I have/had one of those plug in jobs and it worked a treat! :D
DaveT

Plug-in deterrents

Post by DaveT »

Hiya,

We too have used the plug-in deterrent. Initially it didn't work - so we called out the expert. To quote him (as best I can remember)

"Those plug-in ultrasonic deterrents are mis-sold. They will dissuade new mice from moving in, but if the mice you have, have offspring, then the parents will not leave."

So, we blocked all the holes with coarse wire wool (pan scrubbing pads, but not as fine as brillo pads), filled them out with expanding foam, put poison down for a month or so as well as the plug-in deterrents - this was about 4 years ago.

No sign / sound of mice since.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Agreed...Plug gaps etc...We also got a cat. Lazy so-and-so...But he did put off the mice...He even caught a couple!!
No sign of mice since. [Touch wood]
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I'm hiring out my cat. Decided he's got to pull his weight in these hard times. £25 per hour. Quite fat and lazy but does still catch mice.
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

Hi Lizzie,

I had this problem last year.

I got pest control to come around and they put poison down, horrible smell after though and the mice came back (I live near a building site/derelict building). I tried the sonic plug in thing but that didn't deter them although I don't think as many came back as initially arrived.

I got a cat in the end, was not really a cat person to be honest but that's all changed now. She's got me well trained and no mice!

Celia Hammond and the RSPCA may have the answer to your problems.
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

Thanks for the advice everyone - very useful indeed.

Having done a bit of research, the best plug-in devices are the ones that are both ultrasonic AND electromagnetic. Ultrasonic by itself is next to useless as the ultrasound doesn't travel through furniture, cupboard doors, floors, walls etc. but electromagnetic waves pulsate via the wiring system so get everywhere. Ha! Also, yes, they will not leave if they have babies which is why sometimes the plug-ins appear not to work at first. They should move on after the babies are mature enough (about a month, apparently) though.

I discovered the mice were eating the birdfood I kept stored by the back door. They must have thought they were onto a good thing. Since I packed it all up in tupperware boxes the mice have been much more in evidence as they've been running around looking for an alternative source of food. But apparently the peanut butter in my humane traps isn't good enough for them :x

I am seriously considering the cat option.

thanks again.