Family Tree

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
dwillis1963

Family Tree

Post by dwillis1963 »

Hi, does any one have any information on the following families that lived in Sydenham all of their lives. The Scudder family and the Lurcuck family all from the Wells Park rd end of Sydenham. I understand the Scudders were one of the original families to have settled in Sydenham many years ago.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Hi, I believe we communicated on this some years ago.

The Lurcucks are fairly easy and I’m sure you know far more about the family than I do. William (probably born in Rodmersham, Kent in about 1865) was living at 59 Coombe Road in 1894. By 1898 he had moved to 39 Mount Ash Road where he appears in the 1901 Census and by 1911 he was living at 28 Bradford Road. He lived at 33 Wells Park Road during the 1920s and 1930s and died in 1946 aged 82. His wife, Emma, died in 1931. One of their sons was called Harold and he had a son called Derek.

The Scudders are rather more difficult, as there were so many of them in Sydenham. The earliest recorded was John Scudder whose young daughter died in 1693. John was a licensed victualler in the cottage in Lower Sydenham later occupied by Sir George Grove. I have brief notes on over 100 Scudders between 1693 and the 1930s, but have never found either the time or motivation to sort them into family groups. In fact, I'm not even sure that the earliest Scudders were directly related to the later ones.

Please let me know about anything I’ve got wrong or any additional information on the Lurcucks and particularly the Scudders as that might prompt me to make some sense of my notes. If you prefer you can PM me (although I’m not very good at picking those up) or email/phone me (via Flo?).
dwillis1963

Post by dwillis1963 »

Hi Steve, yes your right Im Julies sister and we did communicate a while ago. Your info on the Lurcucks is almost correct except that Leslie gardiner Lurcuck was Dereks dad, not Harold. Derek was my dad. You have given me some info about William living in Coombe rd that I didnt have before, so thank you for that. My dad and his parents ended up living at 63 Coombe Rd from about the late 1930s until the place was pulled down.
As for the Scudders there seem to be so many of them. Altough Im getting there trying to unravel all of them!
Thanks for your help.