Our local theatre - review

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!

Do you like hearing about what is happening locally

Yes, it makes me feel a member of the community
100%
No, you're boring me
No votes

Total votes: 1

back_ache

Our local theatre - review

Post by back_ache »

I wondered where our closest amateur theatre was, so I set out in investigate.

My criteria was:-

Not too far from beloved Sydenham
Lots of stuff happening
High production standards

Well, I think I found it, it's three kilometers North from Sydenham in West Norwood and is called "The South London Theatre" and I set out to meet them.

Its a converted fire station next to West Norwood train station, it's has two theatres a traditional "we all sit in rows looking through an arch at the stage" proscenium and a "set up in lots of different ways" studio it also has a members bar, over four hundred members and over twenty-two shows a year and from those I've met they are a friendly bunch.

So all in all, if you want to see some theatre locally or even thread the boards yourself it could be the place for you.

As an added bonus they an active social scene based around their own bar which as well as being open every evening has events such a comedy night one Sunday a month.

http://www.SouthLondonTheatre.co.uk
Last edited by back_ache on 12 Feb 2006 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
GemStone

WHAT IS HAPPENING LOCALLY

Post by GemStone »

YES YOU HAVE MY VOTE.
IT IS ALWAYS GOOD TO KNOW OF LOCAL EVENTS ETC. LUCKILY FOR US, SYDENHAM HAS THIS FANTASTIC WEBSITE FORUM.
I AM NEW TO IT BUT NOW I HAVE FOUND IT I AM SURE IT WILL GET A REGULAR BROWSING BY ME.
PITY THE THEATRE IS IN NORWOOD. IT IS QUITE A LONG WAY BY FOOT :lol:
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

True, but there is always cycling!

Seriously though, public transport is an option you just need to get a bus up to crystal palace then another down to norword, if you are lucky with connections you could do it in half an hour or so.

the website http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk will show you the way!
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

West Norwood is also on the line to Victoria - two trains an hour, takes about 15 minutes!