famous people in Sydenham (or nearby?)

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
sarahc

famous people in Sydenham (or nearby?)

Post by sarahc »

I was just checking out the SE23 Forum and read what seemed like 100 pages of locals discussing the famous people in their area (mostly Forest Hill, Honour Oak and Dulwich). Who do we have or have had living in Sydenham? According to the SE23 Forum, Sydenham has had Duncan Goodhew, Rolf Harris and Status Quo? Does anyone know of anymore? I am such a nerd and find it really interesting!! (also, my in-laws are from a little place in Scotland and I would love to make their jaws drop about celebs around here!! Sad I know!) :D
Last edited by sarahc on 15 Feb 2006 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

I believe Charlie Drake is/was from around these parts.
Maureen

famous people in and around Sydenham

Post by Maureen »

Bill Wyman was born in Penge, I had seen him a few times around 1968. I think Manfred Mann was also local to Sydenham/Penge as he used to wait outside Alexander School for Karl King who was a singer with a band called Karl King and the Vendettas, this would have been around 1964.

And David Bowie of course, Beckenham I think he lived.
stuart

Re: famous people in and around Sydenham

Post by stuart »

Maureen wrote:Bill Wyman was born in Penge
This is a common misconception! Bill was born in Lewisham Hospital 24/10/36 and his first home was in Miall Road Bell Green. His Dad's family also lived in Miall Road and his Dad went to Haseltine School. I think Sydenham can claim him as its own - though he is now living in exile in Suffolk.

He did live in Penge during his formative years with before moving on to Beckenham & Keston as the Stones began to be successful. Bill's autobiography "Stone Alone" paints an interesting picture of Sydenham & Penge during the 40/50/60s. Out of print but can often be picked up secondhand at a bargain price on Amazon.

Stuart
Last edited by stuart on 20 Feb 2006 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

According to my mum, Francis Rossi went to Sedgehill School. He was in the same year as her I think. In saying that, not sure if he was a Catford boy or Sydenham boy??!! Anyone know? :roll:
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Charlie Drake lives next to Crystal Palace Parade, near the site of the old Upper Level Station. Rolf Harris moved away from the area some time ago (I believe).

Kelly Brooke lies at the end of our road, so we see her and Billy Zane quite a bit (if that's your sort of thing)

Personally, I prefer to think of Sydenham as a celeb free zone, or that we have the celebs of the future.
The Eagle

Re: famous people in and around Sydenham

Post by The Eagle »

stuart wrote:
Maureen wrote:Bill Wyman was born in Penge
This is a common misconception! Bill was born in Lewisham Hospital 24/10/36 and his first home was in Miall Road Bell Green. His Dad's family also lived in Miall Road and his Dad went to Haseltine School. I think Sydenham can claim him as its own - though he is now living in exile in Suffolk.

He did live in Penge during his formative years with before moving on to Beckenham & Keston as the Stones began to be successful. Bill's autobiography "Stone Alone" paints an interesting picture of Sydenham & Penge during the 40/50/60s. Out of print but can often be picked up secondhand at a bargain price on Amazon.

Stuart
In the early sixties Bill Wyman and his wife then (Diane, I think her maiden name was Cory) lived with her father at 251 Kirkdale.
sarahc

Famous people in Sydenham (or nearby?)

Post by sarahc »

Another one to the not very long list .......... does anyone remember the district nurse that used to be in Heartbeat when it first started? (I think she also plays a mad woman in that dodgy 'soap' Family Affairs). Well, she lives in the Thorpes somewhere and shops in Boots (according to a very good source). Can't remember her name....could be polish?

I really need to get out more!!

Sarah :wink:
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

According to Wikipedia, Francis Rossi was born in Forest Hill - but he attended Sedgehill School, so perhaps that makes him an honorary Sydenham-ite. What with Bill Wyman (and David Bowie in Beckenham) this area was obviously a good breeding ground for the Grand Old Men of Rock...
stuart

Post by stuart »

Big Ben wrote:This area was obviously a good breeding ground for the Grand Old Men of Rock...
'Grand Old Men of Rock' Musicians?

Would that include Felix "Fingals Cave" Mendelssohn? Didn't he compose and perform some memorable stuff around here?

Stuart
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Now you're talking! Didn't Arthur Sullivan (of Gilbert and Sullivan) live above the premises formerly known as Mr Moon's Restaurant (now the Up to Scratch beauty salon?)
stuart

Post by stuart »

Big Ben wrote:Now you're talking! Didn't Arthur Sullivan (of Gilbert and Sullivan) live above the premises formerly known as Mr Moon's Restaurant (now the Up to Scratch beauty salon?)
Hmmm ... can't think of a Rock connection - but no doubt Sydenham was the inspiration for Gilbert & Sullivan's 'Utopia Ltd'. (Having a rather idealistic view of England and the English people, King Paramount of the south sea island of Utopia decides that his people should adopt all English customs and fashions, and that the kingdom should become a "company limited.")

Stuart
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Footballer extraordinaire Ian Wright's sister owns a flat in our house, so we used to see him here quite often, so does that count?

Not forgetting of course John Logie Baird who lived more or less next door to the Dulwich Woodhouse, and Joseph Paxton who lived at the top of Westwood Hill.
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

Another famous face is up and coming snooker star Barry Hawkins