Where is all the live music?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
sydenhamjazzman

Where is all the live music?

Post by sydenhamjazzman »

Ok, so we have The Golden Lion which offers live jazz and blues once a month. But why is there not any more live music in Sydenham? The dolphin is a nice pub and has sufficiant space for live music...so why don't they have any?

Anyone who has been to the station will have seen how many musicians live in sydenham, so why not take advantage of this and make Sydenham an unofficial musical capital for south east London?

With the impending opening of the Greyhound, The Dolphin and The Golden Lion that makes three decent venues. Perhaps some open mic sessions or jam nights?
Raven Drone

Post by Raven Drone »

Sydenhamjazzman,

You are so correct- I've always thought that Sydenham has a high number of musicians living here and I would love to see Sydenham become a 'musical area'

Maybe you should ask other musicians to contact you to see if they would be interested in an open mic session then take your plans along to the new Greyhound or Dolphin and Golden Lion? I would definitely come along.
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

I second that. Think the blue's night at the Golden Lion is really good but would defintely check out live music else where in Sydenham.
Savvygirl

Post by Savvygirl »

Not quite Sydenham, but there is live music at the Hob in Forest Hill most Fridays and I believe at the Foresters Arms on a Sunday. More music please - doesn't it soothe the savage breast, or should that be beast!! :lol:
simon

Post by simon »

Im putting on a folk/country gig at the Livesey Hall in summer and I must say it appears to be an excellent venue. The owners are keen to make it available so I would hope any local promoters would also look at putting on bands there.
Giddysquid

Post by Giddysquid »

I'm in the Brockley Ukulele Group (BUG) that play the Amersham Arms in New Cross every second Sunday. We have in the past played at the Livesy Hall and I can reccomend it as a great venue with good stage. I'd be up for playing there again, or indeed the Dolphin. :D
squig

Music in Sydenham

Post by squig »

Hi, dear, lovely, fabulous audience...

Yes we're here, and very willing! It's just coordination with venues, spaces, audience members and making sure the whole thing is viable, I suppose. What sort of thing are you looking for? There is loads going on in SE London but we do need more events we can walk to...

I think the Sydenham Arts Festival has really got things going, but we really need a functioning all year round diary for Sydenham don't we.

Can anyone think of a way of doing this as currently there isn't a way I can think of to find out what's going on apart from notices in our lovely cafes and word of mouth...

Meanwhile please put this in your diary, we'd love to see you there!

French Cabaret evening with Tiramisu'- Serge Pachnine on accordion, and me singing, as part of the Sydenham Arts Festival at The Dolphin on Friday 16th July from 7:30pm for 8pm tickets £5 from Kirkdale Bookshop or online, (don't forget their boules event on 18th July too)

"Blitz", with Tiramisu'- film, music and narrative commemorating the 70th anniversary of the Blitz, at Livesey Hall on 7th September, £8, or at St John's Church, Penge, 7:30 for 8 pm- those tickets are also available from Kirkdale bookshop or online, which is being supported by both SAF and Sydenham Community Radio and Interfusion Films.

I'm doing an All Italian gig at Con Amore Italian restaurant in Bromley, free but you're expected to have some food there- 70 places- and I know our own lovely Trattoria Raffaele are hoping to put something on early autumn, but of course it's getting enough audience members in for them to make it worthwhile... :)

I'm also booked at The Grape and Grain in Crystal Palace for with Vintage Jazz Duo, piano/vocal- Christian Vaughan on piano- goes nicely with a lazy Sunday afternoon!- more dates soon.

remember, your musicians & singers need you...

:) Alex
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Hi Alex:

You're right that the Sydenham Arts Festival has helped moved things along here - and it would be great if the 'public domain' part of the info they have on venues could be put to more general use.

In the meantime, there's some live music coming up here

The jazz duo are some contacts of a friend of mine from when he was at Guidlhall School of Music. The Balalaika Band is the same group who performed at The Dolphin last year as part of the Festival
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

The Bricklayers Arms on Dartmouth Road did free Sunday jazz around 5 years ago. Unfortunately, the Landlord moved on, and so did the Jazz.
The place was absolutely packed for the entire day, so there is definitely a market out there.
dthomas

Re: Where is all the live music?

Post by dthomas »

This is an old thread i bumped into and thought i would share some music happenings in Syd, Music NIghts in Sydenham has been going now since Oct 2014 at On the Hoof Bistro on the Syd high street and has been meet with packed houses and great reviews. We are hosting 2 summer editions coming up back to back, Sat 27 June and Sat 4 July, more info here

https://www.facebook.com/events/952996148077911/

https://www.facebook.com/events/857328801019112/

hope to see you there

Devaki & Thomas