THE ALFRED

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
leenewham

THE ALFRED

Post by leenewham »

Now the scaffolding has come down I have to congratulate the people who run the Alfred on making it look sooooooooo much better. Nice signage, simply painted. A huge improvement. I may even venture inside.

If only more businesses would do the same to make Sydenham look and feel better.

(edited for typo...I can't type for toffee!).

Edited because rather stupidly I called it the Albert!
Last edited by leenewham on 19 May 2010 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Funny, Daddycat said that the other day, too.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

That I can't type for toffee? Oh, yeah? Cheers, thanks a bunch...

:shock:

:wink:
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

The Albert?

Google Maps says no... so where is it?

I can see the Alfred. And the Royal Albert in CP.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Oops...I can't read for toffee either.

Yes, you are right, it's The Alfred. For some reason I keep calling it the Albert. Don't ask me why!
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

Ah! Confusion over :-)
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

Leenewham - it might help you to remember the Prince Alfred by association - I always remember it's the Alfred (rather than the Albert)after the cricket player Freddie Flintoff or Fred Flintstone or the very nasty Fred the Dread (I could go on and on)......there you go, does that help? :wink:
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm going with 'Not Herb...'
lbere

Post by lbere »

You lot really do make me laugh!!!!

First they have changed the name from 'The Prince Alfred' to 'The Alfred', Normally you lot would be in uproar. I think when the same happened with 'The Honor Oak' you lot did not like it.

Now just because the 'front looks good' you think that the people who use it, will change.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

What do you mean 'you lot'?!! :-).

I don't care about the name. Natwest changed from National Westminster bank because everyone called it Natwest.

I object to Marathon changing to Snickers because it was an international marketing decision and I believe in local identity and NOT global identity.

I think the change from the Prince Alfred to The Alfred is a sensible change as everyone I know called it The Alfred (or, in my case, The Albert!).

I do a fair amount of naming for branding projects and names are often overvalued. How something looks is more important than what it's called. People recognize and make judgements on what they see before they read.
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

Now just because the 'front looks good' you think that the people who use it, will change.
I don't think anyone's saying that just because it looks different the clientele will change. It might mean, however, that because it looks like a more inviting place more people will use it. I fail to see why that should be a cause for derision. Isn't that why they refurbished it in the first place? To attract more custom? I, for one, am thrilled to see something abit more attractive popping up at that end of town. Nothing wrong with things looking nice.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I would never have gone in before, because it looked grotty and horrible on the outside, and therefore I assumed it would be full of 'Shameless' types by about 11.05am.

now that the outside has been done up, and it at least looks like a place I could take my parents for Sunday roast, I might venture in, to see what the inside looks like, and give it more chance to win me over - I'm still looking for 'a local', as at the moment, The Dolphin is a bit pricey to be my local even though it's probably the closest.

All Inn One, The Hob, Capitol, and others around near FH station are currently getting most of my trade, but I will try other places in Sydenham.

Are there any pubs in the Silverdale/Sydenham/Perry triangle?
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Real ale on tap would be nice...
shell1

Post by shell1 »

Lee- don't mean to be pedantic but the world famous musician's name is "Herp" Albert I believe (which is unfortunate if you add an "es" at the end of his name).

And yes, I agree with the previous post, as the front of "The Alfred" looks smarter and more inviting, I popped my head in this afternoon for future reference(which I had previously never done before). Next step will be to venture inside and test the goods. Thank you to the Alfred management for sharpening up this corner of Sydenham. :D
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hmm, ok Shell1, I'm not sitting on your pub quiz team.

Either that or the designer of his Album Cover is as bad at spelling as me if his name really is Herp (isn't Herb short for Herbet?):

http://a7.vox.com/6a00d414298a4e3c7f00f ... 0002-320pi

Nil Points?
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Deffo Herb Alpert - my mum and dad had all his albums, and it still brings back memories when I hear anything by him.

Herb Alpert was the 'A' in A&M records - there's some trivia.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Pub quiz at the Alfred then?
pip

Post by pip »

They used to have a weekly quiz at the Alfred, I think Tuesdays.
Not sure whether it still happens.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Yeah I think the p and the b got mixed up ... Herb Alpert not Herp Albert ... no relation to Prince Alfred though :wink:

Went in there couple of times last year - wasnt too bad really - furniture a bit tatty ... but in a homely well worn comfortable way. There was no real bad vibe that I thought might be ... looking at it from the outside and intial impression.

Must check it out again following the remake.
shell1

Post by shell1 »

Oh dear - maybe I should've checked the HerB Albert facts before committing to STF post! :oops: I guess I'll have to buy the first round if I can delicately creep onto someone's pub quiz team (am quite good on any questions relating to Desperate housewives - or lack of - story lines??). :wink: