The Old bank...

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
G-Man

The Old bank...

Post by G-Man »

Hello

Just about the old derelict bank on Sydenham Road.

I know there has been alot of chat about this place on here but a source told G-lady the other day that it has been sold for sometime and is set to become a restaurant either this year or next, said source was tring to acquire the premises for something else but was informed of this situation. Does anyone know anything more?

Cheers all.

G-man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hmm, it's no longer listed on King Sturge...but I have heard so many rumours I believe it when I see it.

This is one I want to be involved in if someone does take it over. It's such a prominent site it HAS to looks the part. It has to impress.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Just out of interest, here are the latest results from the What If Sydenham blog on the state of the high street and what people think:

mummycat

Post by mummycat »

G-man:

If you mean the old HSBC bank, I enquired for a friend who had wanted to use it as an Art Gallery (with small vegetable growing plot outside), but was also disappointed to hear these rumours, that it had been sold. She'd also heard that Gurkha's had also wanted it (!) and Pizza Express was coming (!!). Because she thought it had been snapped up, she lost interest in moving into Sydenham. A great shame as I think a permanent Art Gallery with affordable work will be a great asset for the High Street. I'd be interested you heard these rumours from.....

Back in January I made many phone calls and it was still available then.

I wrote on a post called "Input Please" the following:

You need to pop into the Beckenham Branch (141 High Street) and speak to the Branch Manager, Dave Clements. Nobody's giving details out over the phone as they want time wasters, etc.

I found this information by ringing Penge branch and asking who;'s responsible for the sale. They were helpful but couldn't give out a telephone number.

Hope this helps....
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

It was still available in January? Well, the people who told G-lady are opening another business at some point soon and probably enquired around then but were told it had been sold and there would be a restaurant there by the end of the year or beginning of next year...sold rather than let...who would buy a shop and leave it empty for so long...

I want to know more...

G-Man

PS: Raff's Pizza's are fine...bog off Pizza Express...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Have you tried the pork medallions at Raffs? I had them last week and they were amazing.
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

If it has been sold recently, the new owner should be listed on the Land Registry website, as I understand it. That could give some clue as to what it'll become.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Fed up with chicken shops, kebab / burger joints, ...all sorts of food outlets.
What about something really useful...I know...an ART gallery!!! Am I going mad?

Anybody for a reasonable shoe shop? Shoes, you know, they go over your feet.
Sports shop? Toy shop?
Variety, choice, proper usefulness...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm with you on this Trawlerman.

I think an art gallery would be good, Sugahill has displays of art, as does Tratorria and the Arts festival is well attended. Hopefully some of the empty shops will open as pop up art galleries during the festival (there is talk of it).

There seem to a a lot of artists around here so it seems silly NOT to have a shop selling arts supplies. I'd find it handy now I'm a local business.

Also a music shop. How many people do you see carrying music cases at the station? Loads!

We also have a few gyms, a number of joggers, a tennis club and the national sports centre nearby and yet we have no sports shop here.

Perhaps some what if's for the future.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Lee, there used to an art supplies shop here a few years ago. I think it was near Lidl. I came over from Forest Hill a couple of times to look for things.

The stationers next to Somerfield does have some supplies at the back, but it could be much better organised in there. They even have some nice gifts for kids but you would never know unless you rumaged about a bit.

Some niche shops like the ones you mention above would be really good....
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

I used to buy my art supplies from Aardvark too, Poppy. Now it's Bishop's Furniture. I have to resort to eBay or go into the West End. I used to work for a Graphic Suppliers after leaving Art College and if you know exactly what you want it's easy to track it down on eBay...

It's not clear how fresh the paints, pens, etc. are in the local shops as they could have been sitting on the shelves for years!

Art for All (in Bromley High Street) is good for stock and advice.
Blushingsnail

Post by Blushingsnail »

Continuing the threadnap on buying art supplies: now the ELL is open, a trip to Shoreditch High Street will take you to Atlantis, which claims to be the UK's largest art and craft materials store. It's now located in Hanbury Street, off Brick Lane.

Back on topic: if the building were to change into a restaurant, wouldn't it need change of use planning permission? And as such an application hasn't been made yet, no one can say for sure that it will become a restaurant in the near future.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

we have quite a few places displaying art. Dartmouth Arms and Dolphin does so fairly regularly, Sugahill, Kirkdale Books and now Alhambra also have almost permanent displays/sales.

Our closest sports shop is in Forest Hill, but I'm sure there used to be one on Sydenham Road about 10 years ago, opposite Kente.

I rode the ELL yesterday and it has opened up some opportunities in the East End, but as Lee says, Sydenham needs to keep pace. Likewise people from the East End may want to come sowf of the river to see what we have to offer. It would be a shame to disappoint, but i'm sure we won't if we keep the momentum going.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Yes, currently the ELL could result in one way traffic with people going elsewhere to spend their money so in fact Sydenham misses out.
shell1

Post by shell1 »

A restaurant (quality Thai?) or a good quality shoe shop would be ideal.
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

Ooh would love a decent quality shoe shop on the high street - although I tend to travel to Bromley or Croydon for shoes and clothes. Still it would be nice to see the old bank opening as a shop that fills a gap on the high street.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

But our source told us it was defo going to be a restaurant...no art shop I'm afraid....so can anyone shed any further light on the matter?

G-man
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Blimey!! Another restaurant. Just what our neck of the woods really needs.
I wonder if we are slowly losing the ability to try stuff for ourselves.
Today I had a go at Moroccan lamb [etc] ..not bad [if I say so myself!!]
Are our high streets becoming a bit lop-sided?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

We have more empty shops that we have restaurants don't we?

"In order to make the high street a destination I think we need about another 5 restaurants in Sydenham. Good ones."

These are not my words, they are the words of a business owner in the high street.

A jam circus type place in the old HSBC would be great. Something that can drag people into the high street at night, to make use of the pocket square.
multisync

Post by multisync »

For god's sake we need a hell lot more than restaurants to open up our high street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!