Sydenham Co-Op

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
sean

Sydenham Co-Op

Post by sean »

When is the Co-Op opening? Anyone know?
simon

Post by simon »

Sommerfield closes on the 10th for a week and reopens as the Co-op I think. There are a few bargains being knocked out at present to get rid of all the Sommerfield stock.
sean

Post by sean »

Cathy

Post by Cathy »

17th June... :D
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Lots of shiny new trolleys by the railings!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The quickest what if ever...With apologies to Mummycat for adopting her image, any thoughts on making the Co-operative the greenest supermarket in Sydenham?

I'm a big fan of vertical wall systems. This is possibly the ugliest building in Sydenham and is now owned by the most ethical and greenest Supermarket in the UK...so What If...

mummycat

Post by mummycat »

....and what if those bollards became trees like, say silver birch which can grow quite closely together?

I like this interactive What If? :D
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

and while you're at it, Lee - change the railings to a nice white picket fence....
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

And while you're at it, Lee - change the shop into a Police station that actually functions as a Police station instead of the community window-dressing we have on Dartmouth road. Sorry to ruin the party, everyone. But we really could do with one of those around here!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Are they open yet? (Having just been to Penge Sainsburys as a substitute).
Hey BBW there is a nice little copshop in Maple Road. No nectar points or divi I'm afraid but they are very tasty :wink:

Stuart
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

7am tomorrow, Stuart. No word of an "Official Opening" yet, though...
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

bigbadwolf wrote:And while you're at it, Lee - change the shop into a Police station that actually functions as a Police station instead of the community window-dressing we have on Dartmouth road. Sorry to ruin the party, everyone. But we really could do with one of those around here!
why? The police generally come to you as it it...front offices (3 on this borough) are generally under-used.
Giddysquid

Post by Giddysquid »

I wonder what famous celeb will get to open the new store. :D
stuart

Post by stuart »

Well ... to save embarrassment I went in this morning with Admin and declared it well and truly open (very quietly). Was that Robert De Niro behind me in queue?

Stuart
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Yes Stuart.

"Robert De-Nero's waiting".
stuart

Post by stuart »

Or maybe nasaroc has been at the Grecian 2000 :wink:

Stuart
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Why? The police generally come to you as it it...front offices (3 on this borough) are generally under-used.
Because - underused or not - a Police station should project itself as a sanctuary for the vulnerable or fearful aswell as a symbol of authority. Not a place where a visitor could be greeted with a sign declaring that the staff have gone for lunch, so to speak.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Not sure if I like the idea of police stations 'projecting themselves'!!

HMMM...I know ...How about the idea of mobile mini police stations...doing the rounds ...as it were? Eh?

.... Saw an ad for mobile [Nat West] banks... Thought the idea looked quite good.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Not sure if I like the idea of police stations 'projecting themselves'!!

Lurking in the shadows when I submitted the first draft, eh Trawlerman? Well spotted.

.... Saw an ad for mobile [Nat West] banks... Thought the idea looked quite good.

I don't under any circumstances want to distract from the focus of OP's thread; but it's funny you should mention this, Trawlerman. Now, I know they're not commissioned by the same bank (or are they?) and I know their purpose is to drum up some much needed business but in my - often inflated - opinion the latest offering from Halifax bank that revolves around two gormless tarts sitting and spilling tea in a radio booth is f_cking woeful and induces unconfined annoyance and frustration.

But, I have a question.

Is anyone of the opinion that these adverts could be tweaked for the benefit of their disinterested audience?

I ask because I propose that instead of the ladies broadcasting intermission radio endorsements for the bank, being brought a cup of tea, spilling the beverage, then excusing their mistake in the form of a quick glance followed by a guilty giggle. The ad should play out as follows: Ladies broadcasting intermission radio endorsements for Halifax bank. A colleague is seen entering the presenters booth with a claw hammer. The scene then relocates to a suburban household where a housewife or metrosexual househusband can be seen listening in dumb struck shock to the dull thuds and petrified screams of a horrific, but live, hammer attack.

Or am I alone in favouring this alternative?
simon

Post by simon »

There was an "opening" this morning; at about 10.00 am. A bunch of local schoolkids in red jumpers, some staff and a photographer were assisted by a bored looking PR operative, some oversized scissors and a branded yellow ribbon. To get the right pictures it was held outside Whites, by the rabbit hutches. Everyone seemed to enjoy it and even the PR operative smiled, briefly.
The shop is a bit of a mish-mash but I'm sure we'll get used to it.