Keen cycle nuts in Sydenham ?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
stuart

Re: Keen cycle nuts in Sydenham ?

Post by stuart »

Yes I do see a lot of MTBs on the train towards the North Downs on a Sunday. But a warning. Southern & SouthEastern have pretty well banned bikes (except 'compact' folders) at all times for the Olympics/Paralumpics 27th July - 9th September. So you will have to pedal all the way ...

I'm off to see the end of the TdF - by bike. PM me if you want to join us (leave midnight 19th).

Stuart
cyclesteve

Post by cyclesteve »

stuart wrote:I'm off to see the end of the TdF - by bike. PM me if you want to join us (leave midnight 19th).

Stuart
Wow !! Nice one Stuart, give Brad my congratutions when he brings home that yellow jersey.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
wrightie

Post by wrightie »

Great idea taking in the finish, unfortunately there's no way I could swing that on top of everything else. Feeling a little green...

Regarding MTBing, Herne Hill Velo has a bit, and there's always Hog Hill (which isn't exactly local)... The Downs are ok , but Swinley Forrest is better and not too far. I also hear theres a purpose built trail center down near Tonbridge. Personally, I just take myself off to Wales a couple of times a year for my fix, Afan being closest. Hoping to get out there over the August Bank Holiday.
cyclesteve

Post by cyclesteve »

You venture out on the North Downs By road bike Wrightie ? If you ever fancy it, me and a few local guys often nip out there most week ends, you're welcome to join us, same goes out to everyone in Sydenham.

stone28

Post by stone28 »

...I just take myself off to Wales a couple of times a year for my fix...
Wales..... Nice...... ;-)

I think first I have to try any of your other mentioned trials to see if I can even ride a bike ;-). Thanks for all your suggestions. I will try to test them in order of distance ;-) but read somewhere else as well that Swinley is nice.

Two weeks ago or so I was planning to go to Epping Forest (never been there either), and all ready to go on Sunday, checked the trains (I knew something is going from Liverpool Street), and Upppss! Mon-Fri trains only! DAMN! Next time will be ready with my roof rack.

Anyway, Downs or Tonbridge can I get there from Sydenham Hill station? I might drive there but just in case I would like to know alternatives.

Thanks.
jonathan_har

Post by jonathan_har »

Worth mentioning Epping Forest too, I used to go quite often when i lived in Hackney and it is surprisingly good, especially once you have been a few times and start spending less of the time lost. Maybe a bit of stretch from Sydenham, but in theory possible, train to London Bridge, pedal to Liverpool St then train to Chingford approx 30mins, so just over an hour all in. Anyway, I said in theory, I have a baby now so no time for any mud plugging!

Also worth mentioning Penge CC which has a relaxed Sunday road run from SE20 Cycles, also worth a mention.
stone28

Post by stone28 »

Epping Forest From Liverpool Street like I've said doesn't work weekends!

Going South North Downs or Tonbridge area.... What would be the best way to get there from Sydenham/Sydenham Hill station.

Thanks.
jonathan_har

Post by jonathan_har »

Liverpool St to Chingford every 15 mins all day weekends, takes 26 mins. Saying that Epp Forest only good when it been dry for a long spell.

stone28

Post by stone28 »

Thank you! Thank you......... I don't know what I was doing last time. I didn't go there as it was showing me that there is no direct connection. There was something happening that weekend and they didn't send these trains (I know small chance) or I was just plain stupid while looking for the connection on-line (most probable!). Anyway...... thanks for that, and thanks for other tip (dry vs wet). So I gather it's much better to go South then North? And Swinley of course ;-)
cyclesteve

Post by cyclesteve »

Well, well, well, its been nearly 4 years since I started this thread, so I thought I might as well drag it into 2014.
Fantastic to see the growing emergence of cycling not only in Great Britain but also in our surrounding area with the Crystal Palace triangle leading the way with the newly refurnished Cadence Performance Centre and the various Bike shops around there.
I noticed in another thread there was a suggestion for a bike shop in Sydders itself, I've been thinking this since the cycling boom really exploded during the London Olympics. If anyone needs a benchmark how to set up a local bike shop, then look no further than SE20 Cycles in Penge. its well run and stocked by the lovely Winnie. (who I often see coming back from his North Downs spin on a Sunday) who caters for most types of bikes and riders.
If any Sydenham riders or indeed anyone local does fancy a Sunday morning spin out on the Downs then why not get a little SF cycling group together, I myself belong to such a group that meet on Sydenham Road most Sundays but unfortunately I cant do every Sunday due to work commitments, if interested post on here or drop me a PM.
Stay safe guys n gals !!
Andwar

Post by Andwar »

I was thinking of starting a British Cycling affiliated club for Sydenham (Sydenham Cycle Club).

Currently there are only two of us who do a regular Sunday morning ride out to West Wickham and back. We start at 8am and are therefore back by 9am which leaves all of Sunday free to do what you want. Its only a 15km ride but ideal for beginners.

I thought about the Dulwich guys but they start so late that my day is wasted hence the early start. As summer approaches then we will probably start earlier thereby given us about a 3 hour ride to be back by 10am.

If anyone is interested in joining us then please respond here and I'll let you know where and when to meet.

Andy
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

I'd be keen to get involved if can get my arse in gear that early on a Sunday!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Just to prove how divided cycling is - there is an alternate ride starting @ 8.25am Sunday morning (excluding hurricanes, torrential downpours and ice) from Sydenham to Purley. Its one way, its currently one person and its down to the almost permanent disappearance of Sunday rail services.

It links up with day rides into Kent and Surrey for cake and ale: http://anerleybc.org
If you do the full bit you get back to Sydenham around 3pm winter or 4pm summer (slightly longer rides).

Normally one would ask riders if they can do 20 miles on their own comfortably at any speed. Being Sydenham - if you commute up'n'down Westwood Hill/College Road daily then you will breeze along nicely.

Oh, and just to be more perverse Anerley BC switched from BC to CTC last year and are 30% female :)

Then there is Penge CC and the speedy Dulwich boys ... all in all, whatever type of cyclist you are - Sydenham is a great place to start from. Whichever way you go - it can only get better!

And don't forget t'folks from up'north: http://lewishamcyclists.co.uk/

Stuart
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

Am about to become a cyclist but currently a runner! A friend is just starting a new club Beckenham based. MSG me if interested. :)
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Andy and Stuart - All sounds excellent.and will endeavour to get involved in a couple of weeks once settled after moving in... Think would have to have a couple of practice/longer cycles before getting onboard with the longer ones although the draw of cake and ale is a good motivator :)

Jon
stuart

Post by stuart »

Look, no helmets and lots of Routemasters!

A 1984 film describing the work of the GLC and its Cycling Unit. Demonstrates the huge changes in cycling in London over the last thirty five years. Director J.R.Davies.

[youtubes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmR5t2RELns[/youtubes]
stuart

Post by stuart »

The space4cycling campaign is live, please check out the website

http://action.space4cycling.org

Just enter your postcode and email and this website will e-mail the candidates for local councillor positions in your ward in the upcoming 2014 elections, asking them to commit to a specific improvement in your ward.

This is a unique opportunity to influence local politics and make some real progress towards a safer more pleasant cycling environment in London.

Stuart
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Done!
Much to my surprise I am classed as within the forest hill area.. Always thought I was Sydenham - especially as SE26? Anyhoo email sent :)
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

JMLF wrote:Done!
Much to my surprise I am classed as within the forest hill area.. Always thought I was Sydenham - especially as SE26? Anyhoo email sent :)
Some Sydenham Councillors also get confused about where the ward boundaries are as well :D
stuart

Post by stuart »

Got a speedy positive reply from the Green Party. Their major point was their support for borough wide 20mph zones was blocked by Labour. Given the strong evidence of cutting KSIs particulary amongst the most vulnerable road users including us I do hope our local Labour candidates will disassociate themselves from this.

Stuart