Sydenham Smells Lovely

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Juwlz

Sydenham Smells Lovely

Post by Juwlz »

Is it my imagination or does Sydenham smell LOVELY?

The last two evenings I've got the train from town to Sydenham and when I've got off the train at Sydenham I have noticed it smells really strongly of flowers - its really noticable walking all the way from the station and up Westwood Hill.

My theory is its the blossoms on the lime trees, there are a lot of them near the station and up Westwood Hill.

Anyone else noticed this or do I just have a sensitive nose?

:)
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Smells pretty awful on Venner Road, thanks to the bin men chucking random bits of crap all over the road as they emptied the bins, and the street sweepers who decided to pile up dozens of rubbish bags in the street, in plastic bags, so that cats and foxes could tear them apart and spread rotting food all across the place on a hot summer day. Brainless chumps.

Hurrumph!
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I have a blocked nose, but even I have noticed the really lovely smell of roses, as I walk along Queensthorpe Rd.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

And of course the smell of lavender on Silverdale

Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Someone suggested to me the smell is flowering privet hedges - but I'm not sure about that – I think it really is lime tree blossom.

I smelt the exact same smell in Waitrose carpark the other day and looked up and there were lots of lime trees with blossom on and not many other plants around at all so I am pretty much convinced that's what it i until proven otherwise!

Great lavender Tim. :)
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Juwlz - funny you should say that because when I got off the train at Sydenham this evening I was reminded of the sweet smell of the Greek countryside - rather like when you first step off the plane at one of the airports and you can smell that warm smell of the thyme, etc. Made me feel quite nostalgic and it defintely wasn't wishful thinking........
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

I was cycling down the high street and slowed down passed the station to prolong enjoying the gorgeous scent in the air - what is it? It's lovely - how I love the summer :D
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

Quote Juwlz:"My theory is its the blossoms on the lime trees, there are a lot of them near the station and up Westwood Hill".

If we can attribute the gorgeous scent around the high street to the blossoms on the lime trees, what a thought to plant these trees further down the high street? Can anyone confirm this?
Tim Lund

quinnberry spam

Post by Tim Lund »

Hi Admin - can you deal with this apparent spammer quinberry?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Perhaps he's a potential investor Tim? lol
pip

Post by pip »

All I can smell is a Rat.

Sydenham smells lovely? It certainly doesnt when the Cappagh sludge gulpa lorry turns up as it does most afternoons outside Sydenham Kebab and fills the air with the stench of raw sewage and has been doing so for months now.
Anyone know whats going on?
biscuit

Re: Sydenham Smells Lovely

Post by biscuit »

OK - Pip, aside from the smell of sewage outside the Kebab shop, Sydders smells just gorgeous! Would be great to have more lavender planted (might help soothe drivers rage when caught up in the endless road works on the high street). Perhaps an idea for a guerilla lavender planting day?
tulip1

Re: Sydenham Smells Lovely

Post by tulip1 »

Lime tree blossom...lavender.....jasmine too......too late to smell of tulips :)