Stripping wood.

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
sarahc

Stripping wood.

Post by sarahc »

Hi Lemonade,

I took it into my head last September to strip our staircase. I used an electric paint stripper - but my 1930s house has so many layers of paint - it is proving to be a bloody nightmare! Under all the layers of paint, is a black tarry sort of paint, which doesn't want to come off. I have bought a big tin of Nitromol - but after reading the instructions, looks like I will burn the carpet and die of fume inhalation!

So, my predicament now is - I am left with the bottom half of my staircase stripped and the other half has 6000 layers of paint!

Any suggestions as to how I can do this hard job easily? How much do you think the professionals will charge to come and do this god-awful job for me (are we talking 2nd mortgage!!??)?

Regards,
Sarah :(

PS Just realised after posting - that I did a new topic rather than reply to your DIY offer!! Sorry - this is not meant to be a stand-alone DIY request!!
lemonade

Your Staircase

Post by lemonade »

Hi Sarahc
Stripping a staircase is a tedious task, especially if you have any kind of decorative ballustrade. It can often take a while to get down to all the layers of paint. However you'll be deeply satisfied when it's done.
The "tarry" black paint you mention sounds like an early oil-based primer. Unlike most paints, the oil contained within is heavy. This was designed to impregnate into the grain, creating a seal.
When you use an electric heat gun on modern gloss paints, the paint shrinks, burns and falls away. But if you strip a heavy oil based paint, the oil burns and bubbles. It can re-mix with the paint to cause a black, sticky mess.
Yes Nitromors will burn your carpet if in contact. It has a horrid smell and is messy when used indoors.
I would suggest the following; Carry on with your hard work using your electric paint stripper until you get down to the "black stuff", then sand off the black. Though it is a painstaking approach. (sanding creates much less heat and will remove the residue)
If that doesn't sound appealing, I would suggest you purchase a product I've used from a TV shopping channel. It's called Ready Strip. It really does work well. It's non-toxic and has little odour. You apply it thickly to all surfaces you want stripped. Leave it to dry preferably overnight and scrape it off. (unlike many products I've purchased from TV shopping channels, Ready Strip really does work well) The product creates a chemical reaction with the paint. There is little heat created and numerous layers are stripped at once.
Alternatively you could always contact a few restorers for free quotes. This will at least give you some idea as to how much it would cost. I wouldn't have a clue as to how much. sorry.
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Thanks Lemonade,

Have spent the last 20 mins searching the net for Ready-Strip. On e-bay it is a reasonable price, but person wants $78 shipping!! Tried a few TV shopping websites - but they only seem to sell Ready-Strip in America. Not having much luck locating Ready-Strip!! There is a product available in UK called Kling Strip. Might give that a try.

Thanks again for all your help.

Sarahc :D
reasontobecheerful

Post by reasontobecheerful »

Have found it for you at QVC!Hope it helps!Good luck.

http://tinyurl.com/hvevv
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Thank you so much! :D
gillyjp

Stripping the staircase

Post by gillyjp »

You have my sympathy and admiration!

We stripped our staircase and the handrail and spindles. However we found like you that it was a nightmare, with all that black tar stuff dripping everywhere, once you penetrate every layer of paint. We tried as much as possible to be eco friendly but in the end we resorted to chemicals and cheated a bit, we dismantled the spindles and took them up to the chap at the top of Sydenham and had them dipped. That had its own nightmare as you have to number them so that they go back in exactly the right order otherwise you end up with a right mess. There were 70 of them and we painted or varnished them with wood stain. Sanding down all the surfaces with an eletric sander was not a great experience either. The cat nearly left home!

However it was very much worth all the blood, sweat and tears as it is now just how we wanted it and looks great.
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Thanks. I do really wish I hadn't started it now. It looks a complete mess. I really don't want to do anymore - but can't leave it in the state it's in at the moment! Have reached the decision that I will wait till the nice, summer months come and maybe I will have more enthusiasm - that's what I'm telling myself anyway!!! :wink:
uk121121@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Stripping wood.

Post by uk121121@yahoo.co.uk »

sarahc wrote:Hi Lemonade,

I took it into my head last September to strip our staircase. I used an electric paint stripper - but my 1930s house has so many layers of paint - it is proving to be a bloody nightmare! Under all the layers of paint, is a black tarry sort of paint, which doesn't want to come off. I have bought a big tin of Nitromol - but after reading the instructions, looks like I will burn the carpet and die of fume inhalation!

So, my predicament now is - I am left with the bottom half of my staircase stripped and the other half has 6000 layers of paint!

Any suggestions as to how I can do this hard job easily? How much do you think the professionals will charge to come and do this god-awful job for me (are we talking 2nd mortgage!!??)?

Regards,
Sarah :(

PS Just realised after posting - that I did a new topic rather than reply to your DIY offer!! Sorry - this is not meant to be a stand-alone DIY request!!

hi everybody,
i have some redystrip available new packed which i over bought for my staircases, i can sell it at half price 25/each delivered to your house free.
john

Please Private Message John for more info.
Admin
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Hi John

Thank you for your message - I have got some already. Thanks for the offer though.

Sarahc
GemStone

HI SARAHC

Post by GemStone »

SORRY FOR THE HUGE GAP. I REALISE I MUST BE WAY TOO LATE AND YOU HAVE DONE THE JOB BY NOW BUT I ONLY JUST NOTICED YOUR TOPIC.
YES READY STRIP IS VERY GOOD. I HAVE USED IT FREQUENTLY MYSELF. UNFORTUNATLY IT IS COSTLY AS I AM SURE YOU KNOW.
HAVE YOU TRIED SANDING THE STAIRCASE?????
SO TELL ME PLEASE HOW IS IT LOOKING. ARE YOU PLEASED WITH THE RESULT?????
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Hi Gemstone,

Just noticed your message asking after my staircase!! Therefore, sorry for delay in replying!

Well, the staircase is in the exact same condition as it was when I first posted. The big QVC box of Ready Strip is still sitting in the cupboard under the stairs. I did have good intentions of starting the job, but combined with a stay in Lewisham Hospital, a holiday and the mini heat wave - I have done bugger all!! (excuses excuses!)

I intend to get it done in the 6 weeks school holidays - no doubt with the help from my 4 year old (ooh that'll be fun).

Will keep you all posted!!

sarahc :oops:
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Hi Everyone,

Quick update for you..... Have finally started the 'famous' stripping of the staircase and can I just say "OH MY GOD!!!!!". That Ready Strip is bloody marvellous! I have done about one third of the said staircase and it was sooooo easy. It is looking fantastic. It is so easy that I have indeed enrolled my 4 year olds help! She loves it!!

So, anyone out there thinking of stripping any kind of wood - give Ready Strip a go. Big thanks to Lemonade for suggesting it in the first place.

sarahc :D