Children's Home - Newlands Park

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Catlover

Children's Home - Newlands Park

Post by Catlover »

Hi, my mother was in a children's home in the Sydenham/Penge area in the late 1940s. She remembers it was near Newlands Park. Does anyone know which home it could have been?
brian stimson

Re: Children's Home - Newlands Park

Post by brian stimson »

I lived in Sydenham prior to 1958 and I can remember what I think was a Children's Home just by Penge East Station although I can't remember the name of it. If you turned left out of Venner Road (Penge East Station end) there is some newish three story flats on the left hand side, well that is where the Children's home was, I think. It was a row of brick built terraced houses.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

About 1958-9 I can remember my mother taking me to a nursery in the house you are talking about. It had a playground at the back and was called The Cherry Tree.
Catlover

Post by Catlover »

Hi, Thanks for your replies. I think the home you are talking about is probably the right one - the location fits with what my mum remembers. If anyone out there can remember any more details about the home please let me know - any photographs would also be appreciated.