Tomcat keeps getting in, advice please.

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
CaptainCarCrash

Tomcat keeps getting in, advice please.

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

There is a stray Tomcat that keeps getting into my place while I'm at work, he's been spraying and pissing on my sofa and my flat stinks. We live on the ground floor and have an unlockable catflap I've tried blocking it but he still manages to get in. Know any good stealth ways I can kill it. I was thinking lay down some whiskas laced with rat poison which should work, Just wondering anyone know of a better way?
digime2007

Re: Tomcat keeps getting in, advice please.

Post by digime2007 »

Are you sure it's a Tomcat and not a Big Bad Wolf?

Assuming it might be the latter I'd advised you to double up on that Whiskas. 8 out of 10 big bad wolves prefer it.
CaptainCarCrash

digime2007 wrote:Are you sure it's a Tomcat and not a Big Bad Wolf?

Assuming it might be the latter I'd advised you to double up on that Whiskas. 8 out of 10 big bad wolves prefer it.

Talking of BBW's I haven't seen the one that comes on here for a while, have you?

He must have been re-homed.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Perhaps replace your cat flap with a lockable one? They are all more or less the same size so it's relatively easy to do.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
CaptainCarCrash

rshdunlop wrote:Perhaps replace your cat flap with a lockable one? They are all more or less the same size so it's relatively easy to do.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

I'm looking for cost affective answers here, the flap is integral to the door and cannot be replaced without replacing the whole pannel and I'm not paying anyone because of a stray moggie stinking up my place.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Ah, sorry, thought it was a standard catflap, which are very easy to change yourself, so it would only cost the price of the catflap. And I assumed you had cats of your own so needed the catflap to be operational

You best bet is to stop him getting in by securely locking that catflap. Duct tape all round (inside and out) will do it, but doesn't look very nice. Is there any way you can attach a lock to the catflap? If you can screw into the flap itself (assuming it's plastic) use NoNails tape to secure a hasp or simple bolt across the catflap and the doorframe.

Assuming you don't have cats of your own, there are herbal deterrents you can use, granules and sprays. Homebase etc sell the granules, which you sprinkle round areas you want to deter the cat from. They are designed for using outside (they are in the gardening section), but I've used them indoors and they've worked for me in deterring my cats from spraying in certain areas.

And remember not to use standard household cleaning products to clean the area where the cat sprayed - they contain ammonias that just encourage more spraying. I've always found using a solution of washing up liquid the best. And steaming is best for the sofas etc.

You have my sympathies - tomcat spraying is really unpleasant.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Being bullied by the local neighbourhood Tom, Mike. You have my sympathies. It's not nice when you're being persecuted by a cat.

It reminds me of my own experience at the paws of a malicious moggy.

When I was little, I was given two rabbits who I named 'Daff' and 'Dill'. I loved those rabbits and I played with them everyday after school. One day, I was about to go out and feed them. I was stopped in my tracks by my father who wanted to shield me from the carnage caused by a selfish, murderous cat. But it was too late. What I saw would stay with me for the rest of my life. There were bits of 'Daff' and 'Dill' all over the garden. I was distraught, tears running down my innocent cheeks.

That's when I saw him.

The cat from a few doors up was watching the result of his handiwork from a safe distance at the bottom of the garden. Blood all round his mouth. I screamed after him that one day I'd have my revenge. I vowed to myself that I would get even with him, one way or the other.

I spent my spare time alone, formulating my plan. One evening I crept into my parents bedroom and started rooting around in my fathers cupboard. After about 2-3 minutes of rummaging, I eventually wrapped my little fingers around the cold, steel barrel of his air rifle. I hid the weapon under my bed and spent half an hour after school practicing in the garden on paper targets and familiarising myself with the telescopic scope before my parents would come home from work. All the while, I was studying my targets routine.

After a week, I was ready.

I feigned illness and got a day off from school. I waited until the house was empty before preparing myself for what had to be done. I got changed into a boilersuit, that I found, in my size, somewhere, and applied camouflage paint to my face. I then went to the garden and hid behind some bags of cement.

I was just about to fall asleep when I heard the telltale bell ringing behind the garden fence. A loose board started to move, and my quarry squeezed effortlessly through. I gently eased the air rifle to my shoulder as I crouched behind the cement sack; dialing the windage and elevation into the scopes turrets. I had him in my sights, my finger gently pulling back on the trigger.

Crack!

The pellet exited the weapon and silently sped towards its furry mark.

It was a bad shot. The pellet had smashed into the cats face, but had glanced off of its left cheek. I had to act fast as the cat stumbled about the garden/killing zone, stunned.

I broke the rifle over my knee, exposing the breach. I then rolled onto my back with the rifle butt between my legs and heaved down on the barrel. It took nearly all of my strength, but eventually, just before I thought I'd have to give-up, I heard the spring click; secure in its mechanical clasp. I thumbed a pellet into the breach, snapped the gun shut and took aim.

Crack!

Through the scope I could see that the pellet had severed the cats front leg below the knee. He was stumbling about in unimaginable agony, hindered by the bloody stump. A cruel smile crept across my mouth as I started the lawnmower, heading towards the stricken cat with quiet determination. I stopped in front of him, watching the cat hiss and claw at me. I tilted the lawnmower back to expose the lethal, rotating blade, and calmly lowered it onto the wounded cat, tearing him to pieces in the blink of an eye.

I've never spoken to anyone about what unfolded that afternoon, but after having a dinner of rabbit stew with my parents, I couldn't help but laugh when my father explained that he couldn't understand why someone, for some inexplicable reason, had crudely etched what looked like the paw of a cat into the butt of the rifle.

I won't tell him if you don't.

Oh, and, Mike. Can't you just put a washing-up bowl full of water under the inside of the cat-flap? That should do the trick. Otherwise, tool-up.
Last edited by bigbadwolf on 30 Oct 2010 14:45, edited 6 times in total.
CaptainCarCrash

Great post there BBW,

I've never hurt an animal out of revenge, but cats are evil predators and never loose their instinct to hunt. They will kill anything smaller than themselves, the pesky blighters.

I'll try a painttray with washing up liquid water in and see what happens.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Mike, the only language cats understand is violence. Surround the inside of the cat-flap with razor wire which will snare the trespassing cat. When you return from work, you can either put it in the microwave or bash its brains out with a spade.

The choice is yours.
CaptainCarCrash

Harsh but fair :evil:

:lol:
kennyb

Post by kennyb »

Cats!!! bloomin vermin all of them; is it a feral cat? just kill it, I have a trick with anti freeze that works but you have to get enough of it inside them at once or they go home to whatever sad case nearby feeds them and then die there .
Which causes a stink in more ways than one.

The best bet is to enourage the thing with a bit of grub so it gets cocky [ your sofa is ruined anyway] and then put a mink trap directly behind the catflap. wallop, one howling tom cat well and truly stufffed.
Then either drown it or a tungsten airgun pellet in the head behind the ear is quick and humane. If you are squeamish take it to a vet and get it put down.

either way, afterwards chuck it on the railway line loads of them die there anyway.

They really are complete and utter pests and keeping one of these unhygenic filthy vermin should be banned, they slaughter wild lfe, shit in your flower beds, scream all night and stink... mangy beasts.
There is no use or excuse for them.
A waste of Fur [well not in the chinese toy industry :twisted: ]
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

I know, but make sure you return the body to its owners, Mike. Otherwise they'll be sick with worry. Though how you explain the hideous injuries is down to you.

Make sure you keep us all informed and the result of any course of action you choose to take. Some pictures would be nice. The more graphic the better.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I've got two kittens, and they are of course lovely, but reading those posts did make me laugh, nearly out loud.

such sadism just for a puddy cat?!

I do get annoyed with my two, when they rip the leaves of my yuca plant to shreads, when they poo in the strawberry plant pot, when they scratch the olive tree to bits, when the poo in the litter tray isn't in the litter tray, and other things beside.

cat's don't like coffe grounds (they stick inbetween the paw pads) or the smell of oranges, or you could urinate around your own back door, that'd probably scare them off. If you're not up to that, you could take a trip to London zoo, and obtain some lion urine, and spray that around the area near the cat flap.

glue the cat flap shut, or wire it up to the grid - either stops him getting in, or persuades him it's not worth the effort.