car parking and repairs

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Annie

car parking and repairs

Post by Annie »

I would just like to ask the question,
Are people allowed to fix several cars at a time , park them on the street and sell them? is working from home like that allowed?
any ideas?
bigbadwolf

Re: car parking and repairs

Post by bigbadwolf »

No, it's a nuisance and against planning regulations. Several years ago, a man who was doing what you've described in the Derby Hill estate was successfully prosecuted and fined for repeatedly ignoring council warnings.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Outside of London it is a specific offence under the Town Police Clauses Act 1848. I believe there is an equivalent offence in London. However, I can't think of it off the top of my head.

I believe there is a recent Act that relates
to having more than one car parked near eachother advertised for sale. Ill go and see if i can look it up.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Having a look it's an offence under s.3 of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005.

I imagine it's something that's enforced by the council.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
kennyb

Post by kennyb »

Sounds like a working man just trying to earn a few bob in hard times?

why does it bother you?
as long as they are taxed and MOT'd I see no problem. just more cars in a sea of them.
perhaps he'd be better off scrounging on benefits?
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

kennyb wrote:Sounds like a working man just trying to earn a few bob in hard times?
To a certain extent I understand what you're saying, Kenny. And I'm sure that there are hundreds, if not thousands, or ad hoc mechanics who are just trying to earn a few extra pounds in these choppy financial waters we find ourselves in.

But there are an equal amount of inconsiderate oafs who subject the neighbourhood to the constant screeching of angle grinders and other power tools during the evening and weekends. They also cause a mess and let oil and other automotive fluids leak out onto the pavement.

There's also the little matter of whether or not they're sufficiently competent to be trusted to tinker about under the bonnet of a car. I mean, if you owned a successful business and you met a bloke down the pub who said he could do your accounts for cheaper and perhaps save you some money, would you put your finances in the hands of a man who 'says' he knows his way around a pencil and an abacus?

I think not.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Surely live and let die,

I think it's fine to do this kind of work, on the street garages have been about since forever.

Considering the fact that the Con-Dems are in power I am sure they would champion such a Delboy venture, as long as the grease monkey in question is paying his taxes it's not illegl. Environmentally speaking though he's probably dumping his spent oil and PCB containing lubricants down the nearest storm drain. Now that is a problem.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Thank you bensonby the info you have given is very useful, :)

Kennyb------Thank god you are not my neighbour,
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

It is a contravention, contrary to the local authority made and enforced, parking regulations that specifically forbids repairing vehicles on the street except in cases of emergency.

It is also a criminal offence contrary to Section 54.(1) of the Metropolitan Police Act 1939:

Every person who shall, to the annoyance of the inhabitants or passengers expose for show or sale (except in a market lawfully appointed for that purpose) or feed or fodder any horse or other animal, or show any caravan containing any animal or any other show or public entertainment, or shoe, bleed, or farry any horse or animal (except in cases of accident), or clean, dress, exercise, train, or break any horse or animal, or clean, make, or repair any part of any cart or carriage, except in cases of accident where repair on the spot is necessary [shall be guilty of an offence]
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

mikecg wrote:as long as the grease monkey in question is paying his taxes it's not illegl. m.

well, yes, it is...
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

kennyb wrote:Sounds like a working man just trying to earn a few bob in hard times?

why does it bother you?
as long as they are taxed and MOT'd I see no problem. just more cars in a sea of them.
perhaps he'd be better off scrounging on benefits?

Because it's against the law. And if that is not reason enough for you its arguably unsightly and an obstruction of the highway...
kennyb

Post by kennyb »

Because it's against the law
Undeniably. But not a hanging offence.
its arguably unsightly
If unsightly is a crime then is time to demolish most of SE26 shopping centres? and a few housing projects and council buildings
obstruction of the highway...
unlike the cars parked behind it in front of it opposite it..............? or builders skips

too easy to pick on minor infringements rather than pursue the larger ones.

If the guy concerned has any sense he will keep and noise dirt nuisance to a minimum and not into anti social hours; I have a lot of sympathy for the bloke trying to make a living in perhaps the only way he knows.
Perhaps he should just sign on for jobseekers?

I expect his worst crime is filling up a parking space nearer to someones home that they would prefer?
kennyb

Post by kennyb »

But if I was I could fix your car and clear out the cats?
Annie

Post by Annie »

kennyb wrote:
But if I was I could fix your car and clear out the cats?

Hee Hee i'll hold you to that!

where i live,there is enough space to park,and yes i think he is being inconsiderate parking 3 cars right outside mine and neighbours houses, I know why he is doing it,security, but then we want our cars to be secure (within sight).I have no objection to honest workers doing an honest days work,
just consider other people too.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Curtain twitchers and nosy parkers.

Some poor bloke is probably just trying to scratch a living mending cars and selling them, is it really that much of a big deal?
kennyb

Post by kennyb »

Thank you for having a sense of humour Annie, quite rare here.

From next year Jan 2011 I suspect your friends enterprise will be curtailed by a new insurance law which means DVLA will be comparing their records with those of the Motor Insurance Database to check if any particular vehicle is insured. If not it must be on SORN and off the road.
Failure to comply can result in confiscation of the vehicle as well as a hefty contribution to the exchequer.

The only way round this for your pal is have have a Motor Traders Insurance policy for which you need to have business premises, or at least I did when I was one. [Possibly need to be VAT registered as well, I can't remember now]

Anyone can do this now onthe AskMID.com site [eh Annie :wink: ]
more on http://www.direct.gov.uk/stayinsured

I have no time at all for uninsured vehicles.

Sadly the new law will be ignored by the legions of uninsured and unregistered Latvians, Albanians, Africans, Diplomats and every other Tomas Dickovski and Mohammed who seem to be the worst culprits.
Annie

Post by Annie »

mikecg wrote:Curtain twitchers and nosy parkers.

Some poor bloke is probably just trying to scratch a living mending cars and selling them, is it really that much of a big deal?
I'll send his now 4 car business, to sit right outside your house shall I?
Annie

Post by Annie »

kennyb wrote:
I have no time at all for uninsured vehicles.

Sadly the new law will be ignored by the legions of uninsured and unregistered Latvians, Albanians, Africans, Diplomats and every other Tomas Dickovski and Mohammed who seem to be the worst culprits.

Unfortunately the owner is amongst the above.
Thank you for all the info.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

as the person in question is, as you say, of the above, then maybe a photo copy of the appropriate section of the law, placed under each car windscreen wiper, might make him aware of his infractions, and he might desist, before some other neighbour gets the law involved.
kennyb

Post by kennyb »

Annie, just run the reg numbers through the askmid site; it will tell you at once if any are insured.

If not, even Dartmouth Road's finest are obliged to take action.
there is also a site where you can check for a valid MOT, but I cannot find the details.

Uninsured cars can get confiscated and crushed.
Despite my comments re the bloke earning a few bob, I am very much for that course of action.