Book Clubs

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Maria

Book Clubs

Post by Maria »

I understand there are a few book clubs in Sydenham, where I have just moved, but that they may be full.

Are there any other members out there who would like to start a new one?

I have moved to the area (from north London) and would love to rejoin such a group

Many thanks

Maria
Tinksqueak

Re: Book Clubs

Post by Tinksqueak »

I'd be interested in hearing about a new one if you have enough takers!
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I am a member of a book club that meets on the first Wednesday of every month, but it's in SE1, near London Bridge, so would also be up for joining something closer to home.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

A book club? Why not make a day of it and round things off with a trip the dust museum.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

I was invited to a book club not so long ago, but I was banished form my community and now have to wear a sack bag over my head when I go out, just in case I get recognised by the curator.
Maria

Post by Maria »

Wow... this forum really works in Sydenham: would not have this ease of communication north of the river I tell you!

Ok, so it looks like there are a few people possibly keen on a local book club: how about starting one? I would suggest meeting once a month, and alternate in people's houses (did that in Edinburgh and it worked rather well) as well as in book choice.

I will put my name down for it, to get the ball rolling. Any others?

Maria
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Maria wrote:Wow... this forum really works in Sydenham: would not have this ease of communication north of the river I tell you!

Ok, so it looks like there are a few people possibly keen on a local book club: how about starting one? I would suggest meeting once a month, and alternate in people's houses (did that in Edinburgh and it worked rather well) as well as in book choice.

I will put my name down for it, to get the ball rolling. Any others?

Maria
Tell me Maria, are you seriously suggesting that people let strangers into their homes?

I don't think thats a good idea myself because if people were to come round my house I'd be too busy showing them my collection of shrunken heads to get any reading done. Surely the pub is the only place for this kind of activity, No?
Maria

Post by Maria »

:)

Yes, yes, I think you are right: the pub idea is a great one (of course)

We will see if there are enough takers. How many is enough, I wonder? Suggestions completely different from mine highly welcome

M
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

I might join in with this...
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

My writing group meets at people's house, never had any trouble. Pubs are much too noisy - unless you find one with a meeting room. The Alhambra shop / cafe on Kirkdale has a room it hires out for this sort of thing, but then you would have to charge people to cover the cost.

A book group in Edinburgh, eh? Anyone remember the Channel 4 Friday night comedy called The Book Group, set in Edinburgh? If it's anything like that, count me in (it was surreally bonkers).

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Maria

Post by Maria »

...A few days later, due to 'flue, I am back in the Forum.

I found a copy of the fabulous Sydenham Arts Festival brochure and there it was, right as I opened the first pages, information on local choirs and a "Book Group Party" - where you could come along and meet people from established groups or "form a new one"; it took place in the Kirkdale Bookshop (have been 3 times to enquire, spoke to 3 different people.. but no one told me about this??) in June.

At that time I was surrounded by boxes and up to my knees in paint and diy stuff so could not attend but - seeing we are coming across different ideas, perhaps the 2 or 3 of us keen to set up a book club should wait till next year's festival?

In the meantime I shall continue to enjoy the Forum discussions though: vital for people like me who have only just become a "Sydenhamer"! I only wish I could go to the pub today with the other group (can't remember the name of the topic) as I too would welcome a greater community feeling. I read so many people stating that no one talks to anybody: they should try living in Islington, I tell you!! :) - I know, and talk to, lots of my neighbours already.
mitch_ems

Post by mitch_ems »

Maria, I would love to join a book club in Sydenham if you are still thinking about this...be it in a pub or home!
Maria

Post by Maria »

I have now joined a book club in the Sydenham Library - it happens on the first tuesday of the month, from 6.60 to 7.30. I do find, however, that the time if very inconvenient for me - so early and clashing with returns from work, tea time, etc; also one hour, I feel, is a very short time - especially bearing in mind that many of us arrive a few minutes late.

So, I have persevered: I go regularly to the gorgeous Kirkdale bookshop and ask re progress in forming a club. They tell me they have several names of people like us looking to join one; I have even offered to do some "voluntary work" by sitting there and taking the names apparently recorded in their black book so I could contact - but no luck with that suggestion.

I have to say I fail to understand - as I pointed out to them, we would most probably all actually buy the reading list books from their shop - so... why not put a piece of paper on the wall where people can write their names and emails/telephone numbers? I know they are extremely busy, but this would be an extremely straightforward thing to do and I myself would offer to contact everybody. I do love that shop but it needs a bit of lateral thinking.....

I have reconciled myself with the prospect of waiting till the next festival in the summer, when hopefully like last year, there will be an opportunity for all members of local book clubs to meet, form new ones. etc. Anybody with a speedier solution? Would be great to have constructive suggestions.
hazy

Post by hazy »

OK how about this -
We agree a day/time/place to meet in 3/4 weeks time, publicise widely on here, in the bookshop, down the pub, with the neighbours etc & see who turns up. & take it from there ......
My preference would be a pub, early in the week, 7ish
what do you think?
Hazy
Columbus

Post by Columbus »

Hi all. I've been wanting to join to a book club for ages but never got round to it. If you're able/decide to go for a Tuesday night then I'd like to join in please. No worries if not.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

I'm not a likely joiner but on looking at the frequency of posts and realising they're mostly from infrequent posters :oops: ......

everything's depending on their looking in so could be a bit hit and miss.

The scheduling idea might be worth PMing to possible joiners as they'll get an email alerting them to it.

Signing off
Nosey Parker :mrgreen:
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

hazy wrote:OK how about this -
We agree a day/time/place to meet in 3/4 weeks time, publicise widely on here, in the bookshop, down the pub, with the neighbours etc & see who turns up. & take it from there ......
My preference would be a pub, early in the week, 7ish
what do you think?
Hazy
Certainly this kind of idea is what happens when someone decides it's time for a STF social down the pub.

Stick your neck out, put a post with a date and venue in, and see what happens.

I might try the same with a chess "tournament" - one or two people have expressed an interest in something like that.
Maria

Post by Maria »

Ok, I will stick my neck out...

Tomorrow I will pm all those who have expressed a firm interest in forming a brand new book club; I will suggest a venue - the day will be tuesday (a stated choice from one of us) and the time probably 7pm.

To be continued..

Maria
mikej

Post by mikej »

I too am interested in joining a local Book Club; Maria, please PM me too and I'll see if I can make it.
Thanks
hazy

Post by hazy »

Count me in, Maria

Hill Dweller, you appear to have a strange fascination with posting frequency - I've noticed you mention it on several different threads - what's that all about?

Hazy