Book Clubs

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Hill Dweller

Re: Book Clubs

Post by Hill Dweller »

It was an objective comment hazy, nothing more than that (well, except to suggest a way for Maria - whose thread was only recently bumped - to be sure of reaching interested parties in time).

Some people are lookers and some people are shout-y, some have been members here for years and made less than five posts, I've been in just gone three months and made a hundred times that amount, some people have commented on my heavy input, it hasn't occurred to me to be bothered about their opinion.

Perhaps we all have different minds, different life-styles, differing access to Bb, differing 24/7s or ba-ba-boooooommmmm wha'evva :D .
hazy

Post by hazy »

Fair enough, Hill Dweller.

Maria - just a thought - might be worth avoiding the first Tues in the month to avoid clashing with the Syd Library one in case anyone wants to join both. My sis belong to two book clubs - but then she lives in rural France & there's not a lot else to do.
Maria

Post by Maria »

:D

Chill, Hill! (as my kids would say). And what's a "bumped thread"?

Hazy: yes, sure, will avoid the 1st tuesday, I will continue going to the S Library club, such lovely people!

Many thanks folks will be in touch when back home this evening; God knows if I will know how to pm so many people. Any suggestions, HD: can I add several to the same message or do I have to write 8 identical messages? Grateful for the advice, in advance,

maria
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Another interested person here!
Well done!
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

I'm absolutely fine Maria, that's why, merely as an observer I offered a completely objective suggestion :) .

A 'bumped' thread is one that had slid down a board due to lack of posts but is then bumped back to the top by one.

Illustrated example: This thread had been sliding downwards for 4months till Mitch Ems bumped it.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Ooops Maria hadn't noticed your query about multi-PMing.

I'm not ever so used to this forum's properties and I daresay that as PMing seems to be done from the icon alongside a person's post they need to be done individually. As it's the same msg to everyone I suppose you could just copy/paste the first version on to each subsequent icon :idea:

I just tried screaming for ADMIN to help but s/he can't have heard me .......
Maria

Post by Maria »

Thank you very much HD for your help and advice - and yes, I copied and pasted my message to all interested parties. Well, as there were 9 of them it wasn't too bad...

In future, however, when the club is fully up and running after the next planning meeting I really must learn how to reply to many and even to create a "group account".

Thanks again - maria
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Very welcome Maria :)

**curtseys**
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

any further news on this, or should I wait for a pm?
Maria

Post by Maria »

I sent you a PM on the 14 March re the initial planning meeting on tuesday the 29th. As you were not able to make it I promised I would take forward your suggestions and would get in touch with you after the meeting. Did you get that message? Am worried about not using the system properly...

I also wrote (through an individual PM) that I would be in touch closer to the time with a reminder of the meeting - will cc it to all those who cannot make it, yourself included. Would be grateful if you could let me know if you got that 2nd message

thanks - maria
thebookshop

Post by thebookshop »

ATTENTION BOOK-LOVERS

Kirkdale Bookshop will now be hosting a bi-monthly Open Book Club. No exclusivity, no waiting list, just turn up! The first Group will be held on Wednesday 21st September 2011, see http://www.kirkdalebookshop.com for more details.

KB
JRobinson

Sydenham Book Club

Post by JRobinson »

We are a local book club made up of people who mostly posted earlier in this thread. We are currently looking to increase our membership by one or two people. If you are interested in joining a monthly book club, please send me a personal message (pm) on this forum.

a bit about our club: We set up the club through STF, when the Kirkdale bookclub was already full. We all live locally, and we meet on the last Wednesday of the month, in a local pub. We take it in turns each month to create a shortlist, one of which is chosen to be read and discussed two months later. We are roughly equal numbers of male and femal, and age range from 'thirty ish' to 'older'.

here's a list of the books that we've read so far.
-The Winter Ghosts - Kate Moss
- Deception - Philip Roth
- Brooklyn - Colm Toibin
- The Outcast - Sadie Jones
- The New Confessions - William Boyd
- Grace Williams says it Loud - Emma Henderson
- The Dirty South - Alex Wheatle
- Twelve - Jasper Kent
- Snowdrops - A D Miller
- Chicken with Plums - Majane Satrapi
- Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
- Befor I go to Sleep - A J Watson