Some minor observations

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
summerbreeze

Some minor observations

Post by summerbreeze »

I joined this site a little while ago, as I have always been a keen supporter of community and community spirit with the community in which myself and family live.
Last I night spent a long time reading through the threads and posts to get a feel of people around on here before I start to really contribute to what I feel is a great site for local community issues, good or bad.

I would like to express my observations as a newbie so please be kind to me if my observations are a little wrong. I do apologise.

Observation 1: I did notice some people were ridiculed for poor grammar and or spelling.

So I would like to apologise for mine beforehand. I must admit I don’t have a Masters degree in English and must confess I even failed my CSE in English too.

Observation 2: It does seem many of the posters are of the male variety.

I could be completely wrong as some might come to think I am too within time.

Observation 3: When making a thread is there an option to include a poll as if there was I would like to ask the good people here if you are indeed a male or female?

As I do believe a balance of both is always good for both topic and debates and very much part of the community around.
digime2007

Re: Some minor observations

Post by digime2007 »

Hello and welcome.

I'm male and try to be grammatically correct but don't take burning pokers to those that fail.

Hope that helps.
summerbreeze

Post by summerbreeze »

Hi Digime,

Thanks for the welcome, don't make me to comfortable I might have to get my slippers out. :)

I have already made a blunder, it is always best to read the questions and answers section before asking a question, as I could of added a poll. whoops

said from a :oops: female
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

I joined this site a little while ago, as I have always been a keen supporter of community and community spirit with the community in which myself and family live.
Last I night spent a long time reading through the threads and posts to get a feel of people around on here before I start to really contribute to what I feel is a great site for local community issues, good or bad.

Welcome aboard.

I would like to express my observations as a newbie so please be kind to me if my observations are a little wrong. I do apologise.

Not at all, most of your 'observations' are spot on.

Observation 1: I did notice some people were ridiculed for poor grammar and or spelling.
It's not exclusive to this forum, you'll encounter it on any message board you visit online, except ones that focus on marijuana and turbo-modified cars. Classical music boards are the worse culprits.

So I would like to apologise for mine beforehand. I must admit I don’t have a Masters degree in English and must confess I even failed my CSE in English too.

Again, not to worry. I don't have a degree in English and half of Sydenham can't read anyway.

Observation 2: It does seem many of the posters are of the male variety.

Again, you're quite right. The problem being is that most men join a message under the false impression of engaging with the community and making a change locally, but in truth are hoping to meet women, or two, for casual sex. This hardly ever becomes a reality so we just make do with poking fun at each other whilst hiding behind our keyboards. Though it can be capital sport on occasion.

I could be completely wrong as some might come to think I am too within time.

No, you'll soon realise you were right all along.

Observation 3: When making a thread is there an option to include a poll as if there was I would like to ask the good people here if you are indeed a male or female?

That depends, are you looking for casual sex? I hear that the administrator takes a dim view of newcomers muscling in on his virtual patch.

We hope to see you around, summerbreeze. By the way, how did you find us?
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

digime2007 wrote:Hello and welcome.

I'm male and try to be grammatically correct but don't take burning pokers to those that fail.

Hope that helps.

Don't Lie,

One of our first ever conversations you highlighted it Quote:It seems that mikecg's grammar isn't as good as the rest of us.:Unqote.

You did back peddle somewhat after I told you I had dyslexia.

Which was also a lie, but I can't be bothered sometimes and I like the pedantry, twisted I know.

I'm really lazy at times as I send email professionally at work so I should be able to be a bit more lackadaisical when I'm at home.
summerbreeze

Post by summerbreeze »

bigbadwolf wrote: That depends, are you looking for casual sex? I hear that the administrator takes a dim view of newcomers muscling in on his virtual patch.

:shock: I wouldn't dare step on admins toes before I even have my slippers on.

As for finding you, I was stumbling about one evening and fell in here by accident, I wasn't even under the infleuance of acholoc, so have no excuses for being here really.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

mike 'I can't spell to save my life, supposedly' cg wrote:You did back peddle somewhat after I told you I had dyslexia.

Which was also a lie, but I can't be bothered sometimes and I like the pedantry, twisted I know.
Ha Ha!!

That's the spirit, Mike. The admission of dishonesty really did make me laugh. You twisted ol' emotional blackmailer, you!

Do keep it up.
CaptainCarCrash

summerbreeze wrote:
bigbadwolf wrote: That depends, are you looking for casual sex? I hear that the administrator takes a dim view of newcomers muscling in on his virtual patch.

As for finding you, I was stumbling about one evening and fell in here by accident, I wasn't even under the influence of acholoc, so have no excuses for being here really.
I wouldn't worry about your grammar and spelling summerbreeze, its the content that counts really and not the presentation. I used to get annoyed with myself and become quite rilled when I would compose a very good post that I felt proud of only to have its impact diminished by pedants.

There are things you can use to help out. ispell is a spell checker that you can download and would remove the problem of poor spelling and I'm convinced most posters have it or some other application installed.

If your grammar is a problem for you then there are spelling and grammar tools that you can buy, I haven't seen a free one, although one could exist.

My grammar has improved because I'm more careful about it than I used to be, mainly because I posted on a site full of media Moguls and journo's who loved highlighting my shortcomings.

As for the demographics of the site, there are some lady's that post here but it does seem to be male dominated.

Don't worry, just get stuck in and take the plunge.

Post away.
summerbreeze

Post by summerbreeze »

mikecg wrote:
summerbreeze wrote:

As for finding you, I was stumbling about one evening and fell in here by accident, I wasn't even under the influence of acholoc, so have no excuses for being here really.
I wouldn't worry about your grammar and spelling summerbreeze, its the content that counts really and not the presentation. I used to get annoyed with myself and become quite rilled when I would compose a very good post that I felt proud of only to have its impact diminished by pedants.

There are things you can use to help out. ispell is a spell checker that you can download and would remove the problem of poor spelling and I'm convinced most posters have it or some other application installed.

If your grammar is a problem for you then there are spelling and grammar tools that you can buy, I haven't seen a free one, although one could exist.

My grammar has improved because I'm more careful about it than I used to be, mainly because I posted on a site full of media Moguls and journo's who loved highlighting my shortcomings.

As for the demographics of the site, there are some lady's that post here but it does seem to be male dominated.

Don't worry, just get stuck in and take the plunge.

Post away.

Thanks Mike
My spelling and grammar too has improved over the years interaction on sites like this too is good practice. I did write my original post in a light hearted fashion, but I do believe people should be able to express themselves within an enviroment like this without ridicule and judgement. I agree as you have expressed content is important.
I have used forums in the past and do also understand that familarity breeds humous ridicule, leg pulling etc and I am fine with that, I just wanted to ease myself in slowly. :D
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Wow, that the fastest time that a thread on this forum has become arse numbingly boring. Remove yourselves from this circle jerk!!!
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

GLOBAL THINKER is one of the men I've described who's never found a woman. Online or otherwise. He's eternally condemned to languish in the company of his own, ever faithful fist.
summerbreeze

Post by summerbreeze »

bigbadwolf wrote:GLOBAL THINKER is one of the men I've described who's never found a woman. Online or otherwise. He's eternally condemned to languish in the company of his own, ever faithful fist.
I am pretty impressed he got to the bottom of the thread to pass comment
CaptainCarCrash

bigbadwolf wrote:GLOBAL THINKER is one of the men I've described who's never found a woman. Online or otherwise. He's eternally condemned to languish in the company of his own, ever faithful fist.
HEHE!

:D
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Summerbreeze. That's terrific. Optimistic. It encourages a smile.

Anyway, welcome. I'm an occasional visitor and poster. I should really get more involved. I'm male, married with two sons and live locally.

I care about good grammar and punctuation but I'm not precious about it as I'm aware that many here may not have English as a first language.

I'm a photographer and filmmaker and have a Sydenham blog that might be of interest, though I've been somewhat neglectful of it recently. See http://sydenhamshots.blogspot.com

Good luck. Stick around.

Paul Treacy
http://paultreacy.com
summerbreeze

Post by summerbreeze »

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the welcome, I am married have 3 children my eldest is at present doing a degree in digital film production.
We have lived in sydenham for 22 years and I believe we should support the community we live in.
I was involved in the Friends of St Barts School for 8 years and was Chair for 4 years, now currently secretary of a local Cricket Club.
Why I joined this site is that I believe that people that live in a community can make a difference within the community they live in various of ways.

I find some people are quick to complain but not as willing to praise. I love living in sydenham and being part of it by putting a little in the rewards are worth it.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

mikecg wrote:
digime2007 wrote:Hello and welcome.

Hope that helps.

Don't Lie,

One of our first ever conversations you highlighted it Quote:It seems that mikecg's grammar isn't as good as the rest of us.:Unqote.
Er, no, looks like your reading ability matches that of your grammar! I actually wrote:

"Look's like Mikes grammar's not a's good a's the rest of u's."

Which, is a joke. I'll explain it to you someday. I guess I should have used one of those stoopid smilie faces but I have an aversion to them.

I've noted my disregard for grammar train spotters on several threads on this very forum.

A poor comic I maybe but a liar I am not.
CaptainCarCrash

:D :) :( :o :shock: :P :x :lol: 8) :? :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :arrow: :idea: :?: :!: :wink: :| :mrgreen:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Now behave children! Or you will be despatched to the penal colony that is EDF.

Admin (putting slippers on ...)
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Code: Select all

oooo$$$$$$$$$$$$oooo
                      oo$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$o
                   oo$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$o         o$   $$ o$
   o $ oo        o$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$o       $$ $$ $$o$
oo $ $ "$      o$$$$$$$$$    $$$$$$$$$$$$$    $$$$$$$$$o       $$$o$$o$
"$$$$$$o$     o$$$$$$$$$      $$$$$$$$$$$      $$$$$$$$$$o    $$$$$$$$
  $$$$$$$    $$$$$$$$$$$      $$$$$$$$$$$      $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$