Some minor observations

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
digime2007

Re: Some minor observations

Post by digime2007 »

summerbreeze wrote:Digime I thought you had an aversion for smiley faces. :lol:

Admin what is the EDF?
Obviously not as great as my aversion to being called a liar!

EDF is the East Dulwich Forum but to get there you have to pass through the Bermuda triangle of SE23.com. Not for the faint hearted.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

digime2007 wrote:

Admin what is the EDF?
Obviously not as great as my aversion to being called a liar!

EDF is the East Dulwich Forum but to get there you have to pass through the Bermuda triangle of SE23.com. Not for the faint hearted.
Hey Digi,

Sorry,

It was tomgue in cheeck, don't take it too seriously.

Sorry you took offence and I apologise.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

No harm done Mike. I understand how things can get confused on forums. Thanks for comming back with that.
maestro

Post by maestro »

admin wrote:Now behave children! Or you will be despatched to the penal colony that is EDF.

Admin (putting slippers on ...)

Admin what is the EDF?

Erectile Dysfunctional Forum?
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Hello all,

New poster to ST, although I regularly post from the top of the hill on the Virtual Norwood Forums - I just thought that I would have a nose around here for a change.

I must admit it seems a bit male dominated here, but I probably notice it more as a female. VN strikes me as probably more 50/50 with the regular posters.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Does it really matter?
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

mikecg wrote:Does it really matter?
Well it doesn't to me - although I find the differences between the two forums interesting. Is it down to the tone set by the mods or by habitual posters . . . I guess we will never know :)

I do like these local forums though, and wish I had discovered them sooner (n the 10 years I lived in the top end of Sydenham and the first few years of living in Crystal Palace).

Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

The title suits what moved me to join :idea:

A forum where Moderation show or describe what they've removed. Could it be bliss?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

A forum where Moderation show or describe what they've removed. Could it be bliss?
Doesn't Admin try to cover this in Town Asylum?

If something deserves to be removed, he can hardly be expected to show it - or am I missing something?
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Quite so, they do indeed. I must have made my point a foggy one, I was meaning 'A forum' as in this very one (having read the OP/thread about removed posts)!

As to whether removed posts are now just described (as opposed to shown) I think he (?) does so and in doing so he owns what he's done (as opposed to just deleting and misrepresenting as happens in so many places that do stuff covertly.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

99% of what is removed is spam and is shown in Town Asylum. We very, very rarely have to edit or delete a genuine posts 'cos we are all very civilised in SE26. Well apart from ...

Any edit/removal is noted in the thread (with explanation if appropriate). I always assume that someone will have seen the post before us and would be bemused if it disappeared/changed without comment. The issue is nearly always personal abuse. We really shouldn't have any but being completely cissyish about it creates difficulties too. We make mistakes, we under or over react and sometimes need your forgiveness too. However, you know what we have done and discussion of any unhappiness about moderation is welcome in the Asylum or privately by PM.

Except if you look in TA you won't see much discussion cos you are all so good. Well almost ...

Admin
Duke of Clarence

Post by Duke of Clarence »

Voyageur wrote:Hello all,

New poster to ST, although I regularly post from the top of the hill on the Virtual Norwood Forums - I just thought that I would have a nose around here for a change.

I must admit it seems a bit male dominated here, but I probably notice it more as a female. VN strikes me as probably more 50/50 with the regular posters.

Hi Voyageur,

You may find that there are more females on this site than you thought. For example who'd have thought the Duke of Clarence was really a lady?? But it's true! I reckon a few of those male user names have female hands and brains behind them.....mikecg is probably michellecg and Big Bad Woolf is obviously Virginia....

Still great thread for gender outing :D
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

How right you are Duke!

I recently had a burning cross waved at me in an.other forum :roll: while being accused of being 'wolf'. IF the misled finger pointers meant the 'wolf' here I think she :wink: has a much better SoH than I have (although I was 'accused' of having the same 'tone').
Duke of Clarence

Post by Duke of Clarence »

Thank you Hill Dweller (I trust that's really Hilda?), you can call me Duchess if you like :roll:
Being "accused" of impersonating a BBW is a compliment IMO. I know Virginia's not for the faint hearted and that she can be a bit harsh *lowers voice* (depending on what time of month it is) but I am a big fan of her work. Sadly she proved too much for the "other" forum bouncing; all over the comfort zones, paying scant regard for rules and regulations and refusing to keep off the grass...Boom :P Boom :D
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Ooooh Hilda as an ID!
I can't think what made me choose HD ... unless I was just resisting using Cave Dweller while looking around my long-overdue shell of a home :?

Having used it in that other local place I thought it polite to use it here too although it's long-deaded there :|

All sorts of etiquettes are being formed in cyber eh?

PS: and as you say, those ingenues thinking any old bod disagreeing with them must be the bod they're obsessed by ......
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Duke of Clarence wrote: Hi Voyageur,

You may find that there are more females on this site than you thought. For example who'd have thought the Duke of Clarence was really a lady?? But it's true! I reckon a few of those male user names have female hands and brains behind them.....mikecg is probably michellecg and Big Bad Woolf is obviously Virginia....

Still great thread for gender outing :D
Ah - so true. To assume is to make an ass and all that...

I was generally assumed to be of the male variety on Virtual Norwood forum - that is until people met me and found out otherwise. Maybe I post like a chap :wink:
Last edited by Voyageur on 6 Jan 2011 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Zoot Alors! Vous est une voyageuse.

Shriek :idea:
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Duke of Clarence wrote:Being "accused" of impersonating a BBW is a compliment IMO.

Others would strongly beg to differ.

Hill Dweller wrote:I recently had a burning cross waved at me in an.other forum while being accused of being 'wolf'. IF the misled finger pointers meant the 'wolf' here I think she has a much better SoH than I have (although I was 'accused' of having the same 'tone').

Implying that an outspoken newcomer to the East Dulwich Forum is the 'bigbadwolf' is the EDF's clique of regulars and toady moderators' stock method of banishing someone who isn't toeing the ultra-liberal line. I'm reliably informed that several would-be contributers have been 'disposed' of in this manner. To be fair, the guy that runs it gave me more than my fair share of warning before he had enough and banned me for good, and you'll find some very funny people on there, but the problem lies in that it's focused on an area where some very precious people live who enjoy being offended. If they see something they don't like, they complain until what and who they don't like are banned. Below you will find an example of the kind of people you're likely to come across on the EDF.

Hector has returned home from his job as a human rights campaigner, only to be greeted by a distraught Jemima.

Hector: 'Darling, whatever's the matter?'

Jemima: 'Oh, darling, I'm sooooo offended!!'

H: 'What happened?'

J: 'I was browsing the EDF looking for a vintage pedal bin and I stumbled on some working-class people swapping jokes about the Irish. They were writing the most ghastly things. I haven't stopped crying since the police I alerted left. I'm soooo upset!'

H: 'Budge over and let me have a look. Two Irish couples decide to spice up their sex lives by swapping partners. Afterwards, Paddy says, "That was focking great! I wonder how the girls got on." Good God, what sub-human scum writes this kind of thing? It's irredeemably offensive!'

J: 'Are you offended, too, darling?'

H; 'I most certainly am. Infact, I'm going to write to our MP over this?'

J: 'Oh, darling, I do so love it when we're offended as a couple. It's so romantic.'

Anyway...

There's no use in speculating whether I'm male or female; as we're unlikely to ever meet in the flesh/fur. No, just consider me as the itch you can't reach.

But I can confirm the gender of mikecg. I met him in a pub, he's male, although he was nursing a Port 'n' Lemon, so who knows what kind of underwear he had on underneath.

Oh, and Duke of Clarence, you're almost certainly a member of the EDF, but I haven't quite figured-out who you are on there, yet.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

bigbadwolf wrote:
Duke of Clarence wrote:Being "accused" of impersonating a BBW is a compliment IMO.
.......There's no use in speculating whether I'm male or female; as we're unlikely to ever meet in the flesh/fur. No, just consider me as the itch you can't reach.
No worries - I have worked your gender out :D

In various forums a BBW is shorthand for a Big Beautiful Woman - so I have you sussed you voluptuous vixen!

And a BBW impersonator? in all probability a cross dressing well padded chap or a skinny lizzy with a pillow stuffed down her shell suit.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Yes, V & BBW, I should have made it clearer that in using the word 'accused' I did understand that the 'accusation' wasn't actually one that offended me.

It was obviously at / against BBW (who was in fact the one being accused of posing as me/HD, presumably to get round a ban ..... ). I pointed out there that such demonstrable obsession can only look daft :P but it's all too common in cyber.