Any gay bars in Syd/FH?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Gaz

Any gay bars in Syd/FH?

Post by Gaz »

As it's a bit of a pain getting up west when you fancy a quickie (pint that is! :wink:) and would also like a chance of pulling whilst in a pub/bar, I wondered whether there was anywhere more local that is gay-friendly?

All that I could find by Googling was the Two8Six in Lewisham and what looks like a new monthly thing in HOP?

Ta,

Gaz
simon

Re: Any gay bars in Syd/FH?

Post by simon »

Hey Gaz,
I don't think there are any gay bars in Syders but there is the Domali cafe in Crystal Palace that's friendly.
I saw two guys kissing in the Dolphin in the summer and nobody appeared to take offence.
There was a gay team competing in the last Sydenham Community Radio quiz, they did quite well. There's another SCR quiz on Wednesday night at the Golden Lion, by the way.
I'm meeting my gay friend this week and I'll ask him, but I know he drinks all over Sydenham, the tart!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Thanks for your reply Simon, I might have guessed that the Dolphin would be a likely friendly venue! Although I look forward to hearing of some more suggestions from your mate.

However, I do like the Golden Lion (and quizzes too!); though, the idea of an all-gay team doesn't sound very inclusive..!

So... anyone reading this who wants an extra member on their team for this Weds? I'm really good, honest! :D
mosy

Post by mosy »

There used to be a club on Rushey Green, Catford (the Catford Road end) about 20 years ago. If there was one there 20 years ago there's a fair chance there'll be one today in either Catford or Lewisham. Dunno if they did quiz nights though. I'm afraid I don't know anyone; at the time it was pretty much written on the door which I doubt happens these days. Sorry not much help.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Hopefully most Pubs in SE 26 are friendly for all people. However regret some of them are unfriendly to aa but their regulars.
sophie

Post by sophie »

There used to be one in Crystal Palace but now an estate agent's!!! The tapas bar up in Crystal Palace flies a rainbow flag so I am assuming they are friendly! There's at least 1 in Lewisham I think and then in Greenwich as well. Perhaps that could be a new business venture for the Sydenham area ...
NorthernIrelandSydenham

Post by NorthernIrelandSydenham »

Couple of things I don’t understand Gaz, and it reminds me of a chat I had to a gay lad one time not-so-long-ago. Why do they have to be Gay friendly, do you walk through the doors and announce it? Now I realise there might be a perfectly reasonable explanation for this, you might be a cross dressing homosexual whom stands out and therefore wishes to feel comfortable within his/her surroundings. Or you might dress up as one of the village people on tour and again, if it’s not a fancy dress evening, you’re going to look like a beetroot in a pickle jar.

So maybe it’s not about wanting to feel comfortable, maybe it’s just all about the sex? My girlfriend went to a performing art university; therefore I’ve met quite a few homosexuals. And really, it seemed for them to be all about the sex. It got to be a bit of running joke as at one stage it was always about going out on the pull, they were never happy just going out with friends for a ‘pint’ and enjoying the craic, they just always seemed to want something at the end of the night and something different every night!

Now I fully understand that young people get dressed up and go out on the pull weekend after weekend in this and other countries. Young people who are heterosexual, bisexual, a-sexual and homosexual. (the A-Sexuals just pull you for a good conversation over cold pizza) But when you turn to the older generation, you seem to find that the ‘always about the sex’ statement stands and never fades.

It’s like gay parades. It’s always about the sex; they dress up in little or nothing, sometimes with big dildos hanging from their costumes and throw sweet/candy cocks into the crowd. I asked a guy once why he was taking part in the gay parade and he told me it was his way of spreading the word that being gay was not wrong (as some would still see it today) and that ‘we were not different’ or something ‘to be feared’ – Not different? I’m sorry but if you compare the lord mayor’s show and the gay parade and then proclaim the point is to raise awareness that you’re not different, as some people would see you so, then you might want to rethink the style of floats, décor and pretty much every damn thing about the whole procession. Because it’s all centred on the sexual. – I said.

Oh yes (he said) it is about the sex, because that’s why we’re different, because our sexual preference is not that of straight people.

So you are different? (I said)

Yes (he said) but people should not fear the difference!

You’re standing on a float with little on, I can clearly see your meat and two veg through your borat thong style costume. Every time someone looks at the camera they make a linking motion with their tongue and you’re firing candy covered penises at me. It’s hardly a day out the whole family could enjoy. (I said)

Yes (he said) I see what you mean.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Strewth. Who let Rev Paisley on the site?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Why were you at a gay parade?
NorthernIrelandSydenham

Thomas wrote:Why were you at a gay parade?
Cameraman.
NorthernIrelandSydenham

jeff wrote:Strewth. Who let Rev Paisley on the site?
I wouldn’t even title the old hypocrite with the term ‘Rev’ – but good on you. :wink:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am not sure that Ulster Sydenham was being anti Gay.

All he was saying ( in the first part of his post anyway ) was surely all Pubs should be friendly to all humans .
I go to a Pub to have good conversation and real ale. Surely there are many gay people who would want to do the same.
Why would they require a special establishment for this .

I do agree that many of the Pubs in SE26 are not people friendly full stop.
MATILDA

Post by MATILDA »

not sure the Golden lion is best venue for a gay night but what about the Greyhound development site ( won't mention dogging as not quite picturesque picnic spot ) anyway a Gay quiz in SE26 would be cool ! anyone wanting to compose a list of quiz questions, all politically correct of course ! omg ( yeh just been taught text lingo by my 6 yr old ) this could be soooo much fun !
NorthernIrelandSydenham

Eagle wrote:I am not sure that Ulster Sydenham was being anti Gay.

All he was saying ( in the first part of his post anyway ) was surely all Pubs should be friendly to all humans .
I go to a Pub to have good conversation and real ale. Surely there are many gay people who would want to do the same.
Why would they require a special establishment for this .

I do agree that many of the Pubs in SE26 are not people friendly full stop.
Well that’s it in a nut shell.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some gay people I’ve met tell me that every day is a battle to be accepted as the same as everyone else. Then they create a special set of circumstances that makes them stand out from everyone else. – That’s hard to understand.

Being gay is about ones sexual preference, not about what to have for dinner or where to drink. I don’t for the life of me know why some gay people bring their bedroom lifestyle into everyday life and then wonder why people look at them a bit funny.

I’ve nothing against gay people, man woman or in-between. But one really does get the overriding impression, when reading posts like this, that the only reason some go for a pint is the hope it will end in the bedroom/hedge.

Gay friendly bars in Sydenham? aye, some of them even have wheelchair access for people with real needs.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

I think that instead of reading Norn Iron Sydenham's post properly, some people have decided to side with the PC brigade because the tone of his post appears a bit inflammatory. To a certain extent it has been designed to cause a bit of friction, but if you take take the time to read it carefully, and not and not jump on the safe, PC bandwagon, you'll see that he's actually made a few rather valid points.

His post isn't saying that gay people shouldn't be made welcome in Sydenham, but why everyone else should have to go out of their way to accomodate all the associated pantomime that a lot of homosexuals like to ram down our throats, so to speak. Basically, he's saying there's nothing wrong with being wrong, but if you are gay and like to camp it up, don't play the victim if someone refuses to play along or pulls you up on what can be quite anti-social and 'in your face'. And to echo another deliberately ignored, but valid opinion - I haven't got a problem with queers, but I don't want to hear about what goes on (and up) behind closed doors. I mean, if I came round for dinner and started explaining in great detail what me and the missus get up to in bed i.e - 'yeah, I like to blow my custard all over her face', would you be as tolerant with me as you're socially inclined to be with a gay man and his partner? I think not.

OK, lecture over.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

This thread seems to have become somewhat hijacked (and even seedy) with concerns that gay men want to force their sexuality down everyone else's throat, mince around or only want to go out to find casual sex..?!

Now, in my original post I said about pulling in a lighthearted way and perhaps that gave the wrong impression.

Basically, whenever I go out to pubs with my mates, we'd sit around, have a chat, drink ales or lagers, shoot some pool, play on the quizzies, watch the football and so on. Being mostly young(ish!) guys (and girls), we'd also talk about the opposite sex*: the pretty barmaid, the fit girl with her friends at the other table, the yummy mummy in the corner etc! During these conversations we can all egg eachother on and if a friend particularly likes the look of one of the girls he may go up, offer to buy a drink and have a chat or we can manoeuvre so our respective groups meet. My problem is that I can talk to my mates and support them should they want to try and pull a girl, but because we are almost always in a 'straight' pub, if I like the look of a guy there's almost no way that I could 'make a move' (perhaps I should take to adopting some of the stereotypes discussed above so that I do stand out..!? :roll: ).

So I am perfectly happy being in almost any pub (and I'm not espousing that there should be exclusive pubs for anyone), but my question was simply were there any pubs in the area that I could go to and actually have a fighting chance of catching someone's eye without running the risk of offending/embarrassing him as he's straight - and if I did meet someone, which pubs would we feel safe going in together as a 'couple' (note, I'm not talking about snogging at the bar (as it can be pretty distasteful when straighties are down eachothers' throats in public!)).

*I'm basically well outnumbered at this point as all my mates are straight!
biffa

Post by biffa »

yeah, I like to blow my custard all over her face'

hahaha just spilt my tea reading that ....