Local groups for lively 8 month old

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
fatbob & lordclaire

Local groups for lively 8 month old

Post by fatbob & lordclaire »

Hi
Can anyone recommend an excellent free local playgroup? Is anyone attending a Sure Start centre? I'm happy to try Herne Hill, East Dulwich etc.
Thanks
Claire

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
claireclaire

Re: Local groups for lively 8 month old

Post by claireclaire »

Hi, there are lots of activities in the area.

Try Kelvin Grove children's centre - I think they have messy play on a Thursday morning, and there's toy library on a Friday (?) morning, and various other activities. Also Eliot Bank children's centre just up the road from there.

Kelvin Grove Children's Centre Tel: 020 8613 0172

Eliot Bank Children's Centre Tel: 020 8699 7930

Forest Hill library has stories and singing on a weekday morning as well - Tues or Thurs I think?
foresthilllibrary@lewisham.gov.uk
Telephone 020 8314 7653

Dulwich library has a very popular singing session on a Wednesday morning, and they have a stay and play session on a Tuesday morning.

Also, try www.eastdulwichforum.com for lots of other ideas

Good luck
Claire
fatbob & lordclaire

Post by fatbob & lordclaire »

Cheers Claire that's brilliant!
Claire

natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

There's also a SureStart centre in Crystal Palace, at the Barnados place just behind the Sainsburys. I'm not sure what groups they run but I know they do several - I used to go to parent & baby yoga there when my litte boy was younger but am now back at work.
randomv

Post by randomv »

Watch out at the Heshima (Crystal Palace sure start) as I've been refused entry there for not being a resident of Croydon Borough. They do have some open sessions so you can look it up, otherwise be prepared to lie! The Bromley SureStart centres are pretty good too - one in the Groves in Penge and the other next to Royston Primary school - although something tells me they will all be starting to crack down on who attends in the near future.

natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Also it's not free, but I can recommend the baby swim classes at the Bridge. They're about £3.30 a class so it's cheap compared to a lot of activities that you have to pay for, and they're a really fun way to introduce your little one to the water. My little boy loved it when we went :)
KM

Post by KM »

Here's a link to the Surestart activities in our local area;
http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres ... pt2010.pdf

At this age they love singing and music!

You could also try soft play although this is much better for when your 8 month baby is a toddler - Rascals or Beckenham Spa. They have ball pits so ideal for little ones especially when the big ones are at school. £4.70 a session although.

There is a free Babygym session on Fridays in Bellingham that looks interesting although never been...
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

There's singing nursery rhymes and poetry at Sydenham Library on TUESDAY mornings (not sure what times, think it's 10-12noon). The Librarian Raff plays the guitar and sings. I've seen lots of mums and dads with their little ones toddle out all smiling afterwards. worth trying it out while the library is still around :(
Susie1791

Post by Susie1791 »

The Sydenham library session is at 10:15 for 45
mins on a Tuesday, it's music and a story and it's great fun and all the little ones love it and the parents :-)