Leisure centre/gym reviews wanted please

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
BigBlackBird

Leisure centre/gym reviews wanted please

Post by BigBlackBird »

Hi all,

I've recently moved to Sydenham and I'm looking for a gym to join in the new year (one that isn't too intimidating as I have a lot to lose).

To begin with, i'd just be attending classes rather than attending the fitness suite.

Does anyone attend the slimming world class at the tennis club? Friendly?

Lastly, anyone looking for a gym/slimming buddy?

Many thanks,

C

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
stuart

Re: Leisure centre/gym reviews wanted please

Post by stuart »

You have several choices:

LA Fitness Kirkdale: I go there because it is so convenient (I have a problem with driving to a gym). It has a pool besides the normal training machines and lots of classes. It has had a refurbishment and is OK for men. My partner does complain about the ladies changing facilities. Get a tour/1st free visit. Haggle for introductory concession or get an existimg member to sign you as a buddy.
http://www.lafitness.co.uk/gym/london-sydenham/

National Sports Centre, Crystal Palace Park: VG value and recommended by Jules - do a search for her view.
http://www.gll.org/centre/crystal-palac ... centre.asp

Bridge Leisure Centre, Kangley Bridge Road nr Sainsburys: Operated on behalf of Lewisham Council. Previously the BP corporate sports centre. Good if you qualify for concessions and/or live in Lower Sydenham.
http://www.leisurecentre.com/centres/10 ... entre.aspx

Gymphobics, Station Approach: Only if you are female.
http://www.gymophobics.co.uk/sydenham/index.php

If you think you can jog (I don't mean run) then try out Crystal Palace Fun Runners on a Monday night. They have a beginners group, mostly female, which starts from scratch. First few visits free without obligation and then £10/year. Best value of all and arguably the most effective way to lose weight, become fit and enjoy the social side (pub night every month!). No bias here of course!
http://crystalpalacefunrunners.co.uk/

Stuart
BigBlackBird

Post by BigBlackBird »

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for such a detailed reply, i am going to check out all the links and look for the review by Jules.

I don't think i'll be jogging material for a good few months but that's definitely something to aim for, the running club sounds fun!

Many thanks again,

C
jackie

Post by jackie »

You don't say whether you're male or female but Sydenham has a very good Ladies Only gym called 'Gymophobics' opposite Sydenham Station. A lot of women join specifically to lose weight as they check your weight and measurements as well as blood pressure as often as you like. So you can build it into a weight losing programme. You do a 30 minute work-out but of course you can go round twice if you like. It's very friendly too!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Jackie - I stand to be corrected but I think people are going to be disappointed if they think 30 mins (or an hour) in the Gym will automatically produce a significant weight loss.

Weight change is basically the difference betwen calorific input and output. Average output is around 2,000 a day for a woman and 2,500 for a man. 3,500 calories is the equivelent of a pound of flesh. So if you are currently in balance (and overweight people seldom are) it takes an extra 500 calories of exercise a DAY to LOSE 1lb a week. A fit club runner going flat out on a treadmill for 30 minutes would just do it at about 7 minute mile rate.

Somebody not yet fit would do a small fraction of that and hence consequential disappointment. Not that I am disparaging gyms. Quite the opposite. They can help in two important ways - first is to get you fit enough to exercise, and keep you active when the weather is inclement - like now. But the best three calorie losing exercises are running, cycling and swimming. It takes at least an hour to really make an effect and that is a big investment in time and many people find the best way is to combine it with the social atmosphere and reward of a club atmosphere.

A criticial problem is these clubs are full of fairly fit, fairly slim folks which can be offputting to people starting the journey. A number of clubs realise this and have special programmes to help get people up to speed. So starting at a gym in the cold of the winter with a target of getting out in the spring and joining one of these programmes is a great idea.

Another consideration is what your first target is - to get fit or lose weight?

Targetting weight may involve you in dieting which may not provide sufficient energy to exercise sufficiently and comfortably. Also muscle is heavier than fat so getting fit will reduce your size but paradoxically can increase your weight at first. I would suggest aim to be fitter first and then you can use your fitness to lose the weight. In fact it will probably happen naturally.

The final advice is if you are overweight or over 50 you should get your GP to check your blood pressure and general health so you can guage how quickly you should ramp up the exercise. Doing too much too soon can be counterproductive.

Good Luck!
Stuart
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
BigBlackBird

Post by BigBlackBird »

Jackie- i am indeed female and in my i will definitely find out about having a look around Gymophobics. I would only be interested in the fitness side as i will be attending slimming world (which works well for me when i stick to it).

Stuart - I agree with your comments. For me, getting fitter first is important, as i'd feel more confident trying new activities. I definitely need to join a GP surgery aswell and go for a health check.

Mummycat - Thanks for the review of Gymophobics. Your experience of it sounds really good.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Hello BBB, Good for you for wanting to get fitter and healthier. Can I just add something that may encourage you further regarding gym membership? I joined Gymphobics a couple of years ago - it was the first gym I ever joined; in my late forties! I was the most unlikely candidate and was not actually very optimistic about my staying power. Anyway I enjoyed it a lot, it is very friendly and encouraging and a great place to start. I realised after a while that I wanted a more challenging workout and felt ready to join a more 'sophisticated' (for want of a better word) place so I took the courage and confidence that Gymphobics gave me and joined Energie in Forest HIll... a wonderfull place, again very friendly and great facilities.... After a year (for reasons of convenience - its nearer to home) I joined LA Fitness where I am a member now. The thing that struck me most of all - apart from my enjoyment of excersize... is that I soon realised that no one at any of the gyms I've been to - cares one jot what I look like. Being a woman of a certain age does make one invisible in many ways (and in this repect I am gratefull)... there are many young fit men and women at LA Fitness and they are SO NOT interested in what anyone else looks like; they are far too interested in what they themselves look like to notice anyone else ! (Some of the young fit guys chat up the young fit women but that's to be expected and nowt wrong with that). And there are many women of all ages and sizes there too. Get Started, you may surprise yourself. Good luck xx