Missing a nice bakery?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Labanised

Missing a nice bakery?

Post by Labanised »

Hi there all,
Does Sydenham have a nice (or indeed, any) bakery around the Kirkdale/ Dartmouth Road areas?
Am I missing the blindingly obvious?

The last stick of French bread I bought from Tesco was used as a Lightsabre, then a lunchtime snack and the rest donated as bird-feed.
Voyageur

Re: Missing a nice bakery?

Post by Voyageur »

Crystal Palace has a lovely one that arrived a couple of years ago called the Blackbird Bakery' on Westow St - not totally convenient for you I know but only a bus ride away. It does wonderful breads, pastries, cakes and coffees (it has a small seating area) and there is another one in Herne Hill of the same name.

Might be worth seeing if they have any plans to branch out into your area?
stuart

Post by stuart »

I agree about Tesco bread. It must be hard to bake it that bad.

I have to admit my favourite bread in Sydenham are the Co-op baguettes @79p much better than Sainsburys. There is the Cake Shop opposite the Co-op which is good for fancy breads. I know they are the wrong end of Sydenham Road for you but it is worth it. I toddle down on my pushbike most days so it is a quick trip.

Stuart
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

There is the Cake Shop opposite the Co-op which is good for fancy breads.
But not just fancy breads! Their farmhouse is just as good as the maybe fancy 'Low GI'
maestro

Post by maestro »

Last Christmas someone gave me £50 of Debenham's gift vouchers. I wasn't sure what to go and spend them on but I'd always fancied having a breadmaker. I did my research online and it appeared from the reviews I read that although quite expensive at £100, the Panasonic model SD255 was undoubtedly the best breadmaker one could buy. So I put another £50 to the vouchers and bought one at Debenham's. It is utterly fantastic and I've never bought a loaf of bread since. I'd never even attempted to bake bread before, but from the very first loaf I made every one has been perfection, and you can set the timer so that you can wake up in the morning to a fresh loaf waiting for you, with the accompanying aroma. Simple to use and easy to clean, there's even an automatic dispenser so you can add seeds/nuts to the top during the process. It also churns out fabulous pizza bases, you just can't beat making your own pizzas exactly how you like them. I've not tried making French bread yet, but I have tried Ciabatta loaves with good results.

I said "quite expensive at £100", but if you're buying three of four decent loaves from the supermarket or baker's each week, then I reckon it'll pay for itself in less than a year. It's one of the best buys I've ever made.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews150814.html

Edit:- Sorry, I should have said "Christmas before last" (i.e. 2009) so I've had it for a year now (I doubt if it'll ever end up in a cupboard with a collection of other kitchen gadgets I've wasted my money on!)
Last edited by maestro on 6 Jan 2011 11:12, edited 2 times in total.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'm with Maestro. I've had a Panasonic breadmaker for about ten years and use it about three times a week. It's still going strong and every loaf perfect. It makes wonderful French bread in a loaf shape or you can just make the dough in the machine then shape by hand, prove and bake in the oven. Best of all, I know exactly what goes into my bread.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

I am liking the idea of a breadmaker (a lot) but, probably won't invest in one just yet. I've made a note of the model number so will keep my gadget radar primed.
I don't mind a trek within reason and Westow Street is a doddle. I've just had a gander online and seen some good reviews about BB so it will be checked out sooner rather than later. I'll also tootle down to Co-Op and try their baguettes but, I don't have a very sweet tooth so, tend to leave cakes alone.
Thanks for the info, all. I'd love a bakery at the end of my road but, stumbling across or hearing of a hidden gem or two in SE26 or nearby is another thing I like about living here.
jackieboo

Post by jackieboo »

Slatters used to be wonderful!!! I used to work in Machins Bakers in the 70's down by KH Road, he baked on the premises and started at about 3 in the morning, there were queues up the high street every Saturday as well as the queues for Leslies the Butcher next door who has an auction on Sat afternoons..anyone remember? Long gone, shame. That was in the days before traffic lights at the end of KH Road and traffic cameras,double yellows,CCTV,parking permits & wardens. Anyone remember Wises' Fish & Chips there too, they were the only shop open during 3 day week power cuts as they were deemed necessary food providers as there weren't really and fast food shops then.
LivesNearby

Post by LivesNearby »

If you care to toddle along Dartmouth Road to Forest Hill, The Teapot (on London Road) does great artisan breads