LPG Filling stations

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
pip

LPG Filling stations

Post by pip »

Hi, I am considering converting my old jalopy over to dual fuel and wondered if anyone can tell me the nearest lpg filling station in or around Sydenham.

Thanks Pip
bigbadwolf

Re: LPG Filling stations

Post by bigbadwolf »

212-214 Kennington Rd, London SE11 6PR Tel: 020 7735 2191.
maestro

Post by maestro »

I would give this some very serious thought, because I honestly don't think LPG is worth bothering with any more. I'm registered on this site to search for the cheapest available fuel......

http://www.petrolprices.com/

A lot of garages have already ceased retailing LPG as it has recently declined in popularity, the site does list Shell at Forest Hill as currently selling it at 74.9p. You'll need to budget around a couple of thousand pounds to have a professional conversion done, and many older vehicles don't run well once converted, with constant misfire and starting problems. I've heard numerous reports of LPG converters keen to take your money to do the initial job, but not so keen to sort out all your numerous running problems afterwards, Whilst 74.9p may look attractive compared to 124.9 for unleaded, you also need to factor in that it will do about 25% less miles to each gallon. So work out how many miles you'll do and therefore how long it will take to recover your outlay. Also, you can't take them through the Euro tunnel as they're banned.The final nail in the coffin for LPG is that from 24th December last year, they are no longer congestion charge exempt. The dual fuel exemption discount was scrapped, and it's now only cars (unless it's a taxi or nine seater vehicle) which emit 100g per km CO2 or less which are congestion charge exempt. So I don't think you'll find anywhere to buy LPG in a couple of years time, and it'll possibly therefore make your vehicle difficult to sell, so worth less.

I'd stick as you are, or spend your money on a normal petrol/diesel vehicle that will give you better economy. For the sake of saving 50p a litre, the expense and hassle of converting now just isn't going to be worth it.
pip

Post by pip »

Thanks both for the replies. I think I will probably spend the 2 grand on a small deisel runaround and use the old classic which I have no intention of getting rid of for H+H.