ANY MEMORIES OF THE OAK HOUSE DRAMATISTS?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
ali

ANY MEMORIES OF THE OAK HOUSE DRAMATISTS?

Post by ali »

Does anybody who lived in Sydenham in the 1940s/50s have any knowledge of an Amateur Dramatic Society called the OAK HOUSE DRAMATISTS? I know that they performed many plays in and around the surrounding area. My mother and uncle were part of this group and would be very interested if anyone out there has any memories of them.
To add some detail to above, some remembered names of group: Roger Mayhew, whose house was called Oak House, a large victorian house in Mount Gardens (off Kirkdale) where some rehearsals took place. Clement/Clemence Pulley a dentist and his wife Shirley. Gale Webb, Eddie Ellis. They performed at numerous places, i.e. All Saints Church Hall in Trewsbury Road, Anerley Town Hall etc.
Last edited by ali on 12 Mar 2011 20:24, edited 6 times in total.
Hill Dweller

Re: ANY MEMORIES OF THE OAK HOUSE DRAMATISTS?

Post by Hill Dweller »

I'm sure there's a club Ali, for older people to exchange memories (over tea and biscuits kind of thing). The town hall might be able to help with contact details, open times etc.

There's definitely an ex-shop front in Blackheath announcing itself as one, across the road from the train station.

ali

Post by ali »

Thankyou for your interest. You probably mean the age exchange in Blackheath. My mother has been there in previous years to help out on a project. Not really after looking for clubs as she cant do that, was just really hoping any reader of the Sydenham Forum may just recall anything concerning the Oak House Dramatists
Phil Whitfield

Post by Phil Whitfield »

I have lived in Oak House with my family for the past 15 years. One of the earlier inhabitants of Mount Gardens who arrived here in 1950 wrote an informal history of the road which all those living here possess. I quote from that history ...

"In 1950 Oak House is still a fief held of the manor (rented by Miss Rappart who lived next door at The Orchard) and is rented from her by two families. Upstairs, although there is no closing off into any sort of self-contained status, are the Mayhews and their two chidren downstairs the Hills with their three (four by about 1954). The former (Mayhew) was some kind of accountant, working for a firm of printers, the latter a local governmenrt officer"

That seems to be all that is said about the Mayhews. Nothing about the Dramatists.

Incidentally, the novelist and playwright Clemence Dane lived for a period in Mount Gardens, next door in "The Cottage"

Sorry not to be any more help!

Phil
ali

Post by ali »

How interesting, actually Roger Mayhew was one of the oak house dramatists with my mother so Im sure she will be interested in that. Thanks for contribution.
SYLVIAN

Post by SYLVIAN »

Hello there. I have just seen your OLD post and realise that you may no longer be interested in this subject. However I have a copy of a 'Souvenir Programme' for 'The Oak House Dramatists', which cost '6d'. It is not dated but the play was 'To-Night at 8-30' by 'Noel Coward' and it was directed by 'Gale Webb'. The most interesting thing that might interest you is that it has lots of autographs of the players e.g. Douglas Hoare, Maureen Easton etc. I do not know your parents name and so I do not know if they signed it. Let me know if it interests you at all. SYLVIAN
ali

Post by ali »

Do you believe in fate? Was on one of my 'late night sessions' online and havent been on sydenham forum for years now but just decided to have a look and found your post!
I am absolutely still interested in the souvenir programme you have.
My uncle is Gale Webb and is in his 90s now. My mum used to be one of the players and is Gale's sister in law but not sure if she was in this play, but the other players she knew well.
Would there be any chance at all that you may be able to scan or photocopy the programme and either email of send me a copy of which I will gladly re-imburse you for your time and expense.
Its so exciting to think that something so old and of particular family interest still exists somewhere. May I ask how you even came about having this programme, that is even more interesting.
Many thanks
Alison