Where / how to make friends in Sydenham?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
ksyd

Where / how to make friends in Sydenham?

Post by ksyd »

How & where is a good place to make new friends in Sydenham?
Tim Lund

Re: Where / how to make friends in Sydenham?

Post by Tim Lund »

That's a bit of an open question, ksyd. What sort of friends are you looking for? I was thinking of answering you facetiously by saying you've come to the wrong place - this is where you make enemies, but that's not actually true, or at least it doesn't have to be; via this Forum you can get to know people, and if you think it might be worth meeting up, you can pm people. Of course some of the regulars like to maintain their anonymity, which is their right.

Thinking back to when I moved here, I first made local friends via joining an allotment association, and a music group, but there's no particular reason for thinking these are your sort of thing. But, whatever your thing might be, it's worth looking for a club or group ... if that isn't too obvious. This Forum will probably help you find it - and if it's books or football you like, you probably need go no further.
ksyd

Post by ksyd »

Thanks for the reply.
I will keep a lookout for a group or club of interest.
Its a bit embarrassing really, asking where to make friends , i think there is a bit of a stigma about admitting that one does not have many friends!
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

The library on Dartmouth Rd has a good range of papers ksyd, including local ones that might have ads from local clubs etc.

Forums can be quite entertaining in themselves and good for local knowledge re what's on (and real) etc, you might have found the SE23, Sydenham Society and other locals? Best to have wifi though, so you don't have to spend too much time indoors reading them in the upcoming (looks like) sunny weeks :)
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

After posting on here for a while about various sorts of things, I began to find that I shared interests with, was posting in the same threads as, and found the same group of people funny.

Thus it was that I stuck my neck out and turned up at one of the STF's socials in a local drinkerie.

The rest, as they say, is history.

What sort of hobbies and interests do you have, ksyd?
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

I'm with Checkmate in that I've found this forum a great way to get a 'snapshot' of life in SE26.
I don't get much time to post but, have found people to be very friendly on here and this seems indicative of the people I've met around SE26.

ksyd, perhaps you may fancy indulging yourself in one of the pubs around the area?
The Woodman always seemed to have friendly staff and lively patrons (before closing down). Many a time I've been surprised at walking in alone for whatever reason and easily striking up conversations and having a laugh with fellow locals. I don't know what bit of Sydenham you're in but, I'm sure making friends won't be a hassle at all.

Bit of advice though.... be careful on the zebra crossings; stopping for pedestrians appears to be optional for some drivers!
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

why not create a new thread here about something you're interested in - maybe others will reply to form a group, or inform you of a local group already set up.
for instance, there's Sydenham Tennis club - if you play tennis, there are pubs if you like drinking, there's the Sydenham International Music Festival, and Sydenham Arts Festival, there are allotments, and parks, and if your hobby is moaning about pound shops and estate agents, well you can do that here too.