Archery groups/clubs/lessons

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
wind_luver

Archery groups/clubs/lessons

Post by wind_luver »

Afternoon all,

I've had a look around the forum, but haven't seen much reference to this before. If there was a post previously, then sorry!

I'm looking for an archery group to join, I have no experience and none of my equpiment, also not a huge amount of money :lol: . After a somewhat fruitless few hours of searching, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

I''ve found the group on Whitefoot lane, but it doesn't seem to have much useful info. >.< Doesn't tell me what the costs are, and whether I need classes to join, or whether I can borrow equipment. So, basically.... does anyone have any further information?

Thanks!
bigbadwolf

Re: Archery groups/clubs/lessons

Post by bigbadwolf »

I've been doing archery for about fifteen years now, and I'll echo what any other archer will tell you. Archery can be as expensive as you want it to be, within reason, of course. I currently shoot a replica of a Roman legionary bow and make my own arrows, which is nowhere near as hard as it sounds.

There are several disciplines of archery to choose from. There's the well know target archery, where the archery shoots at a butt set at a determined range, or there's the lesser known field archery where you shoot at targets in the woods that are set at varying distances. I prefer and shoot in the latter discipline, though you tend to lose more arrows in field archery.

In terms of cost. If you're serious and want to buy your own kit that's not going to fall apart after five minutes, you're going to have to spend around £100. That will buy you a kit that usually includes a bow, six carbon-steel arrows etc... A good kit will last you for a long time - 10 to 15 years if you look after it. Club membership varies, but on average it'll be along the lines of £20 a year. But to become a member you'll have join the body that governs your chosen discipline. I'm a member of the NFAS (National Field Archery Society), and a year's membership £20.

But before you spend any money, book an introductionary lesson with a club like Bromley Archery (that's the one you mentioned on Whitefoot Lane), kit hire will be included in the price. If you like it, then book a few more lessons before making any sort of financial commitment. I started out with these lot, but was lucky enough to find-out about the lesser known discipline of field archery.

For further info on equipment prices, here's the link to the company I order from:

http://www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Are you coming out at last, BBW? I can't wait to see the creative talents of other posters as they imagine you in tight leggings of Lincoln Green!
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

I've never made a secret of my sport, Tim. And I've mentioned it on several occasions. It would seem that these creative posters you speak of may not be as creative as you think, or just haven't been paying enough attention, or perhaps both.
Duke of Clarence

Post by Duke of Clarence »

bigbadwolf wrote: It would seem that these creative posters you speak of may not be as creative as you think, or just haven't been paying enough attention, or perhaps both.
Ooo, is you trying to get a rise outa the Duke, Wolfman?
How dare thou question the flow of the superior creative juices that doth flow in abundance from Clarence House?

*glares daggers* *shakes fist*

If that be the case then I send a pox on the Wolf's Lair :evil: