Motorbike licence

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
lemonade

Motorbike licence

Post by lemonade »

Hello Everyone
I'm seriously thinking of putting those L plates back on and taking a motorbike test.
I passed my driving test several years ago and hold a full licence. I believe I need to sit a theory test as well as a practical.....and all this can be done in a week :?:
Has anyone passed their motorbike test lately or know more about this?
I'd rather get a bike large than 125cc. I'm looking to get a 250cc or so after I pass. Mainly to be used weekends and at other recreational times.
All advice would be appreciated.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Hi Lemonade,

Do it!

I can't be of direct help as I 'upgraded' from my full car licence back in 1992 just ahead of the new regime. I did my training up at Crystal Palace on what is now the bus terminus. AFAIR it was a council run school and the trainers were good old bikers (and one rather dashing bikeress on a MotoGuzzi!). Charges were minimal.

I bought a Honda CG125 for training - the 'Morris Minor' of bikes. Solid, it won't allow you to do much wrong and very economical. Avoid two strokes if you are the wrong side of 40. It makes you look & sound silly.

As for when you pass - you certainly want more than 125cc if you do more than inner-city commuting. Sadly there are very few decent 250cc bikes. Holding people back to 125cc while training makes people want to leap onto higher powered stuff at 500c or above. I have a Suzuki GS500E.

If you are feeling 'retro' you can still get new 250cc (Royal) Enfield Bulletts imported from India. Good luck and remember no congestion charge for bikes (yet) except those bendybusses are quite lethal for two wheelers! I think Uncle Ken wants to get rid of us one way or another...

Stuart
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Good luck with your quest to become one of 'those bloody maniacs'!!
lemonade

2 wheels V 4

Post by lemonade »

Hello Stuart.
Many thanks for your reply and advice. Many years ago I had a 125, but I swapped it for my first car back in 1984. (a mk2 Cortina) Yes I think I'll consider looking for a decent four-stroke as I've (only) just hit the big 40.
I had a go on a friends bike. Reluctantly he let me talk him into it....He knew I had no licence! Tut tut! But it was in Macro carpark. The bike was a Honda 250. Ever since I've become hooked. I had another brief go of one my neighbour's bikes. It is a BMW F650. It looks really mean and tuff - a Volvo of bikes...I'm probably wrong. The bike had a comfortable riding position but I found it very choppy. I REALLY wanted to be able to take it out on an open road....But I wouldn't want to lose my licence before I've even got one!
I have been looking at the DSA's website. They've got an excellent website which allows you to sit free mock theory tests. There are tests for cars and motorbikes. I think there's a bus one too. Apparently these theory tests are compulsory. There are 35 questions in each test. The pass rate is 30. There are many new signs and signals nowdays.....My excuse for getting 34.

Hey Rebelmc
I've promised myself I won't ever ride like a lunatic. I promise myself I won't speed whilst driving a car everytime I enter a motorway.....But after a few minutes I forget and go with the flow, often hitting upper 90's. (Typo for any police officers reading this:- Should say 70) :lol:
But seriously, I just want to get away from the queues and "enjoy" motoring more than with a car.

PS. Can anyone teach me stoppies, burnouts and wheelies!
:)
stuart

Post by stuart »

AFAIR 66% of accidents to motorcyclists are the car driver's fault. Certainly on a bike if you are to survive you need to imagine yourself into the driving postion of all those around you.

Indeed I would throw out all these theory tests and mandate that before you could drive a car you must have passed a motorbike test. Getting my bike licence gave me insights which I think made me a far safer car driver!

I wonder if SydSoc has a Hell's Angel section?

Stuart
soulfood

Post by soulfood »

I was thinking of getting a scooter to get me into town and back each day. The only person I know who rides a motor bike said "although I love bikes, it always makes me worry when non-biker friends say they're getting bikes" - which sort of put me off. I've cycled in London for 6 years, and was a cycle courier for a few months back in the day, so reckon I have a good two wheeler road sense. I've only ever ridden a scooter abroad though, but quite fancy the practicality of it. Wondered what you advice would be. I was thinking of just a basic 50cc bike.
stuart

Post by stuart »

50cc is OK in London itself. If you carry a little weight, (heavy briefcase:), coming up over Sydenham Hill at the end of the day may make it whine a little and a pillion would whine too! My brother-in-law commuted (alone) for years - but if you have got a major hill a few extra cc can make quite a difference.

IMHO a four stroke 125cc is perfect for hilly urban commuting (more expensive to buy but more economical to run, quieter and more useful low rev torque at the expense of top end speed).

Stuart
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

soulfood wrote:I was thinking of getting a scooter to get me into town and back each day. The only person I know who rides a motor bike said "although I love bikes, it always makes me worry when non-biker friends say they're getting bikes" - which sort of put me off. I've cycled in London for 6 years, and was a cycle courier for a few months back in the day, so reckon I have a good two wheeler road sense. I've only ever ridden a scooter abroad though, but quite fancy the practicality of it. Wondered what you advice would be. I was thinking of just a basic 50cc bike.
I have a 50cc to get me to London Bridge everyday. Yes up the hill it is pretty slow but i want to get used to a bike before I do my full bike test :)