Sydenham for Holiday

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
joyoz

Sydenham for Holiday

Post by joyoz »

We are coming over to the UK for 6 weeks at Christmas and have decided to stay in Sydenham for a week. We don't like tourist destinations. You see and meet much more if you stay with the locals. What I would like you all to help me with is this. As with any area there are no-go areas at certain times. We have a 10yo daughter and we prefer to walk most places, so where is safe and what would be good places to eat. :D
soulfood

Post by soulfood »

You've chosen a nice part of London for your stay, but it does have it's less salubrious areas. I'd recommend staying as close as possible to Sydenham Hill station or, failing that, Sydenham Station. Also don't rule our Crystal Palace - great views across london. And Dulwich is particulalry nice - one of the most desirable parts of London. It's close neighbour, East Dulwich has a great range of restaurants - but it depends whether you plan to cook for yourself. If you want some restaurant and pub recommendations this forum is packed full of them!

In general though it's basic city principles - don't wander around late at night, don't broadcast your tourist status, travel in a group. It's not a rough area, but you don;t want to invite trouble. I think you'll have a great time.
reasontobecheerful

Post by reasontobecheerful »

Is this a windup?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dunno - but if we are still around we hope to be using this site to promote Sydenham B&B to the world in 2012!

"Seated on a leafy Kent hillside only 30 mins from the Olympic Park ... "
(Perhaps this is the start of another 3 worder!)

Admin
joyoz

Post by joyoz »

Thanks for the replies and no it isn't a windup. I have friends who will tell you they have travelled the world. But they are in a hotel room all the time and never move outside the touristy places, and have never met people who live there. We could stay home and do that and save a lot of money. Hope I might run in to some of you at Christmas. Not literally of course. My driving isn't that bad. :lol:
dickp

Post by dickp »

agree with soulfood that dulwich, crystal palace and sydenham hill are much nicer than sydenham itself (but are all within 2 miles). crystal palace and forest hill have better bars and pubs than sydenham.

you can enjoy "local places" without subjecting yourself to cheap dime (?)stores, burger joints and nasty pubs!