Bat & Moth Safari - Sat 29 July

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Blushingsnail

Bat & Moth Safari - Sat 29 July

Post by Blushingsnail »

Saw details of this on a poster in Horniman Gardens:

Bat & Moth Safari, 9.00pm (yes, pm) Saturday 29 July, in Sydenham Hill Wood

Meet: entrance to the wood in Crescent Wood Road

It's a 2-3 mile walk, looking for nocturnal wildlife. Need to take a torch with new batteries and something to drink. Organised by the London Wildlife Trust, but it's not on their website.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Thanks for posting that B-Snail,
but i will be away at that time but it would have been interesting to go along to. :)
lemonade

Bat & Moth Safari - Review

Post by lemonade »

Hello Everyone
This evening I went out armed with my torch and bottle of water along to Sydenham Hill Woods for the Bat & Moth Safari.

I thought I'd provide you with a review.

I got there at about 8.45pm, just before it started to get dark. At 9.00pm the tour started. There were about 55-60 people at the event. Some of whom were children with their parents. Also a friendly dog who answered to the name of Schnapps. We were greeted by the Woods Manager & Wildlife Trust Representative; Ian & Andy. We were led into the woods and to our delight we saw numerous bats flying around. Both Ian & Andy carried Bat Detectors which allowed us to "hear" the bats as they flew overhead.
We were eventually led into a clearing within the wood, to Malcolm, a man brightly lit by the Mercury Vapour light used to illuminate his Moth Trap.

The safari was very interesting. I was pleased to see so many people there and it was good to know so many people were interested too.
Ian, Andy & Malcolm were all very knowledgeable and answered everyone's questions. The woods was very clean. I could not spot any litter or (Leaf you'll be pleased to hear) dog poo anywhere.
Overall I had an enjoyable time. Visitors and hosts were friendly and the weather was pleasant too. The event was well organised....And Free!

For those of you who missed it or would like to attend another, I'm told there will be another sometime in August in Dulwich Park. I am not certain of the exact date though. If anyone knows, I'd like to know. I'm told there are posters in Dulwich Park with all necessary details.
:D
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I was also at the bat and Moth safari and it was very interesting and enjoyable. I think sure they said that the one in Dulwich park is on the 12th August but I'm not certain.
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Juwlz wrote:I was also at the bat and Moth safari and it was very interesting and enjoyable. I think sure they said that the one in Dulwich park is on the 12th August but I'm not certain.
I think I read that in Dulwich park yesterday..

I missed this one as I had plans but will make sure I go to the next one it sounds great :)
SamC

bat and moth safary

Post by SamC »

hi lemonade. that was a lovely review you did and i enjoyed reading it. if i had known you were going to be there i would have come too.!!! well may be i will see you in dulwich park for the next one.??????
luv SamanthaXxX
lemonade

Re: bat and moth safary

Post by lemonade »

SamC wrote:hi lemonade. that was a lovely review you did and i enjoyed reading it. if i had known you were going to be there i would have come too.!!! well may be i will see you in dulwich park for the next one.??????
luv SamanthaXxX
Hello Samantha
Sorry to disappoint you, but I have no fixed plans to attend the next bat & moth safari.
But nevertheless, I'm sure you'll have a nice time without me.
SamC

now i am sad

Post by SamC »

boo hoo hoo :cry: i wish you were here :cry: